Obama wins Nobel peace prize.

But the whole idea of Afghanistan is to bring stability to a country that spent 30 years in civil war, and to destroy an organization that spreads terrorism around the world. Surely, a worthy battle for peace?

Thats the point, but will it ever be achieved? It seems unlikely. We will never destroy terrorism with battles, just make it more extreme and hidden. So it's a flawed decision to throw more at it.

Very strange decision. Wait until we have concrete results, such as Iran chilled out, an Israel/Palestine settlement, a secure Iraq etc surely?

OBAMA nobel peace prize ? Guantanamo Bay still open , troops in Iraq and drones killing innocent villagers in Afghanistan. Very messed up scenario in my opinion...

Thats the point, but will it ever be achieved? It seems unlikely. We will never destroy terrorism with battles, just make it more extreme and hidden. So it's a flawed decision to throw more at it.
Perhaps, but unlike Bush, he's opened up a diplomatic front as well. An olive branch. Starting with Cairo and continuing when he made Netanyahu shake Abbas' hand.

Judging by Morbyd's facebook updates, he seems more excited with this news than any of Chelsea's previous Premiership triumphs 8)

i'm happy for you mate, i know living outside your home country this must mean more for you!

Not that i agree with it ;)

They'll give these ****ers out like ASBOs nowadays.

Even that fella who built the bomb got one for his trouble. Never understood that. As it really didn't fit the definition of peaceful.

I hear Johnny69 is on the longlist for next years award for his efforts to restore harmony after the troubles. And roman polanski is going to get one for highlighting what a ****ing arsehole Whoppee Goldberg is.

I think Obama is a good man, but so's my dad.

I think it ruins the credibility of the award by giving it to him this early (Obama, not my Dad) as hopefully he'll achieve things actually worthy of the accolade during his term.

I agree with Olly's point too.

I hear you too Agent undercover: if that bloke from Shantaram couldn't sort out the afghan situation, then what hope does Obama have eh? :lol:

I'd like to be awarded a gold medal and $1.7m for doing nothing.... :cry:

Obama wins Olympic gold
Andrew Bolt – Saturday, October 10, 09 (11:21 am)

More sensational news from Norway:

Barack Obama has won the 100 metres at the London Olympics, to be run in 2012.

IOC spokesman Che Riviera said the committee had decided to award Obama the gold medal after the president made a series of speeches in which he promised to run an astonishing 9.5 seconds.

“Obama captured the world’s attention, and expressed values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world’s population,” Riviera said.

“We would hope this will enhance what he is trying to do.”

UPDATE

Tim Blair notes a sudden cooling in Obama’s home town.

Obama wins Olympic gold
Andrew Bolt – Saturday, October 10, 09 (11:21 am)

More sensational news from Norway:

Barack Obama has won the 100 metres at the London Olympics, to be run in 2012.

IOC spokesman Che Riviera said the committee had decided to award Obama the gold medal after the president made a series of speeches in which he promised to run an astonishing 9.5 seconds.

“Obama captured the world’s attention, and expressed values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world’s population,” Riviera said.

“We would hope this will enhance what he is trying to do.”

UPDATE

Tim Blair notes a sudden cooling in Obama’s home town.

pretty much sums it up!

Obama

I think it is to early for the Nobel prize. I am proud he got it like Morbid. It is such a relief to have someone in the White house who can make statements and give press briefings; that does not seem like the kid who read the back cover of a book and is now trying to give a book report. Good bye Dubya too bad you stayed so long.

I think i'm on two tracks for this having read more. One is it a 'good' happening? - yes of course it is. If it helps facilitate in one teeny tiny little way the world wide group hug that we need big time. And if it underlines to the people of, say, Iran, the step change in approach and attitude from the US then ace.

But of course the flip side is that the concept of the Nobel peace prize being for achieving is over. However, to be fair, in interviews the committee chairman has been open about this, saying it is for the hope he brings & the framework for discussion he creates (paraphrased big time). If those are the terms of reference then he is a worthy winner.

Back