Ibiza Police.......beware or just be smart?

Crystal

How are the cops in Ibiza?
I have been to places where the cops are so corrupt that you can pay them off for anything (Mexico). They will also try and take advantage of you if you aren't careful.
Then again I have also been to places where the cops will turn their heads, or just simply don't care to be bothered.
What should I be prepared for?
Beware or just be smart?

I saw them inside Space last Tuesday randomly shaking people down. Maybe they had probable cause, I dont know, but there were pulling people from inside the club and searching them.

Scenic said:
I saw them inside Space last Tuesday randomly shaking people down. Maybe they had probable cause, I dont know, but there were pulling people from inside the club and searching them.

:eek: really? yikes!!

Just as long as they aren't going to catch me in the pool in the middle of the night and demand ten dollars or else take me to jail then I'm cool.
(True story)

Crystal said:
Just as long as they aren't going to catch me in the pool in the middle of the night and demand ten dollars or else take me to jail then I'm cool.
(True story)

in Mexico? harsh :evil:

i think the police are more present now than ever before alot more random checks on people for drugs??
2 years ago i was sitting about 100 yards away fom bar m after a cracking day at space probably the best clubbing day of my life when a man and a woman who you wouldnt look twice at came over to me flashed there badges and asked to search my friend. As they searched him i became aware there was something in my pocket that shouldnt be anyway the female cop found it threw it on the ground stamped on it and started shouting at me i was absolutley petrified the things that went through my head at that moment!!! in the end after alot of grovelling and them not fining me a ridiculous amount of money they just walked off i was still shaking 1 hour later.
just be extra extra carefull because you dont know who could be watching you? i never thought in million years it would happen to me but it did! it didnt spoil my hol or anything but im a bit more vigilant nowdays.

whoah.....
that is kinda scary.
but look on the bright side.....at least they didn't take you to jail right?
That's like the ultimate nightmare, go to jail in a foriegn country. I've come close but never been there thank god!

crystal this is IBIZA SPAIN EUROPE!!! not mexico, police can be as corrupt as they are in USA (but they are more relaxed on drugs) although what people here say been in the island more than a 100 times never been searched

have to agree with you el diablo they are a bit more tolerent in spain more than the uk this country is a joke when it comes to drug laws?? i only know of 1 other person to get searched and that was in the same year

Be careful and dont do anything which may offend them (e.g- flout money in their faces), think the guardia dudes are the harshest (ones in green).

at home it's a whole different ball game.
I work with alot of the cops down here so they always fill me in.
The only thing I worry about down here is speeding tickets. But I won't be driving in ibiza so i should be fine.

I was really just concerned with how they treated people. Because I could imagine that in such a tourist populated area that cops might mess with people..... but from the way it sounds by all you guys I really just need not do anything blatantly obvious and stupid. And I think I can go 8 days.
(at least I hope) :rolleyes:

Crystal said:
How are the cops in Ibiza?
I have been to places where the cops are so corrupt that you can pay them off for anything (Mexico). They will also try and take advantage of you if you aren't careful.
Then again I have also been to places where the cops will turn their heads, or just simply don't care to be bothered.
What should I be prepared for?
Beware or just be smart?

Crystal, you are talking about Ibiza, what it's placed in Spain, what is placed in Europe and I think it's a "small" difference with Mexico....

Just don't do nothing you wouldn't do at home and you'll be ok

ascendia said:
the guardia civil are :evil: :evil: :evil:

that ascendia, is a load of rubbish.

the guardia civil are trying to do a job, just like everyone else who works on the island.

be as smart as you would at home, and you will be fine. (sylvia beat me to it ;-)

i have a nasty experince with them from years back, when they treatened to kill my boyfriend(put a gun to his head, & says ' tomato') i was 18 and terrified.

he had been stupid yes, but the whole expereince left scars in his psyche for sure.

there was stories going around about the guardia civil, that they would take people, and they were never to be seen again. this is more than 10 years ago and on majorca, they might have changed their tune since then... but back then they were the last remains of franco, and people were petrefied of them.

ascendia said:
i have a nasty experince with them from years back, when they treatened to kill my boyfriend(put a gun to his head, & says ' tomato') i was 18 and terrified.

:eek: :eek:

Back