Ibiza Wildlife

Thought had occured that if the snakes eat all the lovely lizards, then they will have to move on to other stuff, such as rats, mice etc - so could do Ibiza a favour there. Once those have all gone, then the snakes run out of food - providing people don't feed them by leaving waste out on the roads in bags or lose etc. So that should be the end of the snakes - especially if they continue to be caught. What else could they eat that's not too too big for them? Wild cats? Can they manage that? OK they will climb trees for birds I suppose, but in that case we would know where one is and attempt to trap it?

But no lizards? Well, not quite, if they can be bred in captivity where they can't get out nor snakes get in, they should be ready for re-release albeit in small numbers at first in snake-free areas (but touristy so food will be around) and maybe flourish again? We could do with locals taking in male and female lizards as pets! I absolutely would!!

Finally!

Good. Glad they are taking this seriously and throwing the tax money at it. As for the snakes themselves, I think they are harmless to us, and if any potential tourist is a bit scared of them, I think generally they avoid human contact and won't jump out into your path? In the UK we have poisonous adders that will bite, but generally only if they are disturbed and/or are protecting their eggs/babies.

Although knowing there are snakes around might make the activities in the Salinas dunes a little more interesting. A friend tells me.

Good. Glad they are taking this seriously and throwing the tax money at it. As for the snakes themselves, I think they are harmless to us, and if any potential tourist is a bit scared of them, I think generally they avoid human contact and won't jump out into your path? In the UK we have poisonous adders that will bite, but generally only if they are disturbed and/or are protecting their eggs/babies.

Although knowing there are snakes around might make the activities in the Salinas dunes a little more interesting. A friend tells me.

Snakes on a plain?

Back