John Peel R.I.P.

truly, truly shocking.

The man was quite simply, a genius with exemplary musical taste, from prog rock to nosebleed techno, he was a man to trust.

btw, if anyone ever listened to his home truths show on Radio 4, you will recognise that he was a family man of distinciton

still pretty young too.

again, truly, truly shocking

john_peel.jpg

:(

Gutted! That man turned me onto some fantastic music back in the early 80's..... Sadly missed by all music fans... :cry:

He is irreplaceable. :cry:

Just compare him to all the other radio 'djs' out there and there really is no contest.

He exposed me to some of my favourite bands (The Fall!) who as they're not 'mainstream', I probably wouldn't have heard otherwise.

RIP.

I feel really sad now, he was and is an absolute legend, I only hope someone can enlighten me to so much different but good music in the future

john

all i can say is what a sad loss lets all hope hes up there still playin them at the wrong speed have a good show john rip :cry:

This man is an absolute radio god... :( can't believe he's gone, I grew up listening to his show in the late eighties early ninties on medium wave over here...everything from electro and punk to world music,and later aphex twin,jeff mills,Njoi,prodigy etc,he was for me the most genuine down to earth broadcaster that I have ever listened to,always ready to promote new music and the way he engaged you with his self deprecating style made you love him even more,even though you never knew him,everytime you listened to his show you were always taken on a journey,never knowing what new surprises lay in wait,he was a one off and will never be replaced I think. :cry:

He fought the good fight for alternative and underground music. He was a pioneer of punk music when others refused to play it, was the first to play bands like New Order, Frankie goes to Hollywood, The Undertones, The Pogues, The Levellers- the list is endless. He even championed Sigue Sigue Sputnik who might not have been all that great, but where would dance music have been today had they not pushed the use of vocal samples and repetetive beats to the forefront of British music long before anyone else used them extensively? He also played the track with my favourite title of all time - Charlton Heston's Got His Vest On by Stump. When my flat got flooded out I listened to him nearly every night whilst I didn't have a computer or telly to keep me entertained, and he played a bit of trance and a lot of Drum n bass. As posted on another board *GUTTED*

Elius Books (pronounced Elyus Books) of Liverpool are to publish a book about late BBC broadcaster John Peel in his memory. It will be published in the spring of 2005 and will be made up of contributions from people who worked with him and also his fans. It will be a wide-ranging publication, and upbeat in style. Commissioning of the publication is underway, but no details as to who has written about John Peel will be given until closer to the publication date, which is to be announced. There will be pictures in this publication.

For updates and a sneak preview of the cover of the book, please visit www.elius-books.co.uk. "There is much work to be done as you can imagine, but we are confident that when the book is published you will be surprised by its appearance, and also what it contains," the publishers said in a statement. "We very much hope that those fans of John Peel will purchase a copy, details of which can be seen on the web site."

Veteran BBC broadcaster John Peel died of a heart attack on Oct. 25 at the age of 65 while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was BBC Radio 1's longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented "Home Truths" on Radio 4.

rustywoo said:
The man was quite simply, a genius with exemplary musical taste, from prog rock to nosebleed techno
Peel's show featured the famous "John Peel sessions", in which bands —including such extreme acts as NAPALM DEATH and CARCASS — were invited to record exclusive tracks for the program in a BBC studio.

More recently, Peel wrote the introduction to "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore", written by longtime extreme metal journalist Albert Mudrian, which revisits critical moments in the history of the grindcore and death metal genres.

In an interview with B92.net, Peel spoke about his love of extreme music. "I quite like death metal because it's just so extreme and so grotesquely tasteless," he said. "I think bad taste is quite important. You get these people who will occasionally write to the BBC and complain when I've played death metal and there was this case in America where some woman was murdered by this couple that were into black magic and Satanism but then you say, 'Well, how many people have been killed in the names of the authorised and established religions?' — a great many more. So the idea that you object to these things because they've got these silly Satanist lyrics is just nonsense I think."

c45159qfn8v.jpg

If you go to hmv, you can 2 for 1 on " fabric live" cd's, peely's contribution is well worth checking out!!

it's got "love will tear us apart" by joy division and obviously ends with "teenage kicks" but there are also extracts from commentary of Liverpool's euro glory days of the late 70's....I challenge any footy fan (liverpool or otherwise) not to be moved by these!!!

;)

Excellent!! :D

can you get cover for love will tear us apart?

It's got a picture of a "grave statue" on it i think??

I got the 12" in my loft somewhere!!

Back