Learning Spanish

whilst we're on languages, check this guy out. Am guessing even Stivi doesn't speak Luxembourgish!

I remember when I was around 11 I was in holidays in France at a camp site.
I met a friend out (also 11) there from luxumberg who could speak perfect English, French, german, and if course luxumbergish.
I wish uk/Eire had a culture where we learn (properly) at least one foreign language.
These other countries put us to shame in that regards

Talk about something opening doors... (perception and otherwise).

Learning a language opens SO many doors. Even if you only know two words. :)

It's phenomenal when even someone can say, "Uno momento." or, "Yo entendiendo muy poquito. Lo siento.".

Used to open more doors tbh. I find everyone answers in English here now. A combination of my terrible accent leading people to assume I'll find it a struggle and also people wanting to practice their English. Something that irritates me but the world's changed.. of course switching btwn langs is exhausting a lot of the time, esp when humour doesn't translate or when things get misunderstood but that's the price of moving abroad.. the only real issue for me though is at the doctor or dealing on phone with call centres, or anything technical... Then it can get problematic haha
I live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, and the same exact thing happens to me - No Spanish for you, Gringo! :D

But I find that they answer in English, then I say something in Spanish again and it makes it clear that I intend to continue en Español.

It's like you said; they would like to practice their English, and unless you make it clear you mean to continue in Spanish they likely conclude that it will be easier this way if they simply speak with you in English.

But I'm guessing that is how languages become used less in the world. I feel like speaking Spanish, so I continue that way.

Back