NIE Problem?

Lukes

I've heard a rumour that this year the police station in Eivissa are not issuing NIE numbers unless they are given a work contract. :spank:

Now that sort of creates a catch 22 situation for the summer workers as they need it to get the work contract.:cry:

I'm sorted as already have mine but I know some people who are hoping to get one this year.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

whilst catch 22 situations are an ibiza speciality, your rumour is groundless. an nie is needed for much more than working; buying a house or car to name but two. ignore whatever you heard, it just isn't true.

i do have some personal experience of the copper on the door at the comisaria and i'm not getting concerned by the experience of a girl whose first time it is in ibiza at that office. i have however put in a call to my gestor who works solely in this area to get the exact lowdown on the situation.

ubelievable but true. why did i say unbelievable then, i keep promising myself that i'll never say it again here.

this is happening only in ibiza. i reckon it's to save themselves some work! if you want an nie you have to have proof of the reason why. so to buy a 2 million euro mansion you have to queue up at 7 in the morning with your sales contract! my gestor has speculatated that by the time may comes when there are so many people at the door they'll change the system back. we'll see!

All the good jobs are going to be going to people who have worked there before because none of the employers would want that hassle with people who don't have NIE's!

Thank god I've got one, except my friend wont be pleased!

Thanks for finding out Stephen

Surely this is going to see a rise in "illegal" workers then?....more than there usually is? Not a good idea I dont think!

I only manage a huuuuge sigh whenever I consider to get in the queue for my Residencia....and never quite make it!:rolleyes: Maybe next year!

lou, don't bother with residencia. the only time you'll need it (there is no legal requirement to have one if you're an ec citizen) is when you come to sell your house.

stephen said:
lou, don't bother with residencia. the only time you'll need it (there is no legal requirement to have one if you're an ec citizen) is when you come to sell your house.

Yes....I had heard that it is ESSENTIAL to have residencia when selling my house....however, I would like it as some form of ID here I guess....

Funny story....very rarely do I carry my passport in my bag (who does?) so when I went last Saturday to do a bit of shopping in Marks & Spencer & Safeway in Gibraltar (sad I know! Cant keep away from British things!)....imagine my shock when the woman on the "customs" at the Gibraltar border wouldnt let me in with my PHOTO ID driving licence.....what a bloomin cheek!!! Turns out you have to have a passport....ridiculous! How does she think I even got into Spain in the first place?! Swam?!!! And it isnt as if I look slightly dodgy!!!:x

Funny thing is the Spanish chappy on the customs was more than happy to let me through....!:lol: Peeved me off a bit as I´m "sure" some of those sneaky looking "foreigners" from just across the water (know where I mean?!;) ) were probably sauntering in on their "legal" passports!:lol:

stephen said:

i think its gonna be required also when i apply to put my kids in an ibicenco school.:confused:

just to clarify stephen, although its no longer a legal requirement if an EU citizen, can you actually still get one anyway??

yes, both me and the mrs have them even though as ec citizens we don't 'need' them. i got mine when it was a legal requirement. jaki never had one because of all the obstacles they put in her way ( a long story )

when we bought the house and sold the apartment, the powers that be decided that; even though we were married, and even though jaki lived here with me, and even though she was registered at the town hall, and that even though she had an nie, and that even though we were reinvesting every single centimo of profit on the apartment on the purchase of the house, which was taking place simultaneously in the same notary's office, she still had to pay advance capital gains tax because to all intents and purposes she was a foreigner. still it only took us 9 months to get it back!

interestingly we knew this would probably happen and applied for residencia months beforehand. the residencia came through 3 days after we exchanged contracts and had the tax automatically deducted at the notary's office.

in theory you won't need residencia to put your kids through school - this of course may change!

Im confused. i worked last summer as a 18-30 rep to start with then saw the light and became a worker so i have an nie already. im coming out with my girlfriend this year who does not have one. i thought you needed nie before a contract could be formed. Do you just need a note off the boss to get one along with all the other essentials ?? I would be glad of anyones help. Thanks

Russ

Russ looks like your girlfriend will need to get a job with an official contract before getting her NIE but then again you can only get that with an NIE number.

A complete catch 22 situation! Dunno whats gonna happen to all the 1st season workers!!

oh dear. lets all get down on our knees and prey for the best then. i go in 5 weeks lets hope its sorted by then. otherwise its over to cheesy magaluf. ha no chance !!!!.

Thanks fo clearing that up !!

if you do need your contract to get your nie, you will proberly need a precontract, same contract people from outside the eu need to get their nie.
but then again i am not sure, was just a thought.
about the residencia, its also handy for the discounts on plane and ferry, 33% can be a huge saving.

i have booked 9 nights in playa den bossa, but if i have no luck over there after 5 days will be straight back to san an. behind a bar somewhere. probably funky flares he he im good mates with simba and bobby the ibiza veterans. simba has pr'd for there for the last 5 years and is still loving it. im open to any job cant afford to be picky cos i found last year if you are all the good jobs go rather quick. where are you working ?

Knew I'd read about this somewhere.

Does anyone know the current situation about getting your N.I.E then? Will be a first time worker there so was planning to just go queue up for one (earlyish)

Back