in ibiza for world cup

somewhere with a tv will be your best bet as the matches actually take place several thousand miles away.

can't be bothered to address the original post (stephen summed it up really :lol: )

but I do remember being in Spain in summer of 82 during the world cup (for a stop off in Barca and then a holiday on the costa brava)

orange mascots everywhere - it was a massive psychological boost for the country barely a year after an attempted coup (although obv too young to appreciate the significance of that at the time)

my grandparents lived a 10min walk away from the Sarria stadium (where Espanyol used to play) which was host to possibly the greatest world cup game ever Brazil v Italy (2-3) but cdn't get tickets!

I think everyone remembers their first world cup - a good way of finding out what generation someone is - and that and Mexico 86 are the ones that I have the fondest memories of.

I think everyone remembers their first world cup - a good way of finding out what generation someone is - and that and Mexico 86 are the ones that I have the fondest memories of.

First one I can remember was Italia '90.

USA '94 I have a better recolection of... baggio's penalty miss!! :eek:

Italia 90 still lives long in my memory

the quality of football was generally pretty poor but the comedy/drama quotient was very high esp the final which was one of the dirtiest ever!

Italia 90 still lives long in my memory

the quality of football was generally pretty poor but the comedy/drama quotient was very high esp the final which was one of the dirtiest ever!

And the infamous Rijkaard/Voller 'gobbing' incident! Me and the old man still chuckle about that to this day :)

USA '94 I have a better recolection of... baggio's penalty miss!! :eek:
I'll never forget going out on the streets of Boston after the final.

Locally resident Brazilians driving up and down the streets of Cambridge waving flags and honking horns.

The summer that soccer took over America.

78!

The ticker tape final
van de kirkoffs plaster cast
the argies taking forever to enter the field of play
resenbrink hitting the post in injury time when he would have won it
scotlands belief they weren't just making up the numbers
arry haan banging in goals from what at the time seemed like the outskirts of buenos aries
perus dodgy argie keeper!

Yes my favorite team of that finals were holland!!!

86 - i only remember a poster on me and my (4 year older) brother's bedroom wall

90 - vague, i seem to remember my white scotland shellsuit / blue tracksuit combination better than any actual football

94 - supported brazil, loved it, but i also found a pigeon (who I named Bebeto) half dead in the street and nursed it until it breathed its last during the brazil - holland game. It's buried in my parent's garden somewhere. We had a funeral for it.

98 - vague memories of scotland's last world cup outing, mainly due to being (almost) old enough to get drunk. attempted to gain entry successfully to my first local pub, only for my mate Colin to **** it up by ordering a pint and getting us all chucked out - we were in a vodka bar :spank:

"90 - vague, i seem to remember my white scotland shellsuit / blue tracksuit combination better than any actual football"

god this thread makes me feel ancient!! 1990 year of 'no alla violenza' tops all over the hacienda

I was in Ibiza for part of the 2006 World Cup. Sitting at a bar right on the beach in PdB watching USA v Ghana, eating tapas and drinking sangria, has to rank among the best football watching experiences I've had outside a stadium. Would have been better if the US won, of course...

The Brazilian parties at Pago Pago (opposite end of Jet complex from Bora Bora) every time they won were a lot of fun. Drums and costumes and dancing.

Italia 90 was a classic, like olly said not quality football but packed with drama.. Spain 82 was a belter.. Anyone remember Italy v Brazil? Im sure italy won 3-2 with rossi doing the damage and marco tardelli's enthusiastic celebration all topped off nicely with some brazilian flare from the likes of zico, falcao and socrates!!! Wot a game!!!! Sorry im rambling..............:lol::lol:

Back