Ole Gunnar Solskjaer retires

Jonny68

Solskjaer retires
28/08/2007 - 13:18:31
Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed his retirement from football at the age of 34.

The Norwegian, who moved to Old Trafford 11 years ago and scored the winner in the 1999 Champions League final, has decided to step down after continuing problems with a knee injury.

Solskjaer will remain at the club in a coaching capacity and will represent Manchester United as an official ambassador.

Solskjaer said: “I would like to thank the manager. The coaching and medical staff and most of all the supporters, who have supported me through my career.

“They have been fantastic and were a real inspiration to me when I was out injured.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhcwojmhmhcw/

Players like Solskjaer are few are far between, he could've left United several times over the years when he wasn't getting regular first team football for bigger money but choose to stick it out, a model professional i wish him all the very best in the future.8)

Players like Solskjaer are few are far between, he could've left United several times over the years when he wasn't getting regular first team football for bigger money but choose to stick it out, a model professional i wish him all the very best in the future.8)

I'm not knocking the man, though I'm not sure why a supposed world class striker accepting that they will always be third choice as 'model professionalism'.

He has had the career many a player would have died for though.

Good lad I say :D

I'm not knocking the man, though I'm not sure why a supposed world class striker accepting that they will always be third choice as 'model professionalism'.

He has had the career many a player would have died for though.

Good lad I say :D

It's called LOYALTY to a club you love mate something that's sadly lacking in the game thesedays, Ole on his day was world class but suffered badly with injuries over the years as well.

Top man Ole.:)

It's called LOYALTY to a club you love mate something that's sadly lacking in the game thesedays, Ole on his day was world class but suffered badly with injuries over the years as well.

Top man Ole.:)

I will step back from my self imposed restiction on talking football with you (the nice ref to the Rangers fans was the last straw)...to say...

Ole - world class?

Henry yes. Rhonaldinho yes. Maradonna yes. Owen when fit...yes maybe.

Ole? One famous goal and that was a toe poke..world class?

a 'top bloke' maybe, a model professional...perhaps...world class? Not a chance.

Just to clarify, i'm a Liverpool fan & I dont think we have 1 world class striker. Maybe in a few years, not now.

Loyalty and lack of ambition can be interchangeable....is Claudio Cuddicini loyal?

Loyalty and lack of ambition can be interchangeable....is Claudio Cuddicini loyal?
Do you mean Carlo Cudicini, the 2nd best goalkeeper in the Premier League?

In his case, it's definitely loyalty (though his patience is wearing a bit thin lately, unfortunately.. Mourinho should have let him back on the pitch sooner last winter when Cech was out and he was coming back from injury).

I will step back from my self imposed restiction on talking football with you (the nice ref to the Rangers fans was the last straw)...to say...

Ole - world class?

Henry yes. Rhonaldinho yes. Maradonna yes. Owen when fit...yes maybe.

Ole? One famous goal and that was a toe poke..world class?

a 'top bloke' maybe, a model professional...perhaps...world class? Not a chance.

Just to clarify, i'm a Liverpool fan & I dont think we have 1 world class striker. Maybe in a few years, not now.

Matter of opinion mate but he has done enough over the years at all levels to warrant it IMO

And what do you expect me to say about Rangers, i am a Celtic fan after all, you hardly think they would be cheering us on now do you.;)

Do you mean Carlo Cudicini, the 2nd best goalkeeper in the Premier League?

In his case, it's definitely loyalty (though his patience is wearing a bit thin lately, unfortunately.. Mourinho should have let him back on the pitch sooner last winter when Cech was out and he was coming back from injury).

Sorry yes, Carlo.

I accept he may well be the second best keeper in the premier league...and you Chelsea guys will of course know better than me, but it seems crazy that someone so talented elects to spend so little time on the pitch:confused:

So...Ronaldhino - what do you reckon?! Is he coming? I really hope so, for the sake of football, but it somehow seems to good to be true.

So...Ronaldhino - what do you reckon?! Is he coming? I really hope so, for the sake of football, but it somehow seems to good to be true.
It'd be amazing to have him. Even if he wasn't at his best last season, that's better than 99% of the other players on earth!

I'd be worried they'd tackle the hell out of him in England though. Imagine him playing at Blackburn!

I think there's a lot of noise in the media right now. In the minds of the English press, there's no such thing as just meeting someone.

yeah, in the MEN tonight theres talk of a commemorative plaque on the subs bench saying:

"Ole....he loved the view from here"

:lol:

on a more serious note does that mean that theres now a bed free in the "Louis Saha" ward at carrington? :lol:

yeah, in the MEN tonight theres talk of a commemorative plaque on the subs bench saying:

"Ole....he loved the view from here"

:lol:

on a more serious note does that mean that theres now a bed free in the "Louis Saha" ward at carrington? :lol:

You may owe me a grand....as I spit my coffee on my laptop:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumour is that United plan to fill the gap left by Solskjaer with a medical bag and a lucozade carrier....

In fact, didn't they put in those Audi subs seats to help with his 'Farmer Giles'? :D

Scored a good 3 yard tap in to win the European Cup for United but f..k all else....:rolleyes:

Rumour is that United plan to fill the gap left by Solskjaer with a medical bag and a lucozade carrier....

In fact, didn't they put in those Audi subs seats to help with his 'Farmer Giles'? :D

Scored a good 3 yard tap in to win the European Cup for United but f..k all else....:rolleyes:

If you bothered to look up his stats i think you'll find your talking crap:rolleyes:

one of many brilliant Solskjaer moments

One of his most impressive feats was coming off the bench to score four goals in the last twelve minutes of United's 8-1 thrashing of Nottingham Forest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Gunnar_Solskjær

I take on board what a man like Paddy Crerand says rather than some fools who slag off Solskjaer.

United Legend Says Solskjaer Is One Of The Greats Reaction to the news that Manchester United’s Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hanging up his boots has been flooding in, this time Old Trafford legend Paddy Crerand thinks that the striker should be ranked as on of the greats.

The 34-year-old announced his retirement on Tuesday after a lengthy battle with injury.
Crerand thinks the ‘baby-faced assassin’ should go down in history as one of the best United players of all time.
"Ole is a man who is respected and loved by everyone at Old Trafford and, as far as I’m concerned, he’s up there with the likes of Law, Best and Charlton as one of the legendary figures in United’s history," Crerand told United Review.
"Of course, that goal in Barcelona in ‘99 is the one that everyone will always remember him for, but we mustn’t forget all the important goals he scored throughout his Reds’ career.
"He's got unvaluable experience of playing at the top level and winning trophies and that will only benefit him as a coach," says Paddy. "Ole has done things for Manchester United that people only dream about. Hopefully he'll now be able to help others realise their dreams."

http://goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=396817

i didn't know Solskjaer used Spotlight??

Ole was a lovely bloke it seems, no doubting that. World class ? No. Simple as. Model professional ? Maybe, but definately agree with what Dan says, any player who sits on the bench at any club doesn't agree with my morals but definately a big loss to the game, also not sure about the comment he could have gone elsewhere for more money, where exactly ? That is very doubtful.

Morbyd, without deliberately being massively patronising but you seem to have typical foreign Chelsea supporter syndrome. If you for one minute think Cudicini is the Premiership's second best goal keeper, your very much mistaken. You have made a few comments thinking Chelsea are the best at everything and everything they do is perfect, far from it. Infact, the Chelsea team at the moment is weak as hell IMO, if it wasn't for such an unbelievably poor United team and a Liverpool team which isn't quite cutting the mustard as of yet, you would be third. But then again, if my auntie had bo.llocks she'd be my uncle.

Back