Jellyfish situation?

FunkyLady

Hi guys... can anyone enlighten me as to the Jellyfish situation this year? We are heading over next wednesday staying in apartments with no pool with two kiddies! The apartment is RIGHT on the beach though. In previous years Ive noticed quite a few jellys around santa eulalia and portinatx. But not having had kids with us, we havent needed to spend toomuch time in the sea.

Hows things looking this year?... also, my mum (an ibiza virgin!) is wondering what the evenings are faring like at the moment, temperature wise? is it still cardigan weather from sunset onwards?

xxx

there are jellyfish around - always depending on the currents. one day none, one day plenty. i wouldn't say there's more than in other years, but they are around. so just check the beach and if they are around, drive to another beach.

it's still a tad chilly in the evenings, but not cold anymore. actually really comfy weather right now.

Ive been swimming in the sea and found myself amoungst jellyfish, at first I was a bit scared, but they were tiny and sort of moved out my way which I thought was weird! Didnt get stung, I'm not sure if those little fellas do sting, if they do does it hurt? As far as I know, they are fairly freindly jelly fish, as opposed to a box jellyfish or man of war, that can cripple you!

Some jellyfish are worst than others, box jelly's are deadly...howver only found in australia and near indonesia from what I have read.

Not all Jellyfish sting people (what I mean is that people won't feel the sting). Many you can touch.. so it depends on the type.

Me and mates pretty much embarrassed ourselves on a beach cos of these lil bar stewards! Took a rubner dingy off the bay, promptly tipped right in the middle of a group of them!!! Lil gits had stung us head to toe by the time we swam back

Only encountered them once but quite a lot at salinas one time. Had been rough seas for couple days dunno if that played a part

Had a dream I was in the sea off Formentera surrounded by jellyfish last night. Which is weird cause I only saw this thread today.

Forgot about this thread. Urgh... I get so panicky when I see jellyfish. Never been stung by one, but they have become a bit of a fear for some reason!! I've also had many scary dreams of being in deep water surrounded by the blighters!!

It wasn't particularly scary though tbh. Just surreal! Last year I had been in and out of the water in Formentera all day before hearing a wee boy shouting MEDUSAS! MEDUSAS! Was only then i spotted there was a fair number of tiny wee jellyfish about the size of satsumas. Must have been in among them all day but didnt appear to have been stung. Was still reluctant to go back in though :lol:

Im allergic to jellys so in 2013 when we hired one of the Star boats and went round towards Cala Bassa, I was too busy thinking "what beautiful clear blue sea", a quick scan of the area and was the first and only one to jump straight in.. As soon as I was paddling around my mate shouted there was a little purple/blue coloured jellyfish near me o_O never climbed on a boat so quick in all my life :lol: after that we headed towards cafe mambo and the jellyfish were massive red/clear ones!! Safe to say I never went back in the sea on that boat trip :(

Reactions: ric
What's the sting like?? Is it worse that a bee or wasp??

Up until last year, I hadn't been stung by a bee/wasp in about 20yrs so had built it up in my mind so much that i considered it to be "near death pain"... :lol:

Then, as i was driving home from work one day last year i felt a sharp scratch on my lower back so reached around to scratch my back over the top of my shirt... I must have hit the bee/wasp as it then fell down into the gap between my body and the top of my trousers... The scumbag stung me again and i ended up swerving the car over to the side of the road and up onto the footpath... :lol:

It was sore enough for about 10 mins...

in my experience it's comparable to a wasp sting. i've never been stung on really sensitive flesh though ;)

i've also hardly ever been stung in many years here. they tend to come in during summer if the weather is very warm and sticky (nothing to do with high season though) - a local once explained he could feel jellyfish weather. i sort of know what he means. they ride the prevailing currents in - but that also means they only hit one side of the island. one of nicest things about ibiza being small is that if one beach isn't good, there's another just round the corner with different conditions. and that can apply to wind, waves, jellyfish, seaweed, looky-looky men, ticket touts, drunk clubbers... everything really ;)

in my experience it's comparable to a wasp sting. i've never been stung on really sensitive flesh though ;)

i've also hardly ever been stung in many years here. they tend to come in during summer if the weather is very warm and sticky (nothing to do with high season though) - a local once explained he could feel jellyfish weather. i sort of know what he means. they ride the prevailing currents in - but that also means they only hit one side of the island. one of nicest things about ibiza being small is that if one beach isn't good, there's another just round the corner with different conditions. and that can apply to wind, waves, jellyfish, seaweed, looky-looky men, ticket touts, drunk clubbers... everything really ;)

:lol::lol:

I got done on tarida , snorkelling 1 went down my back. I had no idea what it was , but it felt like my back had been slashed open 3 times.
Got sprayed by a life guard , took 3 days for the pain to go away .
If i see them now in out of there !

basically always have a look around when you arrive at a beach and before you do the 'who's first in the water' comp.

then I personally almost always go swimming with a diving mask and with this you should be fine - just open your eyes!

... one of nicest things about ibiza being small is that if one beach isn't good, there's another just round the corner with different conditions
. and that can apply to wind, waves, jellyfish, seaweed, looky-looky men, ticket touts, drunk clubbers... everything really ;)
:rolleyes: :idea: :cool: :)

Back