Needing advice

"ibizatom"

Right, like I'm sure a lot of people on here experience, I've been back and fourth in my head for years of whether to move to ibiza or not. I think I can be classed as an island veteran now as I'm going for the 12th time in 7 years in September. I recently split from my long term gf and one of the reasons was she said she was unwilling to live abroad, let alone ibiza, for the foreseeable or possibly even ever. I'm 28 and have been saving for a deposit for a couple of years and am hoping in around 2 years I'll be in a pretty good position to get a decent pad. I plan to rent a place out of season for 2/3 months before I dive in and buy one incase I don't like it. My reason for writing all this is looking for answers to the following questions...

As I'm doing this alone, is it lonely in winter? I've been out of season 3 times but it's obviously very different if you're there permanently.

I don't have a trade. I work in manufacturing. What all year round work will I realistically be looking at?

Where would people advice to look for property? I usually stay in San antonio Bay but out of season I know it'll be a ghost town. I like the North but will I be a bit too cut off there when it comes to the social aspect?

To anyone else that's done this alone, how easy was it to meet new people in winter? I'm very out going so don't struggle getting to know new people.

Is it possible to work through the summer and support yourself through winter from that?

Sorry for the essay but now I have no ties I'm going to say screw it and give it a go.

Thanks in advance x

right, replies to some of your quiestions...

- if you don´t have a network of friends that live on the island all year around, you might indeed end up feeling lonely in winter. no matter how outgoing you are, it simply takes time until you meet people and those people then turn into friends. even workers that have done summer seasons beforehand and then decide to stay in the winter feel that in their first winter - it´s a different thing if you do a summer season here or if you stay all year around. eventually you do get a network of friends and then you´re fine, but it is something to consider for sure.

- learn spanish.

- there are estate agents all over the island and on the web.

- to the question whether it is possible to work through summer and survive in winter with that - this used to be the case, but we are now talking about 10 years ago. I don´t know a lot of people who make enough in the summer to then stay here in winter without doing anything.

Would you advise me to maybe go out about April then and get a job in a restaurant or bar open all year round?

I will definitely make sure I'm as fluent as possible before making a permanent move.

I did see an apartment in a block at the start of the sunset strip for a decent price but would it be hard to meet new people in San an in winter? Also I think as I get older having drunk teenagers outside my door for 5 months of the year could get quite tiresome :lol: however there is that sunset I could look at every night.

With there being more flights in winter from UK compared to 10 years ago. Would you say the winter tourism scene is growing?

well if you go in winter you have the advantage of finding places to live easier. but it´s harder to meet people I´d say.
if you go in spring and start with a summer season, you will a) find work easier (at least for summer - all year round jobs are hard to get) and b) make friends, again at least for summer. but it´ll be harder to find a place to live.

as a suggestion, I would start by renting a place for a while (a season or a year) to see whether you really like it. you can still buy a place after that, but I woulnd´t just go and buy a place right away.

yes winter tourism is growing, but it is very much little by little. don´t expect to turn it into a full year destination quickly.

Maybe a year before I want to do it then I'll try that out.

For a single man doing it alone. What area of the island would you suggest for reasonable pricing, a few all year round bars and restaurants, and potential to meet at least a few people that live there all year round?

Like I mentioned before. I like San an bay but know it closes up in winter, as does San an. And from the small amount I've seen I enjoy San Miguel but I assume I'd have the same issue?

san an bay does get very quiet in winter that´s true.

either san an itself or then ibiza town area (that one isn´t cheap though). another pretty good option is santa eularia, which is a) completely all year round and b) still pretty reasonable when it comes to prices.

Yeah santa eularia is a great shout actually. I never really considered it because I thought prices would be at a premium.

Although I love partying I do it less and less at home these days. I love clubbing in ibiza but my real love and reason for wanting to be there is for the winter solitude and chance to sit on a beach alone at sunset. Saying that I know I can't be alone for 6 months without going crazy so need to meet some people on here before I go out maybe so I can hit up sankeys through winter.

Ibiza property shop is a good place to start looking.

I was in a similar position to you in that a long term relationship ended and I had no ties to the UK so was looking at opportunities/places in Ibiza.

If you're thinking of hitting up sankeys in wintero_O maybe you're not ready for the move just yet..:)

It can't be any worse than the bars near me. £6 entry. £4 a pint. All to watch lads in women's jeans and girls pouting for the dog filter :lol:

Ive been in winter a few times and always stay in figueretas where most bars and restaurants open with Friday and Saturday being nice and busy. Something on most weekends for the year rounders so you will be meeting same people at alot of party's.. I wouldn't worry about been lonely,lots of exploring to be had. I think finding year long work will be the biggest hurdle.. but you might be lucky..

I know someone who house sits all winter for an Israeli family in cala vadella,he's been doing it for years but only started driving last year. First few years he nearly cracked up :lol:

Ive been in winter a few times and always stay in figueretas where most bars and restaurants open with Friday and Saturday being nice and busy. Something on most weekends for the year rounders so you will be meeting same people at alot of party's.. I wouldn't worry about been lonely,lots of exploring to be had. I think finding year long work will be the biggest hurdle.. but you might be lucky..

Never been to figueretas. I'll have to check it out. Been San an, San Miguel, santa eularia and ibiza town out of season. Love San an out of season. Sitting and watching the sunset with nobody around is the best thing in the world.

I know someone who house sits all winter for an Israeli family in cala vadella,he's been doing it for years but only started driving last year. First few years he nearly cracked up :lol:

House sitting......where do I apply? :lol::cool:

Back