• Pepe Roselló announces the opening of a new Space •

They should come up with a new concept, simular by all means but awayyyy unless it's the same blueprints, layout, sound, simular nights / line ups then it's not Space to me. I'm all for seeing a new club open on the island and I have great respect for the man but just leave the legacy to what it is and the punters remember.

Well if it was at the “Heart venue”, instead of watching planes, you could sit on the roof terrace and watch the Ferraris and the Porsches go in and out of the Marina. You can marvel at just how the new Space is so egalitarian, anti-VIP and down to Earth and unpretentious...
Space was great, but it still had as with everywhere else very high ticket prices and expensive drinks. So it wasn’t some type or anti corporate utopia.

Space was great, but it still had as with everywhere else very high ticket prices and expensive drinks. So it wasn’t some type or anti corporate utopia.

The people have to understand : There is absolutely no anti corporate utopia in ibiza. Nowhere.
Everyone wants to have a business and want to earn much as possible. Thats it.
Also the hippy thing ( with some exceptions ) : Peace and Love ? No . Correct : Peace and Love and money. Ok , there are some hippy people inn
ibiza who live in a better world mentally.
But it doesnt matter : Wanna have a good time , wanna be loaded

The people have to understand : There is absolutely no anti corporate utopia in ibiza. Nowhere.
Everyone wants to have a business and want to earn much as possible. Thats it.
Also the hippy thing ( with some exceptions ) : Peace and Love ? No . Correct : Peace and Love and money. Ok , there are some hippy people inn
ibiza who live in a better world mentally.
But it doesnt matter : Wanna have a good time , wanna be loaded

correct, although I think running a good business and offering something leftfield/exciting don't necessarily have to be incompatible. Space obv wasn't undergound but with the right bookings and marketing, the bigger rooms could effectively bankroll the smaller ones (or what we used to call backrooms), which had the leeway to take things deeper.

The problem seems to me that anyone wanting to do anything different on a smaller scale is immediately caught between commercial pressures on the one hand and political obstacles on the other. Personally I would love a small-mid-sized venue (indoor or out, I don't care) that offered a casual mix of live performance, bands and more obscure or improvised DJ stuff + maybe other arts too and the nearest right now seems to be Dalias or sometimes Pikes, but they're obv restricted in scope.

Pepe could try and acquire a venue similar to the much-missed Aura and pitch it firmly at the adults but a/that's not his ambition and b/ it ain't gonna happen. These are risk-averse times, so the DJ garbage served up on billboards is what we're stuck with whether he or we like it or not.

I stop dream of Space in the ruins of Festival Club. 😰 😰 I liked this idea!

DJI_0012-870x420.jpg

the nearest right now seems to be Dalias or sometimes Pikes, but they're obv restricted in scope.
This.

Any bigger and you have to appeal to a larger audience to keep it profitable. Business owners also leverage (borrow) to scale up in size, so they then have to worry about repayment. This is a 'tough ask' with a large dedicated nightclub venue.

I think we should be happy that about the Dalias' and Pike's currently on the island. They have the flexibility to offer what they do, because it is simply a add-on and not key to the profitability of the whole. Asking for a 5,000-10,000 venue to play underground music, or any other 'alternative' styles on a regular basis, is a practice in cognitive dissonance. Small is beautiful anyway.

Let's count our blessings!

Quite a ramble from Pepe there

Space have done a 'watch this Space' post on Instagram...
Space should have sorted themselves out years before their lease was going to expire if they had any genuine intention of relocating. The only way they are coming back is to take on a venue that already has a licence with a majority investor that sees value in the name. If that happens, Pepe maybe the front man but he won’t be the majority of the money. The reality is space is irrelevant to the age group they will need to come in to make it work. Unfortunately

From the VERY outside, why did they shut down in the first place? It seems like it wasn't consensual, and if that's the case why not go somewhere else for a few night s a week and go from there? Seems fishy AF

Back