money talks

N

Nukejunkie

:?:

so what shall it be? Do they prefer GBP or Euro on the island? ..I know it's a stupid questin, but do they accept USD too?(just because that's how it is in Cuba)

What about tips? What is the percentage for taxi and for the waiters?

Yeah, what aboput tipping??? How does tipping work over in Ibiza??

Euros work best in Ibiza.

Tipping; I generally like to tip 10-15% in restaurants in Ibiza. Also tips to the hostess/waitress of any VIP/bottled service party area that you're in. Other than that I tip according to how I feel.

I tip for good service only
I refuse to tip if i feel the service hasn't been good.
I don't believe in a standard percentage tipping thing as i decide what to give depending on how ive been treated.

dfunky said:
I don't believe in a standard percentage tipping thing as i decide what to give depending on how ive been treated.

My sentiments exactly.

I always tip over and above what is expected at say KM5 cos I find the service there excellent and the staff so helpful, whereas on many occasion I have walked away from eating at Mambos without leaving anything if they have been rude etc, which unfortunately is often the case there :rolleyes:

Barbie said:
dfunky said:

My sentiments exactly.

I always tip over and above what is expected at say KM5 cos I find the service there excellent and the staff so helpful, whereas on many occasion I have walked away from eating at Mambos without leaving anything if they have been rude etc, which unfortunately is often the case there :rolleyes:

The food in Mambo is disgusting.

Barbie said:
ED CASE said:
The food in Mambo is disgusting.

Disgusting, over-priced, rude staff, poor service............

Sums it up exactly mate.

I usually tip if the service has been good, and am very generous if the service was excellent. The staff remember you then when you go back and you'll get even better service and looked after very well, often sorted out in one way or another if the staff/bar has connections........

I tip when I feel like tipping, but I never tip if I think the service was bad and also don't think I should have to tip every single time for example I get a drink, for food and taxis fair enough. I remember paying 20 Euro for two Bacardi Breezers in Space and the bargirl who took about 10 minutes to be bothered to serve me expected a tip! Yeah right. I was stood at the top bar on the terrace at the end and she served two people who got to the bar after me as obviously she had to make 'decisions', probably the most difficult thing she'll do in her life. :lol:

Nukejunkie said:
:?:

so what shall it be? Do they prefer GBP or Euro on the island? ..I know it's a stupid questin, but do they accept USD too?(just because that's how it is in Cuba)

What about tips? What is the percentage for taxi and for the waiters?

I don't tip anybody there (or here) unless they do something that is above what they should do as part of there job.

Automaticaly tipping people makes them not arsed to try as hard.

You have to really be an ass to not get a tip from me. I tip everyone around 20%, especially if I plan on coming back to the same place. The karma adds up and I feel that most of the time I receive better than average service.

Barbie said:
dfunky said:

My sentiments exactly.

HERE'S YOUR TIP : DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW WHEN IN CANADA

i found that it all depends on how you ask as to whether a tip is expected or not. if i walk up with my california accent and say...

"can i get a vodka redbull please...."

they look at you and wait for some more euros to float their way!

if i walk up and am a little vague with my accent, and maybe say....

"una cerveza por favor..."

a tip is not expected....but, being american, the feeling of guilt that immediately overcomes me when walking away without having tipped is something i would rather just have away with....so, i tip.

but, that said, by playing the tipping game....going back to the same bartender time and time again, tipping well....my drinks are ALWAYS stronger, always served faster, and i find myself being invited to more afterhours (if there is such a thing on that island!) than those around me.

always tip if you want good service. how much is up to you.

Don Reid said:
but, that said, by playing the tipping game....going back to the same bartender time and time again, tipping well....my drinks are ALWAYS stronger, always served faster, and i find myself being invited to more afterhours (if there is such a thing on that island!) than those around me.

Indeed the modern interpretation of the word is as an acronym for the phrase "To Insure Promptness" or "To Improve Performance". Although there is some speculation over this defenition the custome certainly derived from a custom whereby an English gent would slip the a bartender the "tip" (upfront) as a bribe to be served with preference. If the bartender was worth his salt, the gent would then not have to wait in line again.

Quite funny that it's turned from "heres the cash, now give me better service" to "if you give me good service you might get some cash"

I utterly detest the service charge or even worse "For your convenience, we have included a voluntary tip to the total of the bill" Arrrrrraagggh!

i tip because it makes me feel good. the size of the tip depends on my state of mind... the less sober danahs is, the larger the tip will be :lol:

Q TOY,

you have obviously NEVER worked in the service industry.

most bar jobs pay BADLY here - they expect you to make at least 40% on top with your tips - not so you can earn well - but so that this brings you up to a normal wage.

a friend of mine just started in a really posh hotel - his basic salary is 700 euros a month - try living off that here with these housing prices. the hotel expects him to make at least another 500 with tips - they calculate that into their wage packets.

please also have a little patience with some of the bar staff and waiters in august - they often work 7 days a week, they are rushed off their feet in august and all places are understaffed in the high season. if the drink does take that little bit longer, don't worry you're on holiday. (and it could be you working here next year - would you want to deal with all those bad vibes and annoyed people?? ;-)

unless it is really crap you should always tip here.

james said:
Q TOY,

you have obviously NEVER worked in the service industry.

most bar jobs pay BADLY here - they expect you to make at least 40% on top with your tips - not so you can earn well - but so that this brings you up to a normal wage.

a friend of mine just started in a really posh hotel - his basic salary is 700 euros a month - try living off that here with these housing prices. the hotel expects him to make at least another 500 with tips - they calculate that into their wage packets.

please also have a little patience with some of the bar staff and waiters in august - they often work 7 days a week, they are rushed off their feet in august and all places are understaffed in the high season. if the drink does take that little bit longer, don't worry you're on holiday. (and it could be you working here next year - would you want to deal with all those bad vibes and annoyed people?? ;-)

unless it is really crap you should always tip here.

Rubbish, i have worked as a waiter for nearly a year and had to live off that, it wasn't fun but i made a special effort to be good to every customer and be as helpfull as i possibly could, i didn't always get tipped but i would never dreamed to expect a tip off any one.

Even if the food was really dodgy or slow to arrive, i tip well if my waitress/waiter was friendly.When i was waitressing the most annoying thing was when ppl blamed u or were nasty to u cos of slow service or bad quality food,remember everyone these things are not the person serving yous fault!! they are usually down to the chef or staff shortage. If u can afford it and u get really good service and attention u should always leave a deserving tip i reckon...it can really brighten up an often over worked underpaid person's day...especially in holiday resorts like Ibiza where the pay is known to be less than generous

I tip based on the service, not the food or the speed e.t.c
Its very rare that i don't tip as most waiter/ waiteresses usually do a good job and make me feel welcome.
Ive been some places and feel like i havn't been a welcome customer so i don't tip.
If your gonna do that type of job and your expecting tips then smile and be nice to people, thats really all you need to do its not rocket science.

[
I always tip over and above what is expected at say KM5 cos I find the service there excellent and the staff so helpful,

barbie where is km5?and what type of food do they serve?also i have noticed a lot of you talk about kumharas,where is this and is it a pub or somewgere to eat?thanks

Back