New York

Buckley

I love it. Just back.

Highlights

The WTC Tribute Center - so, so sad :cry:. The enormity of what happened really hits you. A strange 'high'light, but important to see I think.

Sunday in Brooklyn - met my childhood best friend after not seeing him for 5 years and seeing very little of him for the last ten. Remembering A-Team sweatshirts and Campri ski jackets while getting hideously drunk was like a personal 'I love the 80's' show without the c-list talking heads.

Dinner here - http://www.taorestaurant.com/ on our last night. Great food and great setting made cheap by the weak dollar.

Staying here http://www.parkermeridien.com/index1.php and realising they allow pets! Never stayed in a hotel with lots of dogs before! (Leave it!:lol:)

'The Back Room' - a faux 'speakeasy' in the East Village with bottles served in paper bags and spirits served in cups and saucers, entered through a secret alley.8)

Lows

BA! Lamb cutlets for 'brunch' at half nine in the morning on the way out???? The missus is vegetarian (well a Pescatarian in fact, but I digress). They had no record of the veggie meal we'd booked on the way out and then served her cheese tortellini for breakfast at 9.30 on the way back. They claimed it was 'brunch' not breakfast before serving my 'normal' meal of bacon, scrambled eggs and mushroom etc. Clearly breakfast!

They then served her an egg sandwich at 4pm - might they have dug that out at breakfast time, with a little effort? Twunts!

What have I missed here? Who's off to SW4? I may be.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you had a fantastic time Buckley, i love the idea of that "speakeasy" joint - gin served in tea cups? just like my grannies house.;)

Nice hotel too.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time Buckley, i love the idea of that "speakeasy" joint - gin served in tea cups? just like my grannies house.;)

Nice hotel too.

Does your granny live in NY? Is it possible she's a bit of entrepreneur?:lol:

How many holidays :eek: :?: :lol:

Ny is great, It is my fave city off all time. We're going back for thanksgiving this november and staying here again
http://www.tribecagrand.com/ Can't recommend it enough if you return.

Will have to visit the tribute center, wasnt open when we were there last. Been to ground zero obviously, which was moving in it self, but will defo try the centre this trip.

How nice are the new yorkers ? And how good is the shopping (esp with the rate) ?

Pescaratian...so your missus is something of a reformist?? sounds a bit fishy to me ;)

nice post as ever Buckers! my sister in law is just back from there and she loved it too. Not sure she frequented "fat sams" though.

A chap needs a holiday now and again Liam!:lol:

That hotel looks good. Next time.......(Next week?:lol:)

Shopping? Indeed. Currently sorting three Mastercuts triple CD sets onto the Ipod. $10 a pop!

Just realised it was Tao you went to. :lol: Love it there, last time we were there, we were sat next to the huge Buddha, and on the next table was Ben stiller and Owen Wilson, Starsky and Hutch 8) Food and cocktails aregreat, and i love the buzzy pagers ;)

Table for two on the right side of the Buddha as you look at it? If so, us too!

Yeah, the pagers are fun, another detail that's the same as The Buddha Bar in Paris if you're there anytime.

Nice hotel too.

Mr PL's Grandad used to "run" (whatever that entails :eek:) a speakeasy for Big Al C back in the "day" in NY ..... :lol::lol::lol:

How much were the flights at such short notice? I'm heading over Oct/Nov... was gonna head over last min a month ago, but flights were about 700.

Flights and hotel were 2132 quid for the two of us from Expedia. I almost had to cancel and when I rang up about refunds it transpired the hotel was 1100 so the flights were 500 return each.

Table for two on the right side of the Buddha as you look at it? If so, us too!

Yeah, the pagers are fun, another detail that's the same as The Buddha Bar in Paris if you're there anytime.

Yup, just right of the Buddha :confused: , coincidence huh ? We went there feb 13th 2004, got engaged the following day in Central park 8)

Next time your in Vegas try Tao at the Venetian, it's cool aslo 8)

Yup, just right of the Buddha :confused: , coincidence huh ? We went there feb 13th 2004, got engaged the following day in Central park 8)

Next time your in Vegas try Tao at the Venetian, it's cool aslo 8)

looking at Vegas for my 40th, thats the 2nd reccomendation I've heard for the Venetian, good then??

Definitely need to spend some time in NYC sometime soon. Considered it as an add on to this October's SF trip but Ibiza costs banjoed the idea. Think Im rubbering Ibiza next year.

Like the sound of that speakeasy.

I love it. Just back.

Highlights

The WTC Tribute Center - so, so sad :cry:. The enormity of what happened really hits you. A strange 'high'light, but important to see I think.
What have I missed here? Who's off to SW4? I may be.....

Yes very sad place. Very eerie.

I stayed at this gaff http://www.jollymadison.com/ and ate here http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/adecNY/main.cfm?pp=0

We were told to avoid Asia de Cuba as the women there were just after rich blokes and their dough! Didn't bother me as I was skint! Luckily the girls didn't discriminate!

Was only there a couple days really. Won a competiton in the currant bun and so had all the trimmings limo transfers etc. We were supposed to be seeing Dave Matthews Band but never heard of him so got the concierge fella to flog the tickets for $300.

We were supposed to be seeing Dave Matthews Band but never heard of him so got the concierge fella to flog the tickets for $300.
Bad move! They're a good band and one of their key members just died yesterday!

Good stuff, Buckley. As was telling you elsewhere, it's quite sad that my annual pilgrimage to the motherland only seems to get me as far as the parents' place down south. Need to get back to the City!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back