Learning Spanish

I am using a book called Assimil, comes with listening cds, i found it really great for learning, but you also have to watch series, listen to music etc.. in ordee to get a hold of the language. I already know some French and the Spanish language has a lot of French words in it so i picked it up easily. If you know French it should be a piece of cake.
I am also taking a course in ibiza so you could always do that when you visit as well, anywhere in Spain. Its a nice way to talk to Spanish people and learn faster.
I am up for practicing Spanish with you once you start speaking it :)
Rania, did you notice the date of the message you've just replied to?

Honestly can say the best way is to surround yourself in an environment of Spanish culture. I.e. Go to Spain or Spanish speaking place such as coffee shops in London with groups of people speaking it.

Practicing, failing and being corrected repeatedly is the best way.

I studied Spanish at university for a year and found actually talking amongst people far far better use for me than using traditional teaching methods.

Honestly can say the best way is to surround yourself in an environment of Spanish culture. I.e. Go to Spain or Spanish speaking place such as coffee shops in London with groups of people speaking it.

I studied Spanish at university for a year and found actually talking amongst people far far better use for me than using traditional teaching methods.

^ agreed - sound advice

I personally try and avoid the 'guiri' ghetto in BCN and speak Spanish/Catalan wherever possible (albeit with a tragic accent but can't have it all)

Yes of course. Years ago I had a crack at learning spanish,half hearted though,I didn't get stuck into it. I've been really busy in my spare time the past 4 years,but thats just about done now. So I might have another crack at it.

I have watched a few of those videos I posted,and I think if I stuck with the repetition that might be a good start,for me anyway?

Just go in with the good old fashioned chat up line.. I'm making a Spanish language video. It's called how's your oral

Yes of course. Years ago I had a crack at learning spanish,half hearted though,I didn't get stuck into it. I've been really busy in my spare time the past 4 years,but thats just about done now. So I might have another crack at it.

I have watched a few of those videos I posted,and I think if I stuck with the repetition that might be a good start,for me anyway?

Give the free app duolingo a bash. If you have a hands free kit this is best for speaking exercises... plus it nags you to practice. Kills time while commuting.

^ agreed - sound advice

I personally try and avoid the 'guiri' ghetto in BCN and speak Spanish/Catalan wherever possible (albeit with a tragic accent but can't have it all)
I always thought you were very fluent, in fact almost Spanish. Did I get that wrong?

I always thought you were very fluent, in fact almost Spanish. Did I get that wrong?

not sure where you've heard me speak but I guess I write it ok. my accent is embarrassing though. it's a fact that kids pick up accents much better than adults and I never started to learn properly until I was a student

not sure where you've heard me speak but I guess I write it ok. my accent is embarrassing though. it's a fact that kids pick up accents much better than adults and I never started to learn properly until I was a student
yes, the written word. But i actually thought that you "had some Spanish in yer" Ive no idea where that thought came from?

Give the free app duolingo a bash. If you have a hands free kit this is best for speaking exercises... plus it nags you to practice. Kills time while commuting.

That's app is really good. My son downloaded it to his tablet as well,and he can't leave it alone,he loves it! Cheers

Decided to pull my finger out and learn the lingo. Done about an hour and half on Duolingo today. And dug out the Paul Noble cds for my commute to work this week. Used them years ago and was learning loads, but stupidly gave up.

there's no shortcuts btw - you have to sign up to classes and meet native speakers. the only way

Yeah, Duolingo is good, but I fear you could be correct with this. (I don't have time for classes atm.) Also, knowing an American who works in Spain and speaks the language well (as far as I can tell), she reckons Duolingo makes some things over-complicated, at least for conversational Spanish.

I'd been doing only one lesson a day since September, but have since bumped it up to two lessons a weekday, four on weekends now I have Granada and Ibiza in my sights for this year.

I tried duolingo years ago but half hearted but got the app again a week ago and going for it this time. I certainly dont think duolingo will get me speaking fluent spanish but hoping it will get me confident enough to take the next step as in classes and try to converse.
When using the app it feels a bit pointless but then when you log on the next day its crazy how much youve actually taken in. Quite satisfying even in the earliest of stages

I think duolingo is a cop-out personally, not so different to those useless learn spanish in a month tapes

it takes courage but throwing yourself in at the deep end is the best way to learn.

when woodgate was at real madrid - he learnt quite a lot of Spanish because he spent the whole time in the sickbay and only had access to the physios who spoke no English!
Wasn’t he injured most of the first season. And got sent off on his debut, no doubt he was fluent by then.

Back