Moving to Ibiza . Help needed on education for kids

AbbyW

hi all, my self and my husband and 2 kids 8 & 10, are looking to move to Ibiza this year. Really worried about school and educating our children. Looked at Morna but read some bad reviews on it. What would everyone suggest, private, state or home tutor. Really struggling to work this one out.

Put them in the spanish schools they are great, first 6 months will be hard but , it's up to you , get the lessons started now so they have the basics .

As above, you will miss out on so much local life by sending your children to Morna. Our children, nine and six have never been happier in school. Day one wife and I were a bag of nerves, our little boy, then aged seven came skipping out of school without a care in the world. My little boy is now fluent in Castillano and nearly in Catalan, little girl not far behind, this simply will not happen at Morna.

Hello guys,
Any recent reviews of Morna International College? Only 2 private schools were mentioned by Marina Pimion on Expatica: Colegio Mestral and The Green School. Nothing about Morna though. Do private schools in Ibiza teach both: Spanish and Catalan?

Hello guys,
Any recent reviews of Morna International College? Only 2 private schools were mentioned by Marina Pimion on Expatica: Colegio Mestral and The Green School. Nothing about Morna though. Do private schools in Ibiza teach both: Spanish and Catalan?

Morna pupils generally can't speak Spanish. They do have a lesson of Spanish as you would do in an English school. Taught entirely in English. No idea on cost.

Mestral is a much sought after school and has both Spanish and English pupils, teaching is in Castilian (not Catalan as per the state schools). They are taught Catalan as a lesson. Cost is around €500 per month. Very up to date facilities.. Getting places at Mestral is the biggest hurdle to entry.

Maybe others can add more detail, in both cases above, my information is from friends who have children in each school.

Hello guys,
I would suggest the Spanish system , if you want the kid to speak Spanish and Catalan

Visit the schools.
think about your child’s future education,if your expectations areacademic or uni, then essay writing or exams in language of country where they go to Uni will be impt.
Think about where you will be most effective as parent and your language skills. If your French, or Spanish, or English is not fluent, you may miss out of subtleties in communicating with your child’s teachers and schools certainly if there is a problem
You should learn same languages as your child & support them in education - who can they get help from if you are not speaking same language.
school doesn’t do all the education, you are impt!
Ibiza is very expensive, make sure you fully consider price of education on top of your lifestyle
You must visit the schools to decide what is best for you.
Enjoy your adventure

A young girl has recently started in the same class as our youngest (11yo). The new classmate has been at Morna for two years and doesn't speak a word of Spanish, tragic.

The tragedy is that classmate’s parent to thinks he/she knows the reason for an 11 year olds language skills and academic abilities. What do you really know about this child’s experience and abilities?? Let’s please be supportive of our community and children
Additionally, a child’s lack of Spanish fluency on parents choice for child to attend a school which follows the British national curriculum.
Morna is not a Spanish school, they do not teach in Spanish immersion. They do teach Spanish, some children learn well, some don’t based on many factors, mostly child’s ability, family suppprt and motivation. Do family encourage TV, movies in Spanish at home? Conducting shopping and communicating in Ibiza in Spanish? Or is home life strictly in another language?
Mestral Students, you could complain, don’t learn English well enough to thrive if they switched to a school in Leister UK.
There are British & International Schools all over the world. The purpose is to follow the curriculum of the home country. Most will a teach local language, but an individual child’s outcomes, like with any subject, are based on the child’s abilities and family commitment.
The French School follows a curriculum which would allow the family to move back to France and join a local school without much disruption. Take exams in France etc.
Parents who want their children to be bilingual, while at an International/British School, need to supplement with family or child tuition and local integration.
School bashing and complaining in Ibiza is pointless when comparing apples and oranges. You get what you you enroll in & pay for. Parents - Do your homework - visit the schools and make your individual choice for your family.
My colleague, local Ibiza family, have their kids at Morna specifically because they want their child to learn in English immersion with the goal of their children having UK native English and going to Uni in USA or UK (hopefully on scholarship).
It’s a family choice looking to the future. Please don’t blame this one 11 year old!

Back