Jackmaster

Saw that Skream was singing his praises on Twitter last week, saying that he's the best selector in the game. The responses (in the main) were that people were looking forward to seeing him back on the scene. No doubt he'll be back at some point, maybe not to Ibiza straight away, but he'll start to get more and more bookings once he's played a few gigs again.

Saw that Skream was singing his praises on Twitter last week, saying that he's the best selector in the game. The responses (in the main) were that people were looking forward to seeing him back on the scene. No doubt he'll be back at some point, maybe not to Ibiza straight away, but he'll start to get more and more bookings once he's played a few gigs again.

Look how well the likes of Sulta and Jasper James have been doing since he went away. People have already moved on to the next djs.. no way this hypocrite will ever get back to playing at that level again.

See he has a post on his FB page:

"As many of you are aware, I was responsible for unacceptable behaviour after my performance at a festival in Bristol last year. I am sorry for the hurt I caused and all the people I let down.
The posting of an ambiguous statement led to rumours and conjecture as to what really happened. During a 20 minute episode in a busy backstage area I grabbed and tried to kiss several women, while intoxicated and out of control. Whilst many people may think I used intoxication as an excuse, I would be the first to admit that you simply cannot excuse this type of behaviour: I take full responsibility for my poor choices surrounding this situation and I am taking it very seriously.
Some people have been asking where I’ve been and the simple answer is that I had to take an extended period out - to respect others, the gravity of the situation, and to work on my health: both mental and physical. It’s been important to identify and understand how and why I could reach a state that would result in me putting other human beings, and myself, in a position of distress.
This is an industry built on hedonism and escapism, which I have lived for in the past - but there is a human element to what you don’t see. I grew up around mental illness and alcohol abuse and I coped with my Mothers death at a young age by focusing on music. For a long time leading up to this incident, I was using substances as a crutch to mask deeply rooted issues stemming from my childhood, that I now realise I was too afraid and embarrassed to confront. As a result, in recent years I found myself slipping into patterns reflecting my upbringing.
With my Dad’s health in increasingly rapid decline last year, in an attempt to distract myself from reality I again resorted to substances and an excessive work schedule instead of dealing with my emotions. While I’m not excusing what happened on any of this, I realise that I had to step back and seek help to deal with things properly to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again.
I accept that I can’t change the past, but over the last 12 months I have made many significant changes to address the destructive parts of my lifestyle, and taken the time to understand how my actions can impact others. These are by no means quick fixes, nor does the time I’ve put in rectify my behaviour, but it’s the start of a journey which I am totally committed to. I hope this goes some way to reassure that I have taken this seriously and understand my responsibilities going forward.
Jack."

https://en-gb.facebook.com/ufi/reac...ier=ZmVlZGJhY2s6MjM1NjczNDYyNDM0OTE1OQ==&av=0

I work in the PR industry so I have a pretty keen bullshit antenna but I think that statement does sound legit and contrite... Of course, if he really wants to 'detoxify his brand' (jargon ugh) he could start by dropping the Jackmaster (lazily pilfered from one of Chicago's finest) and reinvent himself as a serious DJ under a new name. I also think there's lessons here for everyone who worships DJs as celebrities and brands. If someone behaves badly then let it be sorted out privately or via the police not public mea culpas designed to save careers. The whole industry needs to get away from this increasing commodification of people who ultimately just play records... and who were certainly never designed to be role-models, otherwise music will just go the way Beckham almost destroyed football - a place where the art is a mere vehicle for the celebrity... and where people who think they are gods think they can get away with anything.

I think he's straight to the point there with that statement. Past and present problems that lead him to use drugs and/or alcohol as a "blanket", he won't be the first nor the last.

He's done his time in the sin bin now. Its his job, he's self employed so will move on.

I work in the PR industry so I have a pretty keen bullshit antenna but I think that statement does sound legit and contrite... Of course, if he really wants to 'detoxify his brand' (jargon ugh) he could start by dropping the Jackmaster (lazily pilfered from one of Chicago's finest) and reinvent himself as a serious DJ under a new name. I also think there's lessons here for everyone who worships DJs as celebrities and brands. If someone behaves badly then let it be sorted out privately or via the police not public mea culpas designed to save careers. The whole industry needs to get away from this increasing commodification of people who ultimately just play records... and who were certainly never designed to be role-models, otherwise music will just go the way Beckham almost destroyed football - a place where the art is a mere vehicle for the celebrity... and where people who think they are gods think they can get away with anything.

He did an RA interview/mini-documentary a few years ago where he was quite candid about his upbringing and drug use. Agree entirely on matters being dealt with privately. Not condoning his actions at all, but incidents like this seem to be dealt with via kangaroo court on social media, fates decided when the right people speak out and the promotors react by dropping them from line-ups.

Does anyone know if his Numbers label were still releasing stuff over the last year?

He did an RA interview/mini-documentary a few years ago where he was quite candid about his upbringing and drug use. Agree entirely on matters being dealt with privately. Not condoning his actions at all, but incidents like this seem to be dealt with via kangaroo court on social media, fates decided when the right people speak out and the promotors react by dropping them from line-ups.

Does anyone know if his Numbers label were still releasing stuff over the last year?

It’s a very good interview. Nice but sad to Hear him talk about his mother and then sitting down talking music with his dad. You can really see the love he has for Music.

Will there be the same backlash as when Circo Loco booked Tenwalls? DJ’s refusing to play on same lineup. I don’t think there will be.

Will there be the same backlash as when Circo Loco booked Tenwalls? DJ’s refusing to play on same lineup. I don’t think there will be.

IMO exactly the same happened already. in the ten walls case as well as in jackmaster's case, the artist was then taken off every single line up (including circoloco) and didn't get a single gig for a year or so. ten wall is playing again, but the incident clearly damaged his entire career. I guess jackmaster will now soon start gigging again, not sure what will be of him in the long haul.

Back