M&T's Move to Ibiza

I think without that she couldn't even get the empadronamiento done...
For the empadronamiento a passport is enough but that would be only a temporary one and the registration would need to be changed to the NIE once the green NIE is issued by the police. Only then the benefit of the residents travel discount can start.

Have recently been through the whole padron / NIE process, with wife and our little boy, which we wanted to do pre-Brexit .

All we needed for the pardon were copies of passports and house papers (ie showing we lived in the municipality - Santa Eulària as it happens) .

The NIE is an all together different challenge.

Bear in mind the green NIE (residency) is a different document to the white NIE (tax), although the distinction is not often made clear.

For the green NIE, there’s a bunch of requirements (including proof of financial means, health cover and relationship status (if relevant ) , made more complex by the Spanish love of the official stamp , meaning foreign documents have to be (variously) translated (officially) , apostilled , and legalised . The whole thing took us about 2 - 3 months just to collate the necessary docs ((not helped by the fact we had to dredge up official papers from both the UK and Canada) , and then about a month or more to get an appointment at the Policia National (this was in in pre-Covid days when waiting lists were much shorter than now).

We didn’t need to use the travel discount until we had the green NIE, and it’s a great benefit to have
So, sorry to keep going on about it, the so called “green NIE“ is nothing else than the actual full blown residency right?

I’m assuming you have the green NIE obtained from the Police in order to qualify for the discount?

I have a white NIE. Which has been used for my residency/TIE whatever you want to call it a few weeks ago. All of our documents (proof of funds/health insurance/rental contract/mothers dogs maiden name) have been submitted by our gestoria and I have proof that that has happened. Now we wait...

So, sorry to keep going on about it, the so called “green NIE“ is nothing else than the actual full blown residency right?

I don't think so but I might be wrong. tiff sorry for thread hijacking btw

tried this.. didn't work. But this is what I got from the office on the day so absolutely no clue whether that will work for anything

View attachment 10190

won't work for travel reduction AFAIK. I think you're simply not in the system just yet. try via that page every now and then, I'm sure soon it'll work. seeing you did your padron on 12th aug and usually the public admin works on half gas in that month here in spain (august being the holiday month) I think they just have a little delay putting you in the system for residents

won't work for travel reduction AFAIK. I think you're simply not in the system just yet. try via that page every now and then, I'm sure soon it'll work. seeing you did your padron on 12th aug and usually the public admin works on half gas in that month here in spain (august being the holiday month) I think they just have a little delay putting you in the system for residents

Makes sense! Thanks for your help Stivi! x

My personal move is on hold (again) after unfortunately it wasn’t me who won the euromillions :(

tried this.. didn't work. But this is what I got from the office on the day so absolutely no clue whether that will work for anything

View attachment 10190
It still has your maiden name on it??? The Spanish bureaucracy seems even slower than I thought...

Nice vlog yesterday, truly captures the hangover mood. I suppose a post-Pikes hangover is the best hangover to be had on the island :)

It still has your maiden name on it??? The Spanish bureaucracy seems even slower than I thought...

Nice vlog yesterday, truly captures the hangover mood. I suppose a post-Pikes hangover is the best hangover to be had on the island :)

I haven’t changed my passport over so everything is in my maiden name. Too much hassle lol.

in spain you keep the family names you are born with forever. changing names when you marry is quite literally a foreign concept.

Back