London Nightclubs

D

djcherni

Am posting to request help navigating the club scene in London. Am going there for the weekend July 18 - 20 and would like to check out some of the clubs on Friday and Saturday night. What do the locals recommend?

Should I stick to the "brand name" places like Fabric and the MofS? Also, help in selecting a cheap but tolerable hotel with decent location also welcome... Thx in advance!

-----

Some background on moi:
Am a Canadian living (marooned) in Dublin, Ireland. Immediately prior to this, was living in NY and Toronto.

Just got back from a hedonistic week in Ibiza featuring:
*Stay at Es Vive
Sat: Def Mix @ Pacha, EL Hotel Carryon
Sun: Sundays @ Space
Mon: Manumission, Space Carryon
Tues: Drinking until 8am in Eivissa Town, Es Vive
Wed: Subliminal @ Pacha, Space Carryon
Thurs: Cream @ Amnesia, Space Carryon until 4pm next day
Friday: Pure Pacha

Saturday nights are better in London than Friday nights, only really decent place on Fridays is The Gallery@Turnmills.

On Saturdays Ministry is always a good bet (but I think the wkend you're down is the 3rd Saturday of the month so it will be their trance venture :rolleyes: pity it's not the wkend after cos it's Soul Heaven), Pacha is pretty good (check their website to see who's on that wk but they have Hed Kandi, Dusted, Cherry Velvet etc there), The End is good, Turnmills on Saturdays is another pretty good night as is The Cross, lots of people like Fabric, I don't personally rate it but it's always rammed.

Re hotels, completely depends where you want to be based, best place to try is laterooms.com.

Definitely check out Fabric. You won't be as impressed as some after seeing the big Ibiza clubs, but still, it's a hell of a venue, London's best. Fridays are DnB/breaks - best night in the city for that - and Satuday is tech house - also quite good.

The Cross had some really good Saturday nights last time I checked.

Also, not a big club by any means, and in the middle of Brixton, which some would say is a slum, the Dogstar has the occasional really good lineup. It's a good place to start off the night.

...good luck with finding a good, cheap hotel.

Matthew

(ps. I'm a Canadian too! 8) )

motionpicture said:
Definitely check out Fabric. You won't be as impressed as some after seeing the big Ibiza clubs, but still, it's a hell of a venue, London's best. Fridays are DnB/breaks - best night in the city for that - and Satuday is tech house - also quite good.

Fabric as a club is lovely, but everytime I've been the music has been pants :rolleyes: :confused: Not been for a couple of years tho so maybe things have changed.

Wow - thanks

Thanks to everyone...

At the risk of sounding a bit like an internet nerd, is anyone checking out any of the recommended venues on July 18 or July 19?

Re: Wow - thanks

djcherni said:
Thanks to everyone...

At the risk of sounding a bit like an internet nerd, is anyone checking out any of the recommended venues on July 18 or July 19?

Dunno what I am doing that wkend yet, Ministry this one and the one at end of month but I need to check who's on where first.

BTW I think I met you at Es Vive, you are Canadian bloke living in Ireland, you were talking to me and Jannica by pool one evening, are you the same person??

That's me...

Yeah, I was staying at the Es Vive.

I think I remember now... We were chatting about Eric Morillo non? Though I was probably having trouble stringing sentences together given my general condition during my Ibizan adventures. How was the rest of your trip?

Re: That's me...

djcherni said:
Yeah, I was staying at the Es Vive.

I think I remember now... We were chatting about Eric Morillo non? Though I was probably having trouble stringing sentences together given my general condition during my Ibizan adventures. How was the rest of your trip?

S'ok I think I was a jibbering wreck as well so we both were probably making complete sense to the other :p Yay that was the conversation about Erick cos I was blowing him out for Soul Heaven :eek:

Holiday was fab, just getting over the usual post-Ibiza depression :rolleyes:

I always find you cant go wrong with The Cross, specially as it's summer now and you can chill on their lovely leather sofas outside.

I think that weekend is once again trance, but the 2nd room is probably better anyway and plays nice house (funky,tribal sounds). well worth checking out. :D

lynch said:
I always find you cant go wrong with The Cross, specially as it's summer now and you can chill on their lovely leather sofas outside.

I think that weekend is once again trance, but the 2nd room is probably better anyway and plays nice house (funky,tribal sounds). well worth checking out. :D

Couldn't have put it better myself, its easily my favourite London venue. Fridays are good which is a gay night called Fiction (although its very straight friendly) and Saturday is either Type or Serious - both are excellent.

They have also opened a new club called Canvas which is directly opposite The Cross and owned by the same chaps - not as good but may offer an alternative.....be careful though as you may end up at Smile (which is in the same big building) which is hard house...full of very mashed australians and south africans (not recomended!).

haha

...be careful though as you may end up at Smile (which is in the same big building) which is hard house...full of very mashed australians and south africans (not recomended!).[/quote]

Yes, we Canadians are pretty well behaved (many say boring) compared to our "rougher" commonwealth cousins.. haha

Booked.

Myself and and a friend (another Canadian) are confirmed to be in London July 18-20. Still working on the reasonably priced hotel thing... More importantly, we are leaning towards checking out The Gallery @ Turnmills on Friday and Fabric or The Cross on Saturday... How difficult are the doormen? I am assuming we should show up 1ish?

Thanks again to everyone - this msg board is the world's greatest travel guide.

Re: Booked.

djcherni said:
Myself and and a friend (another Canadian) are confirmed to be in London July 18-20. Still working on the reasonably priced hotel thing... More importantly, we are leaning towards checking out The Gallery @ Turnmills on Friday and Fabric or The Cross on Saturday... How difficult are the doormen? I am assuming we should show up 1ish?

Thanks again to everyone - this msg board is the world's greatest travel guide.

All those clubs open at 10, it depends who is playing on those nights, if it's a big name I would get there early cos a lot of London clubs like you to queue and by 1am the queue is likely to be 1/2 way round the block :rolleyes:

If I was you I'd try and get on paying guestlist, that way you know you will get entry. If you can't get it with individual club, a good website to use is http://www.clubconnexion.co.uk/, I am pretty sure Fabric, The Cross and Turnmills all use this.

on the 19th @ Pacha is KinkyMalinki, @ the Cross that Saturday is Serious (i think), they have Judge Jules palying that night apparently.

Both are great clubs, both should be great music. ;)

IBIZALISA said:
on the 19th @ Pacha is KinkyMalinki, @ the Cross that Saturday is Serious (i think), they have Judge Jules palying that night apparently.

Both are great clubs, both should be great music. ;)

Do they still have Dusted in the other room at The Cross when Serious is there?? That's a nice little funky escape if the trance gets too much :eek: :p

yeah, last time we went, which was only a couple of weeks ago, we spent the night in the Dusted room, had the time of my life.

But went to Dusted @ Pacha Saturday just gone, and music wasn't so good, and it was quite empty, although Rob Marmot did manage to revive us right at the end. ;)

Decisions, decisions

Saturday is proving be a tough call... Kinky Malinki at Pacha looks pretty damn good too... Also heard good things (above) about Fabric and the Cross...

Friday looks easy though as The Gallery @ Turnmills is apparently "the only decent Friday night in London"?

I need to move back to a big city. I remember having the pleasure of dilemmas like this frequently when I was living in NY and Toronto... Dublin is pretty easy - you have your choice of crap or crap (nights when celeb djs play Spirit excepted).

Welcome to the forum at last buddy! Got those post Ibiza blues eh? BTW, did you get your photos done yet I'm hoping you got more shots than I did?

(sorry to hijack this thread BTW)

Back