Obama wins Nobel peace prize.

Seems to be more for saying than doing (as yet), but if it encourages him to stay on the right path, and drag the rest of the world with him, then all good in the hood, I reckon!8)

Hmmm.....the internet seems quite angry about this in some places. Much grumbling that he's just approved sending another 40,000 troops to Afghanistan......

But the whole idea of Afghanistan is to bring stability to a country that spent 30 years in civil war, and to destroy an organization that spreads terrorism around the world. Surely, a worthy battle for peace?

But the whole idea of Afghanistan is to bring stability to a country that spent 30 years in civil war, and to destroy an organization that spreads terrorism around the world. Surely, a worthy battle for peace?

You're applying logic and intelligence Morbs. These people are from the the internet.:lol:

I agree to an extent. But you try telling that to the families of the British Dead and wounded. :(

You're applying logic and intelligence Morbs. These people are from the the internet.:lol:

Morbs Applying intelligence and logic :confused: :?: :?:

Going back to Obama. I agree that it is premature, very premature. He has actually not done a great deal in his time in office, apart from spending billions in trying to rescue the economy, unavoidably. But does giving hope warrant a 'nobel peace prize' ?

Out of the record number of nominees surely there are people more worthy of winning it :?: After all it is quite premature for Obama to even be nominated IMO.

agree with both sides here to a degree, but I will say it illustrates how far the US has come, ie, what would the be chances of "dubya" ever winning this??

Well, if you give it for speeches -- his pre-election speech on US race relations, his address to the Muslim world, his call for nuclear disarmament, his UN address... Also could have been weak crop of other candidates.

I wonder how his staff is reacting this morning (6am EST right now). He's a smart guy and has smart people around him and I'm sure the feeling in the White House will be something akin to "holy sh1t! Are you serious!?". He'll have to accept with grace and humility, point out some of the many others that deserve recognition, and use it as a platform to advance some of his geopolitical vision.

jjinit said:
agree with both sides here to a degree, but I will say it illustrates how far the US has come, ie, what would the be chances of "dubya" ever winning this??
I was just writing that to someone elsewhere. How cool is it (as an American) that the world respects our leader again. It's been a while!

Well, if you give it for speeches -- his pre-election speech on US race relations, his address to the Muslim world, his call for nuclear disarmament, his UN address... Also could have been weak crop of other candidates.

I wonder how his staff is reacting this morning (6am EST right now). He's a smart guy and has smart people around him and I'm sure the feeling in the White House will be something akin to "holy sh1t! Are you serious!?". He'll have to accept with grace and humility, point out some of the many others that deserve recognition, and use it as a platform to advance some of his geopolitical vision.

I was just writing that to someone elsewhere. How cool is it (as an American) that the world respects our leader again. It's been a while!

Very true Johnny!!

for the record, I had the utmost respect for Bill Clinton........but probably for all the wrong reasons ;)

I generally think nobel peace prizes shouldn't go to western politicians - they should be for the people on the ground, under house arrest, risking their lives in the dangerzones etc. I like Obama but waay too early to start giving him prizes for contributions to peace.

as for afghanistan - new strategy needed ASAP - old school military occupations (as demonstrated by Muja Hadin and Vietcong in the past) don't work against renegades, militias, suicide bombers, people hidden in trees etc - you need a more intelligent and covert approach but above all have some coherent objectives and this war has been a disaster thus far - both militarily and in public relations....

Also could have been weak crop of other candidates...
He'll have to accept with grace and humility, point out some of the many others that deserve recognition, and use it as a platform to advance some of his geopolitical vision.
Olly said:
they should be for the people on the ground, under house arrest, risking their lives in the dangerzones etc.
I wondered who else had been nominated. According to the AP:

"Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist."

Interesting group, esp. Tsvangirai.

This might be a calculated risk by the Nobel committee. Obama's got the world's ear right now. If he chooses to highlight the work of these other nominees, it could do more positive for their plights than the prize alone. :idea:

His Predecessor Mr Bush makes him look like a big Teddy Bear......Obama even has a cute little puppy dog in the white house (along with a doberman called Mrs Clinton).

I think the Swedes are trying to "promote" the idea of Peace to the Democratic party in the US and plant a seed of hope that may or may not work. Its worth a chance though, as the rewards if successful will be great. Americans love to win awards so you never know.......

Sorry, but I think Nobel is such a depreciate price, and this price to Obama proves my opinion.

He is a great charisma, he is a lot of goods things but all he has done is to talk. There's hundreds of people and organisations who, imo, at the moment deserve much more the price than someone who only has made "declarations of intentions" (does it make any sense?)

I wonder what if Iran thing gets complicated and he finally sends a missil there. What about his nobel price? Would he send it back to Sweden?
Or if he finally brings his words to reality, would be finally name him oficial king of the world? :rolleyes:

This reminds me when Spain gave the Principe de Asturias price to Fernando Alonso when he still hadn't won anything :confused:

I completely understand where you are coming from. Its a valid opinion to have and im sure many people have the same viewpoint. You just have to take it on faith that the Nobel committee know what they are doing and have facts and figures to hand to support the nomination. The Swedes are not known for their fanciful flights of imagination

Nothing ventured nothing gained would be my reading on it.

Back