Judgement @Eden

I think the problem Cream had is that attendances declined over a few years leading up to its last season at amnesia. At one point they were running twice a week and it wasn’t always a trance night, there was plenty of house in the earlier days. It use to be beyond rammed but I found they were half filling the main room by the end and they could never make anything work consistently well on the terrace. Sadly I think it had run its course at amnesia.

As for Lisa Lashes, she was quite versatile. Never heard her in Ibiza but she played a lot of prog trance sets in the UK that would have been a good fit on the island. She wasn’t always about hoovers and horns fairground music.

I first started going in 2010 so maybe my idea of busy and what it was before are different. In the decade I've been doing Ibiza Cream has been my favourite night so hopefully it returns in its old form at some point.

Would love to hear her play that genre. We're born in the same place so always had a bit of a soft spot for her.

That Lisa Lashes Lashed night ran for the whole season one year if I remember, it didn't return the next! From memory of that night, the back room at Eden was playing breakbeat and i'm sure lisa played in there too, which was actually really good!

Anyone remember when Ministry moved from their Pacha residency to Eden?! I think it had some really chessy name like Ministry Big Hits, we got a free pass to that one night, we walked in a straight back out again!

I'm 26 listened to judge on radio one when I was 15/16 and sadly by the time I got to the island judgement was gone. I really think I missed an great event from stories and videos I've heard and seen.

Eddies sets never get old for me but sadly his sound doesn't fit in today's market. I still listen to his podcast and seen him this year playing some great techno/tech house but I don't think he has the clout he used to to get some good gigs in today's tech house heavy scene.

I first started going in 2010 so maybe my idea of busy and what it was before are different. In the decade I've been doing Ibiza Cream has been my favourite night so hopefully it returns in its old form at some point.

Would love to hear her play that genre. We're born in the same place so always had a bit of a soft spot for her.
Yeah, I go back a decade before that. I’ve seen it so bad in the main room in amnesia that people burst out of the fire escape involuntarily,literally squeezed out. Meanwhile the terrace was dead! I have to say that for a long time cream at amnesia was my fav night. Lisa may have some of those sets on YouTube or sound cloud. Drop her management an email, you never know.

i’ve got very fond memories of Judgement sunday, the first ever ibiza club night i attended back in 01. He used to play a funky set in the back room, then a trance, hard house set in the main room.
Jules at that time was the big player along with seb fontaine & Fergie on radio 1. as you can see by this picture, i was fairly chuffed 22 year old on meeting him before he played his set ? How small am i & young i look back then ?7875

Haha I remember that now that he always did a funky set first in the back room I forgot all about that.

Jesus Radio1 on Saturdays was the highlight of my week at bout 15 year old, recording jules off the radio on cassette then blasting it on a 'portable' tape player that took 12 size D batteries while we did some good old fashioned underage drinking haha

It's nice to see Judge Jules getting a bit of love here, I know it's not fashionable on these forums to like JJ but I used to love his Radio 1 show back in the day and he's the sole reason I came to Ibiza in the first place all those years ago. My music taste has evolved of course since then (and in the opposite direction to his unfortunately) but some of those early Judgement Sundays parties were amazing. He also seems like a decent bloke so I'm not really sure why he attracts all the flack he gets TBH.

I remember him rocking Radio1 back in the day ?

We went to see him at the (then) Telewest arena in Newcastle early 2000's for something like Godskitchen? His name alone was enough to fill the place right out!

Was a real buzz about the town in all the boozers in the Bigg Market, as pretty much every man jack was going to see him. Loads of groups of people all teaming up and walking down towards the arena. Coaches unloading squads of people from all over the place.

Good times :D?

But like has already been mentioned, doubt people would recognise his name now? :(

Jesus Radio1 on Saturdays was the highlight of my week at bout 15 year old, recording jules off the radio on cassette then blasting it on a 'portable' tape player that took 12 size D batteries while we did some good old fashioned underage drinking haha

haha ? same mate! Although I was a few years older.

Used to record it off Radio 1 and blast the cassettes out in my Peugeot 306.

I remember one of them used to piss me off because Radio 1 stopped it halfway through to do the football scores ? wankers.

I remember him rocking Radio1 back in the day ?

We went to see him at the (then) Telewest arena in Newcastle early 2000's for something like Godskitchen? His name alone was enough to fill the place right out!

Was a real buzz about the town in all the boozers in the Bigg Market, as pretty much every man jack was going to see him. Loads of groups of people all teaming up and walking down towards the arena. Coaches unloading squads of people from all over the place.

Good times :D?

But like has already been mentioned, doubt people would recognise his name now? :(
Remember seeing him at gatecrasher lotherton Hall in 1999 after oakenfold had just torn the tent a new one. Unfazed he went off and delivered 90 minutes of unreleased and unheard bangers that would now grace most ‘best of trance’ compilation cds. It was pretty much downhill from then on for me where jules was concerned after that but I thank him for those 90 minutes, his Saturday night show and having to get up at 2 and 3am to record his essential mixes onto cassette. Those 120 minute tapes were bloody hard to find and cost a fortune, but it felt incredibly important to me to at time to have the whole 2 hours one tape!

As you say, I don’t think a lot of clubbers under the age of 25 would have even heard of him now. He was everywhere for 15 years though,must have been fit because I can’t think of a harder working dj around that time.

Has he been voted off master chef yet? Cooking isn’t his new forte!

Taping from the radio ? the struggle was real. Added bonus of someones dodgy cassette player chewing your best tape up! Or someone stealing your prized 'mixes'. I used to chop up my own mix tapes from radio mixes or live recorded mix tapes.

With Soundcloud and all that sort of stuff, and downloading mixes these days, people have it so easy.

Suppose every one has there day, I wasn't aware he was on Master Chef? I will reserve 'judgement' on his cooking skills ? as people in glass houses etc!

Fair play to him, suppose he can look back and say he was at the forefront of it all for a good few years ?

Taping from the radio ? the struggle was real. Added bonus of someones dodgy cassette player chewing your best tape up! Or someone stealing your prized 'mixes'. I used to chop up my own mix tapes from radio mixes or live recorded mix tapes.

With Soundcloud and all that sort of stuff, and downloading mixes these days, people have it so easy.

Suppose every one has there day, I wasn't aware he was on Master Chef? I will reserve 'judgement' on his cooking skills ? as people in glass houses etc!

Fair play to him, suppose he can look back and say he was at the forefront of it all for a good few years ?
That moment when you realised the tape was ruined and you’d never hear those tunes again! It was emotional, so much so I started obsessively backing them up after the tape player in my c reg Peugeot 205 destroyed one too many. I still have about 500 essential mixes on tape in the loft, with back ups. What sad bastard! T’internet will never catch on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those live JJ essential mixes at much earlier times like 11pm were brilliant coming from clubs like Sundisessential or Progress that we’re unheard of before and got exposure on national radio.

My personal fave JJ moment was Homelands in 2000 or was it 2001on the outdoor stage. Banging radio show with peak Tiesto as his guest. That will probably never be beaten for me.

That moment when you realised the tape was ruined and you’d never hear those tunes again! It was emotional, so much so I started obsessively backing them up after the tape player in my c reg Peugeot 205 destroyed one too many. I still have about 500 essential mixes on tape in the loft, with back ups. What sad bastard! T’internet will never catch on.

500? Very admirable mate ? I had a similar collection but have sadly lost them all, bar a few.

Sometimes get lucky and find them on YouTube ?

The Clubbers Guides to Ibiza cds that used to come out mixed by him were good, in fact it was the one that came out in 1998 that was my soundtrack to the summer, and my firct clubbing holiday in Ibiza! It had Binary Finary 1998 on it, and was the first place I had heard it before, the one that came out in 1999 was good too

The Clubbers Guides to Ibiza cds that used to come out mixed by him were good, in fact it was the one that came out in 1998 that was my soundtrack to the summer, and my firct clubbing holiday in Ibiza! It had Binary Finary 1998 on it, and was the first place I had heard it before, the one that came out in 1999 was good too

I went ibiza Trance week last month and Binary Finary was playing Captured. Was one of the best sets I've ever attended. Was absolutely pumping in the seal pit after dark.

As has already been said, great to see the judge getting some love. I would have gone this night had I got holiday left at work. If he does it next year I'm going to head over and bring back the memories of those school days of listening to him on Radio 1 and my early days of ibiza. Sad that the young one's don't know him. With risk of sounding like an old fart, Jules can probably still put on a better set than most, if not all Radio 1 dance DJs of today. I personally only know Tong and Mac but I haven't listened to radio one for about 7 years so maybe I'm wrong :lol:

I went ibiza Trance week last month and Binary Finary was playing Captured. Was one of the best sets I've ever attended. Was absolutely pumping in the seal pit after dark.

As has already been said, great to see the judge getting some love. I would have gone this night had I got holiday left at work. If he does it next year I'm going to head over and bring back the memories of those school days of listening to him on Radio 1 and my early days of ibiza. Sad that the young one's don't know him. With risk of sounding like an old fart, Jules can probably still put on a better set than most, if not all Radio 1 dance DJs of today. I personally only know Tong and Mac but I haven't listened to radio one for about 7 years so maybe I'm wrong :lol:
Without wishing to hijack the thread but maybe you should check out Luminosity if you're into your trance, it's a great little mini-festival by the sea in Holland. JJ played a nice classics set there this year.

Without wishing to hijack the thread but maybe you should check out Luminosity if you're into your trance, it's a great little mini-festival by the sea in Holland. JJ played a nice classics set there this year.

I know a few people that have been to this. Always interested me. Might give it a go next year. Got a two week ibiza trip as well as 3 other holiday's though so may have to be the year after.

Ahhh jumping on the "we love the judge" bandwagon here - ohh the memories :) it was him and Dave Pearce on Radio 1 that got me in to dance music at 14/15. I remember my boyfriend sneaking me in to Escape in Swansea to see them in 2000 when I was 16, really happy times! Even though I didn't hit the magic island until 2012 Judge Jules was still playing (I think he was playing the "Full on Ferry" nights that year). Went back the year after and it was Judgement Fridays - I managed to meet him at Bay Bar earlier on that Friday evening as they were hosting the pre-party. That was a messy messy holiday ?

Back