mopeds

K

ksixty9

have any of you hired out mopeds is it worht it to get around or not

by all means do it as it can be a quick and easy way to get around the island, but also some roads have got large pot-holes in them and the other motorists in the summer months can be a little careless.

The amount of people that i know that have had crashes on these things. Oh and if that don't kill you the bloody persistent noise will hehehehehe!!

You should ask premile about his moped story... those things are dangerous as hell... especially while trying to negotiate a turn-about in a drunken stupor :oops:

PachaGirl79 said:
You should ask premile about his moped story...

what happened? :eek:

moped.gif

trying to negotiate a turn-about in a drunken stupor

hi pachagirl (and premile?),

i expect all of us have done it at some time or another :oops: , but that doesn't make it right.

the way people drive here in summer is criminal. i am sometimes scared to go out on the road, especially when i have my little son in the car.

you (i don't mean you personally) might feel safe after a few drinks, but imagine if there are another 100 people on the same road who think the same as you - it only needs one miscalculation.

i have seen more accidents here than i would ever have believed possible:

*the road surfaces are in need of repair
*we are on an island, which means there is lots of salt in the air, which at night falls with the dew on to these badly surfaced roads
*the english drive on the left, the rest on the right, and the spanish drive as if they own the island (well they do sort of)
*throw in a few italians and mainland spanish - i'm sorry if i offend anyone here - but they are europe's worst drivers in my opinion ;-)
*and most people are off their nuts, either on beer or other

taxis are cheap, and buses are plenty. please, please all of you think about others on the road and NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE

ksixty9 - that shouldn't scare you off - mopeds are fine as long as you are sober and know what you are doing. just be sensible

p.s. sorry for the serious note all, but this really is a pet issue of mine

Does anyone know where one can book a moped over the internet? Or how I can reserve one in advance?

Thanks

My moped story ??

Well first things first >> I would NEVER drink & drive -- always trying to arive alive!! The moped story is:

We went into the moped rental place last August. The only moped available was a 125cc; after a two day search! We didn't realize how fast it started. My friend started and went through the glass door of the rental place. Luckily no one was hurt.

I would recommend renting a 50cc moped; it's gets you from point A to point B. I wouldn't recommend using it on the highway from San An to Ibiza town (safety). We used it to get from Ibiza town to Playa D'en Bossa (Space, Bora-Bora, Salinas, and Pacha)

Sorry if that sounded weird guys... Premile I never wanted to make it sound like u guys were drunk when that episode happened, I was referring to all those other dummies I've heard about who drive drunk and careless.

I have never ridden on one- and don't plan on it :rolleyes:

thanks for the pm pachagirl. i completely read your post wrong and jumped in with both guns ablazing :oops:

sorry

Drink driving

I indulge in a great deal of both BUT never at the same time which is why despite hiring a car for a fortnight my taxi bills are also substantial :rolleyes:
well it helps my favourite island economy

Mopeds are a blast. You have to be real careful but they are fun and it makes it easier to move from place to place in the day time. I will not ride a moped late at night.

A friend almost got hit by a car because his lost his balance.

a friend of mine was killed in Ibiza in August 2000 on a moped, it was awful he was only 20, they are too dangerous, a spanish guy drving a van ran through a red light and killed him :cry:

Them things scare the life out of me! The drivers would not think anything of running you over and leaving you for dead if you are in the way!

Shit, i didnt read the other replies before posting. Thats really terrible. It just shows how you have to dodge out of their way....

Folks, I ride a 600cc sports bike in London every day, rain or shine, and I would think twice about hiring a bike in Ibiza - especially anything over 50cc, as has been mentioned here. The sun, the holiday atmosphere and the different driving attitudes make it quite risky, especially for those with little experience on a bike.

As admin says, NEVER drink and ride and always take things that bit slower than you would at home and you should be OK - falling off is always painful, but doing it wearing shorts and little else is truly awful!!!

OMG - I sound like my Dad. :oops:

BBS said:
As admin says, NEVER drink and ride and always take things that bit slower than you would at home and you should be OK - falling off is always painful, but doing it wearing shorts and little else is truly awful!!!

OMG - I sound like my Dad. :oops:

Good advice. Think before you ride!

Back