+++ My winter trip (with photos) +++

tclubber

Arrived yesterday at about 5pm. Is the weather in winter always that bad?? Rainy and foggy.

After picking up the rental car, drove to the Salines beach (the usual routine after arriving in the summer). Not surprisingly, I was the only person there. All restaurants were obviusly closed, but Jockey's club didn't look as abandoned as the other places - they had provisionary walls and door installed. Does that place open in winter as well? It is probably as remote from any human settlements as it can get...

Drove to PdB then. The place is dead, with just a pharmacy and a couple of bars open. Some hotels even had fences erected around their entrances (sure doesn't stop the famous Ibiza thieves from stealing everything valuable from the rooms :lol: ).

Drove to the Ibiza town from there. Here the first shock: even in winter, there are traffic jams and it is difficult to find a parking spot. I always thought all those nasty cars clogging the streets and preventing me from driving quickly were just other tourists like me... but it seems they are locals.

The area by the harbor (where all the tourist/music shops are) was completely deserted, with all shops closed down for winter (a lot of windows closed off with wood). The area around Paseo Vara de Rey looked quite lively however, if not a carnival-related tent in the middle and the cold temperature, one could think it was summer. Around 50% of all cafes were open. The food prices are exactly like in the summer (expensive places facing the harbor were all closed for winter however).

All luxury yachts were gone.

Drove to Santa Eularia from there, where my hotel was. Again, just like in the summer, the traffic on that road was very tight and finding a parking spot turned out to be tricky. Ate at a Chinese place, the food was better than when I tried them last summer. The beach is deserted, all cafes there closed down as well.

Today it was sunny around noon. Drove to Cala de Boix, the water looks so much more crystal clear than in the summer, but this is most likely because I seldomly get out in the summer before noon, so the sunshine would no longer come through the waves :)

Continued to Cala Sant Vicente - here, evetything closed down. Apparently there was some small mudslide on the hill to the North of the beach (where all the expensive villas are) - there was some ground moving equipment there digging around. Drove to the top of the hill, enjoyed the phantastic panorama.

Went to Portinatx (again, almost no cars on the road and Portinatx itself pretty dead - I think there was not a single shop open). Then off to Benirras and to SanAn. The countryside is beautiful with lots of green everywhere and white cherry(?) blossom. Forested areas look exactly like in the summer. Surprisingly, some cafes in the small towns on the way were open and well patronized by locals.

SanAn seems to be expecting some carnival procession, the police were busy evacuating cars from the street by the harbor. Please forgive my lack of excitement about the carnival season - I hate it. Hope I will be able to drive out of SanAn.

In general, the optical difference to the summer is much less than I expected, but then, I always find time to enjoy the landscape even in the summer :lol: It is very relaxing with no parties to hurry to. Love it, but it will sure get boring quickly. So tomorrow I am flying to Mallorca in the evening and then home to Germany.

If the weather stays good tomorrow, will probably try climbing Sa Talaia and maybe hiking to one of the watch towers (can they all be climbed?) I have only been on the one overlooking Atlantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the weather in winter always that bad? - NO

Jockey's club didn't look as abandoned as the other places - they had provisionary walls and door installed. Does that place open in winter as well? - NO

maybe hiking to one of the watch towers (can they all be climed?) - NO

NOOOOOOO ! !

( in case you fancy heading to the north again ;))

Thanks for the suggestion, hope the weather turns out OK.

I wanted to get a quick meal at Pizza Hut, but the one in San Antonio was closed (along with almost everything else in SanAn). After eating at Burger King I noticed that the carnival procession has already started. Fortunately, I parked my car at one of the side streets, so I could get out whenever I liked.

I watched the procession for half an hour. Lots and lots of people participating, where did they all come from??? The music is better than what we get in Germany on similar events, but still so-so. I expected half of the people to turn up in Avatar-themed costumes, but only two people had that look. Then I visited the sunset strip. Cafe del Mar, Mambo etc. were all closed.

The last sightseeing of the day was in Cala Tarida. I wanted to watch the sunset (nice colored clouds only in case of today). I also wanted to test this excellent webcam of Cala Tarida. It turned out it indeed shows a live picture, and the delay is only like 3 seconds. I couldn't see myself on the webcam, but the light from my laptop screen was clearly visible. And I was probably the only idiot to climb the rock formation in the middle of the beach with a laptop in my hand :lol: The unlimited mobile Internet from Vodafone rules!

After that, I drove to Ibiza Town and checked in at the Pacha Hotel. This was another thing I always wanted to do, but found it too expensive in the summer. I got a "junior suite", which in reality was a large room separated into two parts with a curtain. In other parts of the world, I have seen larger regular rooms in hotels. There is a very cool bathroom with a huge window into the living room. All lights are electronically controlled and slowly fade in and out. The view from the balcony is everything but spectacular - you just get to see the building being constructed across the street. The room design is very minimalistic with everything white. I have to say it made a slightly "cheap" impression compared to all the hype - I have fully expected a separate TV in the bathroom. And the painted concrete floor must be too cool for me to understand :)

I got a coupon for a complimentary glass of cava in the lounge. Now I am really curious whether Ibiza's coolest hotel has fresh pressed OJ for breakfast ;)

Went into town to get some food. It was slightly past 10pm, and most of the places in the world's nightlife capital already stopped serving food. Got a nice snack at "La Cava". Will go up to the cathedral to have a look from above before retreating to the hotel.

it sounds like you're not enjoying yourself.... :confused:

check out my photos ( and soon to be uploaded videos ) on the "looking forward to" thread for my winter experience from 2 weeks ago which couldn't have gone any better!!!

i enjoyed every last second of my 5 day trip... 8):D:D8)

I am enjoying myself, no worries here 8)

Some things are just different than I expected, and being a curious person I of course noticed it and wrote down.

BTW, where did you get your bicycle? Might want to rent one on my next Ibiza winter trip.

I am enjoying myself, no worries here 8)

Some things are just different than I expected, and being a curious person I of course noticed it and wrote down.

BTW, where did you get your bicycle? Might want to rent one on my next Ibiza winter trip.

i got it from ibizaMTB.com.... sent them an email and they reserved it for me for 3 days with all the tools, helmet etc and dropped it off at tarba hostel ( where i was staying )... they are based in santa eulalia... 100euro for 3 days.. speak to oliver.. 8):)

OMG, a rental bicycle costing more than a rental car :eek:

Today started with a great breakfast at the Pacha hotel (with fresh OJ and eggs cooked to order). I liked the hotel a lot despite it not quite meeting my very overblown expectations, but am still not sure if I want to shell out the full price in the summer. For any future winter trips to Ibiza though, it is going to be my favorite, although I also want to try Royal Plaza and of course the new jail in Talamanca :lol:

I drove to Port de San Miguel and hiked to the pirate watch tower overlooking it. Thanks to McRackin for the tip! Great weather and fabulous views on the way. Enjoyed a great view from the tower base onto the sea and the Benirras beach in the distance. Sadly, the tower entrance was closed and locked, so no view from the platform.

Next I went to sa Talaia. I have to admit I "climbed" the mountain with my car over a non-paved road and only walked a short distance from the first summit (forested area with an antenna tower) to the second one. The view from above is amazing.

Being a sucker for good steaks and having read the excellent report from ric, the next stop was the Es Boldado restaurant overlooking Es Vedra, Cala d'Hort and the waves crashing into the rocky shore immediately below the restaurant. Of course I ordered the steak :lol:, and it was excellent (and huge).

With just an hour remaining until I had to return the car and board my flight, I went to the far end of PdB and hiked to the pirate watch tower located there. Great views over PdB and to the south from there, but again, the tower entrance was closed and locked :twisted: So till now, I have been to 4 pirate watch towers (the ones visited today, plus the one facing Formentera and the one overlooking Es Vedra). I could enter only the last one. So I wonder how many other towers exist (I know there is one more in the Northeast), and more important, can they be entered???

I read somewhere about ruins of an abandoned dolphinarium located next to the watch tower in PdB, but couldn't find them. Will remain to be discovered on one of my future Ibiza trips.

I greatly enjoyed the trip, this is certainly not my last time on the party island in winter :lol: Will post some pics in a couple of days.

OMG, a rental bicycle costing more than a rental car :eek:
friends just paid 40 euros for a rental car - for 4 (!!!) days
(ok, it was "only" mallorca)

... I read somewhere about ruins of an abandoned dolphinarium
located next to the watch tower in PdB, but couldn't find them.
Will remain to be discovered on one of my future Ibiza trips ...
on the road to salinas, when passing dc10 (right side)
it´s on the left side after a few hundred meters.
check that thread:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=5042

tclubber, the tower overlooking pdb is called 'Torre des Carregador' (btw,lovely peaceful little cove down the other side,Sa Sol Rossa,for anyone wanting some quiet time ) anyway,this tower has been completely renovated inside and out, there is a display inside with the history of the towers,pictures and maps etc.
I had been past a few times, then one time noticed the door open so had a closer look,glad I did.
Only open in summer: Thursday-10 till 2pm.
I think it's open on another day as well,but can't remember which ?

of course this may be of no interest to you and you would prefer to crawl around a 'near' original ruin and risk breaking both neck & ass....

friends just paid 40 euros for a rental car - for 4 (!!!) days
(ok, it was "only" mallorca)
At an airport location??

I am on Mallorca now, and the best I could find for 2 days were 50EUR from AurigaCrown. However, I booked *very* late - after having arrived in PMI! The agent first told me she had no cars, but after I pulled out my laptop and made a reservation online (all this at the counter), a car magically became available. Other companies with offices at the airport were all more expensive - even when booking in advance.

On Ibiza, the car cost me 42EUR for 2 days, again with AurigaCrown. I had reserved the "Peugeot 207" category in both cases, and got a Golf-sized Kia Ceed and a Ford Focus, so no complaints about the deal :lol:

Don Simon said:
of course this may be of no interest to you and you would prefer to crawl around a 'near' original ruin and risk breaking both neck & ass
Thanks for the info on the opening times, the locked door only had a listing of sponsors of the "project" with no info on visiting the tower. Will try to visit it in the summer then.

Don't know how ruined the other towers are, but the one overlooking Es Vedra was in quite okay condition and accessible round the clock. I am all for restoring the towers, but why lock them up after that?

sanan seems to be expecting some carnival procession, the police were busy evacuating cars from the street by the harbor. Please forgive my lack of excitement about the carnival season - i hate it. Hope i will be able to drive out of sanan.
i watched the procession for half an hour. Lots and lots of people participating, where did they all come from??? The music is better than what we get in germany on similar events, but still so-so. I expected half of the people to turn up in avatar-themed costumes, but only two people had that look.
2afc19y.jpg

ddhy6d.jpg

4htlpc.jpg

uh​

Missed the ones on the second photo, nice :)

P.S. I haven't forgotten about pics, will probably post them on Tuesday when I have more time and bandwidth. Here is just one (guess where it was taken!)

I've only lived on Ibiza for about 3 1/2 weeks but i am loving the winter season so far, a lot more lively than i expected it to be, loving Pacha for the weekends and Grial for my Wednesdays, back at work now though but can't wait to get back in 3 weeks :D definitely made the right move leaving Scotland

Missed the ones on the second photo, nice :)

P.S. I haven't forgotten about pics, will probably post them on Tuesday when I have more time and bandwidth. Here is just one (guess where it was taken!)

haha! how funny ... this is above cala st. vicente and the car on the left (the white peugeot 205) is one of our cars hehe ;-) just bought 8 weeks ago ...

Here are the promised photos (they are all clickable).

Just landed in Ibiza. Let's hope the first impression is wrong:

No other planes at the airport, except for a few bizjets in the distance. I think the Cessna Citation on the left belongs to stephen: :p

The good news is, there is no snow.

Driving to the Salinas beach:

A huge mountain of salt getting wet in the rain:

Salinas beach. No sunbathers today!

Guarana:

Jockey Club:

The main street in PdB. Surprisingly, a pharmacy is open.

A hotel entrance:

View from the near end of PdB towards Eivissa:

Paseo Vara de Rey:

Empty streets:

The harbor. Luxury yachts are gone.

Santa Eularia:

The next day.

Cala de Boix. I hoped the barely visible large island on the horizon on the first photo would be Mallorca, but it must be Formentera:

The road ahead:

Say no to drugs!!!

Cala San Vicente:

Looks like a landslide happened here. Hope no cars got buried!

View from the top of the hill overlooking Cala San Vicente:

A swimming pool with a view:

Oops!

Cala Portinatx:

Near Portinatx:

Going west:

Cala Xarraca:

Countryside:

Cala Benirras:

Road to San Antonio:

Cars being evacuated in SanAn before the carnival procession:

Passeig de ses Fonts

San Antonio harbor:

Beach showers still working:

Glass bottom boats:

Carnival procession in SanAn:

Views from the waterfront in SanAn:

Sunset strip:

Mambo:

Driving to Cala Tarida:

Cala Tarida:

Watching the sunset - live and via the webcam:

Playa d'en Bossa from Dalt Vila. All hotels are dark:

View towards the harbor:

At the Pacha hotel:

Eivissa:

Finally found some food!

Morning (view from the Pacha hotel):

The new jail not accepting any inmates this time of the year!

Driving north:

Puerto de San Miguel:

Walking to Torre des Molar:

Got there, only to find the door locked.

View from the tower base:

Cala Benirras in the distance:

Walking back:

Somewhere in the countryside:

Passing SanAn again:

Sa Talaia in sight:

Going up sa Talaia:

Views from the top:

Es Vedra caught a cloud:

A steak with a view at Es Boldado!

Cala d'Hort:

My plane leaves in 2 hours :(