Looky Looky Men

carl288

On our last day one of them was arrested by undercover police in San Antonio outside Wips. He was just stood on the corner with about 3 others who all ran off.

Obviously they’re everywhere so why aren’t the police out arresting them all, am I missing something? I always presumed police just turned a blind eye but then this happened so I’m a bit confused. (I’m not suggesting they all should be arrested btw I’ve got no problem with them)

He will be ok then. He will have sold out after your visit so will have nothing on him

Dont any any problem with the looky looky men, its those big black mumas on the prom by Ibiza Rocks Bar that need locking up, they are scary! If they get hold of your arm to put a bracelet on and you try to get away you get a chinese burn!
Yeah they’re frightening. We’ve just come back it was my girlfriends first time and I totally forgot about these, she went to shake one of their hands I had to basically rugby tackle her on to the beach to get her away from them.

Yet the police never seem to do much about this o_O and it's been going on as far as i can remember

Yeah I was quite surprised they were still there this week, hassling all sorts of people in broad daylight!! Still confused as to how they are allowed to get away with it when the looky looky men just leave you alone as long as you tell them "no thanks" o_O

I think it's safe to say the reason they don't arrest them is because technically, they're doing nothing wrong. It isn't illegal to try and sell a few sunglasses is it? Unless the police have hard evidence they're doing something really illegal, like selling drugs, then it isn't worth their time. Not 100% sure on how the system works in Spain, but if it's similar to the UK, the police could arrest someone on strong suspicion (i.e - they know damn well the person is breaking the law) but without strong evidence the CPS (or Spanish equivalent in this case) will just throw it out, wasting a lot of police time, effort, and paperwork.

Must admit, they don't bother me. I'll often buy a pair of sunglasses from them on the first day as their Raybans are aesthetically no different to the real thing, but cost 20E not 150E.

I think it's safe to say the reason they don't arrest them is because technically, they're doing nothing wrong. It isn't illegal to try and sell a few sunglasses is it? Unless the police have hard evidence they're doing something really illegal, like selling drugs, then it isn't worth their time. Not 100% sure on how the system works in Spain, but if it's similar to the UK, the police could arrest someone on strong suspicion (i.e - they know damn well the person is breaking the law) but without strong evidence the CPS (or Spanish equivalent in this case) will just throw it out, wasting a lot of police time, effort, and paperwork.

Must admit, they don't bother me. I'll often buy a pair of sunglasses from them on the first day as their Raybans are aesthetically no different to the real thing, but cost 20E not 150E.
I think its because they don't pay tax of the goods they have, its black market stuff. I got told this by a lady who works on the west end thats why they have to be abit slippy when the police come and have a look.

I disagree about the comparison though, they are quite poor for sun protection I still had to squint whilst wearing them. (Bought one many years ago coz I felt sorry for the chap)

I think its because they don't pay tax of the goods they have, its black market stuff. I got told this by a lady who works on the west end thats why they have to be abit slippy when the police come and have a look.

I disagree about the comparison though, they are quite poor for sun protection I still had to squint whilst wearing them. (Bought one many years ago coz I felt sorry for the chap)
Or worse still, the lenses are dark enough for your pupil to expand, but offer no uv protection so can lead to damage in the eye.:eek:

Well as we know from the Amnesia raids, not paying your taxes in Spain = death from above. However I think the sheer scale and cost of a tax investigation isn't worth it for a few dodgy sunglasses and hats.

Or worse still, the lenses are dark enough for your pupil to expand, but offer no uv protection so can lead to damage in the eye.:eek:

Well there is that. I'm actually a photographer and managed to work out their sunglasses don't work. Sunglasses, proper ones, filter out UV light using linear polarization, which means a camera's light meter won't work through them. I tried it with my mate's and just got an error reading. Tried it with my Looky Looky pair and it had no problem.

But still, I'm not blind yet!

1 Tried to sell me drugs that were inside his mouth before and had pills that took about 5 minutes to unravel due to how many times they were wrapped and another broke off the inside of a branch from tree to get his supplies, so the one's that do sell illegal produce keep it well hidden.

Well as we know from the Amnesia raids, not paying your taxes in Spain = death from above. However I think the sheer scale and cost of a tax investigation isn't worth it for a few dodgy sunglasses and hats.
Very true but still if it was me I still wouldn't want the chance to find out what would happen if I got caught

Im facinated by the looky looky men. Where do they live/do off season? Who actually runs these guys is what Id like to know? Perhaps local big man who is un touchable? Its not like they organise themselves as migrants (illegal?), keep the profits and source the stock. Ive always thought it would be a great subject for a documentary.

Spanish gangs supply all the goods they sell.. gangs and police go hand in hand in most countries..

Last edited:
Im facinated by the looky looky men. Where do they live/do off season? Who actually runs these guys is what Id like to know? Perhaps local big man who is un touchable? Its not like they organise themselves as migrants (illegal?), keep the profits and source the stock. Ive always thought it would be a great subject for a documentary.
The one who I bought the sunglasses from had came from Senegal. He had a room with about 6 others opposite KFC down the west end. . . Hate to think what the conditions were like

Back