My unwelcomed experience from an asian-american

I'm a 26st guy, I've always been big and it helps for my american football. I expect much of the usual but I'm damn certain it won't spoil my holiday. However I understand what you are saying, you were with your partner and she found it very un-comftable. I have yet to experience Ibiza and will be going in 6 weeks with my fiancee.

kosmos said:
I toured Spain a bit, did find it mono-cultural. I don't speak any Spanish but under the impression that they still have to come to terms with the whole Moors thing. I saw an exhibition in Barcelona of racist caricatures of Moors from not so long ago. Why, it reminded me of home.

Just been reading about the Moors 700 year occupation of Spain, fascinating stuff..

Gingivitis, I'm sorry for your bad experience in Ibiza, but it's a pity you think we're all the same just for a few d1ckheads.

Unfortunately Ibiza is getting in fashion too for Spanish bumpkins who pretend to be modern (or hillbillies if you call them like that) who aren't used to see other races and their ignorance makes them to be stupid.

I'd recommend you to re-visit Ibiza in September some year, when there's the main concentration of real clubbers, friendly clubbers.

I doubt you could have such an awful experience in big cities of Spain, where there's a lot of immigration (Asian, African, Southamerican...).

Kosmos: I think you're wrong. The moors thing is something forgotten that passed lots of centuries ago. The only things that remain of it are many buildings left and celebrations like 'Moors and Christians'. Moreover, Spain is a very multi-cultural country, as opposed to what you said. Ask Stephen, an Englishman who has visited more places in Spain than me. ;)

To the person refering to my suppose hyprocrisy. I agree that I can not judge a group of people for the actions of a few. To not have a high opinion does not mean to hate someone for no reason but their race. It means fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I actually came thinking that racism was something only in United States. We never travelled outside the states. I think now we are more prepared as to what to expect when traveling. It's like going to a movie all your friends say the best damn movie ever made. Your expectations are high Then when the movie doesn't meet your expectation, it's not enjoyable. Maybe it's a bad analogy, but I posted to let people know that Yes even in Ibiza, racism can exist so as to better prepare those that come.

I had search the forum for racism before I went to ibiza, the forum paints a very friendly party atmosphere. There was no mention of any racism, and thus was my expectation.

Anyways, thank you all for replying. I was looking for other people's experiences and for any reason to why we experience racism. We're just trying to rationalize everything.

To TigerVic, I don't think all Spanish are bad, as I noted that there were many that were friendly. I will just think twice now if I travel to Spain and I see strange looks and glances. Those that have experience racism know what kind of looks I am talking about.

gingivitis-im filipino american-and i ecountered some hostile peeps also-however most of their comments were made b/c i was american and not asian/flip-but i understand where your coming from-i too stayed in playa den bossa and even GARBI/APARTHOTEL(which totally sucked but had a great view though)-i understand cuz the spanish, italian, and mostly everyone else except katz from switzerland and uk looked at us funny sometimes, not all the time-but racism's everywhere man im more of a interracial dater and you know if you're in some parts of the states you get stares and comments- but, wutever, don't let those few retards get the best of you-ibiza's a beautiful place....

p.s. yo f*** those few racist spanish dudes-spanish women are where it's at-i got with one when i was there-and all I got say about that is ...................damnnnnnn....haha
peace....

A very sad topic, hopefully you will visit other parts of Europe in the future and discover that your experience was an exception rather than the norm.

Jam Man said:
I am shocked :eek: :eek:

I have always considered Ibiza to be one of the most open minded places.

:( :(

ditto. I'm African-American and I've never been called Negro... or anything else for that matter, and I understand some Spanish.

My wife is Kazakh (for the uninitiated, Kazakhs are an Asian ethnic group from the former Soviet Union. She's originally from Russia, but we met in Kazakhstan). She's never had any problems either, nor have we together.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, gingivitis

I should add that we spent lots of time at Bora Bora (every afternoon, in fact) on this last trip without incident. We also went to Space and didn't have any problems (except for the bloke that tried to steal my drink from that park-your-drink table outside the bathroom).

In any case, you definitely shouldn't let bad seeds get you down. Let it roll off you and keep on keeping on.... the vast majority of people on that island (and in this forum) are there to party, listen to the music, love and be loved.

Morbyd said:
In any case, you definitely shouldn't let bad seeds get you down. Let it roll off you and keep on keeping on.... the vast majority of people on that island (and in this forum) are there to party, listen to the music, love and be loved.

8)

that is f***ing unbelievable. And on your holiday too!!! . I must admit I would feel the same as your girlfriend, I don't have time for that kind of attitude especially on vacation. Being from Toronto, I was struck how WHITE Ibiza is, so that behavior is not that surprising. What is really sad is that from this forum you get the impression that everything is wonderful. Not the forum's fault at all, but there it is. And then you go there, and expect that kind of vibe...and you get bullshit..the disappointment must have been extreme.

I am truly sorry about your experience. I can just hope that I will not have a similar one, or if I do, that I will be oblivious to it.

huxley4ever said:
that is f***ing unbelievable. And on your holiday too!!! . I must admit I would feel the same as your girlfriend, I don't have time for that kind of attitude especially on vacation. Being from Toronto, I was struck how WHITE Ibiza is, so that behavior is not that surprising. What is really sad is that from this forum you get the impression that everything is wonderful. Not the forum's fault at all, but there it is. And then you go there, and expect that kind of vibe...and you get bullshit..the disappointment must have been extreme.

I am truly sorry about your experience. I can just hope that I will not have a similar one, or if I do, that I will be oblivious to it.

That's a bit harsh!

Like most people have said, there is very little racism to be found in Ibiza.

That's a bit harsh!

Like most people have said, there is very little racism to be found in Ibiza.

Didn't mean to sound harsh, all I meant was that I am not surprised that racism exists in Ibiza, as it exists everywhere, all you need is one person with an attitude :cry: . I feel for the guy...this board is FULL of people that I would LOVE to meet in Ibiza (or anywhere else frankly), so based on who is on the board, his expectations must have been really high. Being shot down must have hurt. It is too bad he ran into them...

That is terrible. Just got back from there and I got treated terrific by everyone (I'm chinese btw)... shame some odd cunts spoiled ur time.

I've been to Ibiza a few times. Am an asian girl and my boyfriend is white. Never ever had any problems. Always found the people very friendly and never at all rude. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience out there. I hope it hasn't put you off.

huxley4ever said:

Having been to Toronto.. I was shocked (but delighted) how multi-cultural it is. Europe doesn't have the ethnic mix up that is found in cities over in North America. That doesn't make it bad, just different.

Racism is sadly everywhere to an extent and I've not seen it in Ibiza, and its saddening that people get treated to like this. But please don't judge a whole island and its people on a few idiots.

Having been to Toronto.. I was shocked (but delighted) how multi-cultural it is. Europe doesn't have the ethnic mix up that is found in cities over in North America. That doesn't make it bad, just different.

Racism is sadly everywhere to an extent and I've not seen it in Ibiza, and its saddening that people get treated to like this. But please don't judge a whole island and its people on a few idiots.

don't get me wrong, I will let NO ONE ruin my trip. I was infected by the Ibiza virus 2 years ago. And nothing will make me feel better but going there again, and again, and again......:)

Drew said:
N8 said:
Thats sad :(

But i learnt a new word from you "vacationers" :) which is nice :)

I learned a new word too 'untermensch'

:?:

English was never my best subject :rolleyes:

* but i'm a whizz a maths *

It's German! It's what the Nazis viewed the Jews as, ie sub-human.

Back to the original post; horrible to hear of such experiences. I really hope this hasn't put you off Ibiza. Sadly, idiots get everywhere. :evil:

x-amount said:
gingivitis said:
That night we came to We love Space. It was good music but the people were generally not friendly

You're not wrong. But thats Space.

I'd disagree, it's more of a Sundays at Space thing. Other days and nights are fine, but it just seems that this event attracts a lot of posers and people who seem to believe that if you don't conform to their idea of beauty and cool then you are a piece of dirt. Pacha is the same (in my experience) hence why I'm not the biggest fan of the place.

Racism in Ibiza

I am a big fan of this site but have never posted before. This subject and the posting of gingivitis have prompted me to share my thoughts...
I cannot believe how naive gingivitis and his gf are! Racism is everywhere and I would even venture to say that racism in Ibiza or in the USA is certainly less than most other places in the world. Try a number of Far Eastern countries! Try Russia! Try Israel! A "caucasian" in Japan, India or China also gets funny looks from people on the streets and at times encounters disagreeable individuals there.
I just believe it is a case of gingivitis and gf being hyper sensitive! The worst one can do when faced with racism is to runaway! You should have stayed, enjoyed yourself and forget the few who are not worth remembering because I am certain the majority in Ibiza (both vacationers and locals) would be behind you 100%. You completely missed the Ibiza experience and the very positive vibe it brings together from all cultures! Yes Ibiza is predominantly "white" because it is in Europe! That is just a fact just as Mumbai is predominantly Indian or Dakar black!
Now, a bit about myself: American living in Europe, just spent two incredible weeks on the White Isle (31 July - 16 August), been my seventh year straight, hit all the major clubs but really like La Diosa for Zenith Sundays best (after the Terrace closes at Space) as well as Release Yourself. Partied at Hed Kandi, Cream, F**k me I'm Famous, Release Yourself and even Manumission (10th Anniversary - a disappointment). Kudos for KM5, Underground and El Privado at El Ayoun. Sa Capella, KM5, La Diosa, Sa Punta and Es Torrent the best meals. Best nights: Cream w/Oakenfold on Aug 12, Pacha F**k Me on Aug 13 and We Love Sunday on Aug 15!
And finally best sunset: from the pool of my villa above Cala Salada!
Oh and BTW I am 41 y.o.
Never too old for Ibiza...

gingivitis said:
Yeah if we didn't understand spanish we would've stayed the full two weeks. Maybe it's from the Madrid bombing or something, I don't know. We had high expectations. We were expecting a rave atmosphere where people are cool and friendly

As spanish I'm shocked reading this. I never thougt Spain would be a racist country, at least, not in a higher lever than other european countries. I hope you were unlucky finding the wrong people.

About the Madrid bombing I didn't notice a higher level of racism, anyway the terrorist were mainly from north-Africa so I don't think it's the point.

Well said Tycoon, although racism is a multi headed animal, normally the product of ignorance, arrogance, and stupidity, not too mention misguided fundamentalist or nationalistic beliefs (I say this with the bitter experience of having grown up in one of the most institutionally racist regimes ever)

Talking about multiculturalism, of my European travels I find Paris the most pleasant mix of cultures, people seem at ease with each other. I am sure its not the same in the rural areas, but compared to other cities where the immigrants are kept to one side, Paris is swinging with everyone looking good going about their daily business.

Getting back to the Spanish, not that I saying racism is widespread at all, but it is largely 'white' (well as white as Latinos get :) ) there are immigrant communities but very small and on the outside. I would love to get to know the Spanish better, I find the general attitude towards life very healthy. Maybe its all those long seistas!

Oh, if you really want to see a multi cultural viby city come visit me in Joburg!

Back