Looky Looky Men

Im facinated by the looky looky men. Where do they live/do off season? Who actually runs these guys is what Id like to know? Perhaps local big man who is un touchable? Its not like they organise themselves as migrants (illegal?), keep the profits and source the stock. Ive always thought it would be a great subject for a documentary.
Yeah me too, maybe 'a day in the life of' kind of thing. Can't stop wondering about what will have happened to the poor bastard I saw being arrested.

Im facinated by the looky looky men. Where do they live/do off season? Who actually runs these guys is what Id like to know? Perhaps local big man who is un touchable? Its not like they organise themselves as migrants (illegal?), keep the profits and source the stock. Ive always thought it would be a great subject for a documentary.

The senegalese are part of a brotherhood called Mourides.
They (normally) don't sell drugs, it's against their belief. The money is collected by the brotherhood, some high representatives travel around the world, not just ibiza.

Interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/02/world/industrious-senegal-muslims-run-a-vatican.html

A lot of the these guys do sell drugs and just use the sunglasses as a front. They're kinda annoying but okay. Do not trust them with pills, but weed is fine.

The eastern euros are the real scumbags who are out to pickpocket you in San Antonio.

Cala Bassa beach the other week was relentless, every 2 mins we were approached. It spoilt the atmosphere of otherwise a very beautiful beach

it isn't unique to IBZ - the 'manteros' as they're known in Spain are a ubiquitous feature on the mainland too. the counterfeit products arrive on container ships from China and I'm guessing there is some wholesaler involved at the docks. they tend to have a lookout guy and then scarper when the boys in green turn up. it's easy pickings for the police but the real Mr Bigs exploiting them are nowhere to be seen. I think it is a human tragedy because the guys are obviously not dishonest and just want to make an income but the black market can be a cruel place.

Never seen these guys working the beaches on Formentera - presumably the ferry is too expensive for them, or there aren't the earnings? Have noticed recently people working the ibiza beaches selling fruit and ice-cold drinks. If they're legit that's vey welcome; sat on remote Formentera beaches with a bottle of water at 80c I've often wondered why a wee boat doesn't pop round all the beaches especially Levante selling cold stuff. The beach bars are well spread and you can be a good half-mile from the nearest. Rules/regulations, or has no-one thought of it??

I did not have much of a problem with them until this year when I realised that two sets of them sell drugs outside the two children's play areas outside Ocean Beach and Lineker's.

There are an absolute nuisance and like the street ticket sellers and PR's are easy to eliminate. Who wants to walk down through San An bay when you have to run the gauntlet ?

I have in the past chatted to them when trying to sell me stuff, even bought one a drink (he didnt drink alcohol!), just asked him where he was from etc, was a pleasant chat, bought a Cocoon CD off him just to be friendly as 2 euros was no skin off my nose, bit annoying when I got back to UK and found it was EDM, had to laugh though!

Sasha once said in an interview that a looky looky came up to him on a beach and tried to sell him a bootleg copy of his Involver album!!

I think it's safe to say the reason they don't arrest them is because technically, they're doing nothing wrong. It isn't illegal to try and sell a few sunglasses is it?

Actually it is illegal.
Counterfeit products made up 5 to 7% of world trade in 2013 and in 2014 cost an estimated 2.5 million jobs worldwide.
France has already created stiff sentences for sellers or buyers of counterfeit goods, with punishments up to 3 years in prison and a €300,000 fine.

they're not eu citizens. they're not registered as residents, they don't have work permits, they don't pay tax or national insurance, they sell counterfeit goods and drugs and they're a frigging nuisance. no harm done then.

I've no problem with the majority of looky lookies, they're harmless in my eyes. They're generally not violent, they don't rob, there are much bigger, more harmful targets for the police. They're people trying to get by, I've no interest in seeing them punished etc. The women in San An are problematic however and do contribute to violent crime (muggings).

I've no problem with the majority of looky lookies, they're harmless in my eyes. They're generally not violent, they don't rob, there are much bigger, more harmful targets for the police. They're people trying to get by, I've no interest in seeing them punished etc. The women in San An are problematic however and do contribute to violent crime (muggings).

the same applies same for dodgy PRs and street ticket sellers. which have also been sorted (mostly) in San An and the Port.

all these types do rob you, they rob you of your opportunity to have a peaceful walk without hassle or relaxing time on the beach.

the only time to have a peaceful walk or time on beach is between 7 and 10am as most of them are asleep. a rediculous situation for a beach resort.

Im picking up 700 pairs of socks for my next visit.... I'll be on bora bora 11am most mornings.. come say hi :)

Never seen these guys working the beaches on Formentera - presumably the ferry is too expensive for them, or there aren't the earnings? Have noticed recently people working the ibiza beaches selling fruit and ice-cold drinks. If they're legit that's vey welcome; sat on remote Formentera beaches with a bottle of water at 80c I've often wondered why a wee boat doesn't pop round all the beaches especially Levante selling cold stuff. The beach bars are well spread and you can be a good half-mile from the nearest. Rules/regulations, or has no-one thought of it??

I was leaving the beach as a lady selling cold drinks told someone she didn't have cola but she would be back... I was walking the same way as the drinks lady and watched her make her way along the beach then off scene into a local shop and back out with requested coke. Likely with a mark up of 3euro.

Back