Music documentaries

If we're pushing the boat out in terms of genre, "Shut Up and Play the Hits" (released when LCD split for all of 5 years) and Sigur Ros' "Heima" (them playing gigs around various locations in Iceland) rank very highly indeed. Also that "Weird & Wonderful World of The Fall" (or whatever it's called) - Mark E Smith, f***ing hilarious.

This had such an effect on me we decided to spend a weekend in Oslo. Unfortunately, we went during Easter when sod all was happening. Still, it was a lovely place and will go back one day. But this documentary really hits the spot!

This had such an effect on me we decided to spend a weekend in Oslo. Unfortunately, we went during Easter when sod all was happening. Still, it was a lovely place and will go back one day. But this documentary really hits the spot!
Calling @Snowy

Such a brilliant doc. All the music I love and more. I remember posting about it last year. Sadly the Norwegians never made it big in Ibiza.

How did I miss this documentary? In my defence I spent the 1990s in the emerging modern city of Oslo, not in the provincial backwater Tromsø. Hardly anything that happens in places like Tromsø makes it way to other parts of Norway.

The bits of info in the trailer are all true: Skateboards were illegal, local/small private radio stations were banned, there was/is a claustrofobic and dull existence in many rural places, the music was shit (and still is shit just about anywhere in rural Norway where a "band" is playing). Shops closed at 5 PM on weekdays and 2 PM on Saturdays. Towns were dead with nothing going on between about 2.30 PM on Saturday and until Monday morning.

Wine and liquor was, and still is, only sold in government owned liquor stores that are shamelessly called "The Wine Monopoly". Norway was basically a cultural DDR in the early 1980s. Even the Swedes called Norway the last Soviet state.

Norway was ripe for a cultural revolution.

Norway got pulled into the modern cultural era starting with the JAPs in the mid 1980s, and then the rest of society sometime during the economic depression of the early 1990s. I'll write about the first techno party I went to during this period some other time.

The music scene in Oslo is great. But rural Norway is mainly still a backwater.

Oh, wow! So interesting and no wonder these guys had to make their own fun and create their own scene. But Norway always seems to come tops for happiest people in Britain and whilst we were there all we saw and met were friendly happy people. Then again, we were in Oslo. Eye watering food and drink prices, too. So coming to Ibiza won’t be such a shock.
Looking forward to your Techno story.

How did I miss this documentary? In my defence I spent the 1990s in the emerging modern city of Oslo, not in the provincial backwater Tromsø. Hardly anything that happens in places like Tromsø makes it way to other parts of Norway.

The bits of info in the trailer are all true: Skateboards were illegal, local/small private radio stations were banned, there was/is a claustrofobic and dull existence in many rural places, the music was shit (and still is shit just about anywhere in rural Norway where a "band" is playing). Shops closed at 5 PM on weekdays and 2 PM on Saturdays. Towns were dead with nothing going on between about 2.30 PM on Saturday and until Monday morning.

Wine and liquor was, and still is, only sold in government owned liquor stores that are shamelessly called "The Wine Monopoly". Norway was basically a cultural DDR in the early 1980s. Even the Swedes called Norway the last Soviet state.

Norway was ripe for a cultural revolution.

Norway got pulled into the modern cultural era starting with the JAPs in the mid 1980s, and then the rest of society sometime during the economic depression of the early 1990s. I'll write about the first techno party I went to during this period some other time.

The music scene in Oslo is great. But rural Norway is mainly still a backwater.

Intrigued. Never really heard any No techno though Prins Thomas seems to produce harder these days and Sottofett is more leftfield house. But i probably am lazily associating totally different scenes just through nationality

I've just finished watching this documentary. Link for those of you unable to navigate the 'nep: https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/northern-disco-lights

Turns out, only the first part is about the scene in Tromsø. The rest is about the scene in Bergen and Oslo. I was slightly disappointed that none of the clubs in Oslo or festivals that I frequented at the time were mentioned. :(

I'm not really into any of the Norwegian music mentioned in this documentary. This music is too understated, quiet, slightly melancholic and drawn out - just like the endless dark winter nights up north. There's no aggressive beat, no drive and no real energy.

I've just finished watching this documentary. Link for those of you unable to navigate the 'nep: https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/northern-disco-lights

Turns out, only the first part is about the scene in Tromsø. The rest is about the scene in Bergen and Oslo. I was slightly disappointed that none of the clubs in Oslo or festivals that I frequented at the time were mentioned. :(

I'm not really into any of the Norwegian music mentioned in this documentary. This music is too understated, quiet, slightly melancholic and drawn out - just like the endless dark winter nights up north. There's no aggressive beat, no drive and no real energy.

haha the things you dislike are precisely what appeal to me although I think Terje on something like Strandbar is the very essence of energy but at a lower bpm. I suspect most of this forum would probably agree with you though!

Interesting though to get your thoughts though on different cities. The dance scene in Spain is pretty homogeneous across the country now albeit still divided between the club and festival circuits, although Ibiza itself is a bit of an outlier, given that it owes more to what is happening internationally than via the mainland grassroots.

Back