Men's suits

Mark Sun

Oh great doyens of style, I have a question regarding men's suits and I'd love to draw from the deep well of cool that is Spotlight.

Thankfully for my job I can wear pretty much what I like, which is ace. Now and again though it would be useful to have a suit to wear to some client meetings. I don't want to buy a traditional banker/lawyer style suit, something a bit more youthful. I'm also not quite ready to fork out a grand+ for a Prada/D&G suit yet.

I really like the suits that All Saints does but they are don't have my size - looking for a black, slim fit, single button suit with a narrow lapel. I saw a nice suit from Junk De Luxe as well but they have danish sizes which won't fit a small chap like me.

So... any other brands in that area that you could suggest would be much appreciated :)

sounds daft mate, but NEXT are doing some wicked slim fit single button suits at the moment that wont break the bank..£150 tops!!!

The sales are your friend :D

You should be able to get a swish Ozwald Boateng or a Gieves and Hawkes off the peg for under £500 :)

sounds daft mate, but NEXT are doing some wicked slim fit single button suits at the moment that wont break the bank..£150 tops!!!

nothing daft about that.

no doubt some london fashionista smart arse will contradict me here ;)

however a suit is a suit. if your not going to be wearing it that often then the long lasting factor is not in play so much.

i say go for next!

personally i have a ted baker, jeff banks & next - none of which cost more than a couple of hundred (three cheers for the outlet village!)

fun shopping for suits tho.

Mr Sun.

Im picking up my Hugo Boss suit next weekend, £347 (inc 32 to take up sleeves and legs a touch).

Boss Black - Taylor/Fitted - 100% Virgin wool, feels lush, looks great.

tis on the Boss website.

alternatively you could get one tailored for that price. Raja Fashions does a "UK Tour" and can knock one up from £190 (any style you want, obviously better material will cost more).

8)

alternatively you could get one tailored for that price. Raja Fashions does a "UK Tour" and can knock one up from £190 (any style you want, obviously better material will cost more).

8)

i toyed with getting one knocked up when in goa, it was the 'and we send it on to manychesterengland for you mr gareth' that put me off. which given they were established prob reflected more on me.

I wouldn't spend any more than £150 on a slim fit suit, yeah they look good but they might not be in fashion this time next year.

A classic suit will never age!

The sales are your friend :D

You should be able to get a swish Ozwald Boateng or a Gieves and Hawkes off the peg for under £500 :)
From your description, sounds like Ozwald Boateng is your man.

A good quality suit by a fashionable designer like him will do you better in the long run than something cheap off the rack at a casual clothing store (a la Next, All Saints).

You'll spend a little more but it's worth it.

Paul Smith London do great suits without a ridiculous price tag.

They do one in particular called "The Westbourne" which is fantastically made and very versatile.

They usually go for about £600 but it the sales i've seen them for about half.

Great investment, last for years and they won't lose their shape or become tatty or shiny.

And they are definately better for the smaller / slimmer frame.

mark, if you are aren't wearing it that often, then i think you can get away with a high street/chain suit. at maybe an outlet village or somethin. they are fine and look good.

however, like morbyd says, if you are wearing it every day, it'll be falling apart after not very long (9 months to a year i'd say).

mark, if you are aren't wearing it that often, then i think you can get away with a high street/chain suit. at maybe an outlet village or somethin. they are fine and look good.

however, like morbyd says, if you are wearing it every day, it'll be falling apart after not very long (9 months to a year i'd say).

I agree, i don't wear a suit unless i've got meetings. But i know as long as i stay off the pies i'll be in my PS suit for years to come.

Buy cheap and buy twice. :lol:

From your description, sounds like Ozwald Boateng is your man.

A good quality suit by a fashionable designer like him will do you better in the long run than something cheap off the rack at a casual clothing store (a la Next, All Saints).

You'll spend a little more but it's worth it.

rubbish Johnny, he's just said it's for work, hence why pay more than £150 for something you are not enjoying yourself in, wedding, christening, big do then granted go a little upmarket and stretch the budget....remember mark style never goes out of fashion!!! and p.s I have 2 next suits for work, both v fashionable, both slim fit, one single button with pique lapel and one 2 button. slim lapel with double back vents, I wear one for aweek, get it claned ets, had em 6mths and both look likenew!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
rubbish Johnny, he's just said it's for work, hence why pay more than £150 for something you are not enjoying yourself in, wedding, christening, big do then granted go a little upmarket and stretch the budget....remember mark style never goes out of fashion!!! and p.s I have 2 next suits for work, both v fashionable, both slim fit, one single button with pique lapel and one 2 button. slim lapel with double back vents, I wear one for aweek, get it claned ets, had em 6mths and both look likenew!!!
Wrong again, my Mancunian friend. ;)

It is because it is for work that you should get something nice. If you're going to bother putting on a suit in a job where it's not required, then you're obviously trying to impress (in this case, clients I assume). Best to look the part.

And the fact is that designer suits usually tend to be better quality, meaning you'll get more wear and tear out of them to justify the larger initial outlay.

Not entirely practical for this requirement but I would recommend getting one done whilst in faraway places without doubt.

My first one was in HK during a stopover, guy stopped me in the street, offering free drinks....led to being measured for a suit despite going for the plane in < 8 hours. Went back for first fitting after a couple of hours! Arrived home neatly packaged approx 5 days later. Cost approx £30 (in 1998), best £30 I ever spent. Had a few done since, none as cheap but always lovely fitting and top value.

I don't wear one as often now, but always found M&S decent priced for nice enough off the peg suits.

I would agree with Morbs to an extent, a decent suit makes you look and feel good, the feel good/ confident being important for me.

Mr Sun.

Im picking up my Hugo Boss suit next weekend, £347 (inc 32 to take up sleeves and legs a touch).

Boss Black - Taylor/Fitted - 100% Virgin wool, feels lush, looks great.

tis on the Boss website.

8)

Is that the suit your getting for my nuptials? :eek: - dont upstage the groom with ya :lol: ;)

Back