Ibiza on a shoestring?

Just read through this for the second time (reading it for the first time six months ago) and still pissed myself at the post about eating tinned potatoes and LeeT's insightful response.

HOT tinned potatoes!

Anyway, not only is there a recession in Spain, so they should be gagging for folks to go, there is the threat of industrial action by the airport staff throughout Spain - days have already been announced, meaning peeps will be switching their holidays to somewhere else.

Apart from the Spanish shooting themselves in both feet, hopefully for us it will mean more hotel space/offers and cheaper prices all round. But I doubt it....

No offence meant, I always try to save a few Euros when I am there, it is just the mental image of you with a tin of potatoes cracks me up for some reason.

Howardh

Brings back memories first time in Ibiza got a late deal ended up in self catering apps in Playa den bossa it was all in Pesetas then , the pound was not to good as like now
first week eat out then realised money running low so bought fresh salad a bit of deli meat and potatoes in a jar ready cooked and had them cold , really enjoyed it
so your not the only one who's done it
I love it
Have fun

The day i consider flying somewhere to eat tinned potatoes and frankfurters "cooked" in a plastic cup is the day i chuck myself off a cliff. I would rather work harder and save more so i can enjoy myself than go somewhere and be skint.

I am back to chuckling (more pissing myself laughing really) again to Dave's comments.

The first time I did that was in 1995, now I am in £59,000 of debt (seriously).
Some good memorys though!

The day i consider flying somewhere to eat tinned potatoes and frankfurters "cooked" in a plastic cup is the day i chuck myself off a cliff. I would rather work harder and save more so i can enjoy myself than go somewhere and be skint.

Bluntly put, but I 100% concur.

I'm more than happy to cut out luxuries for the next three months so I save the moolah and have a whale of a time when I go away on my annual hol, whether that be to Ibiza or elsewhere.

Obviously a huge allure of Ibiza is the clubbing scene, which whilst unrivalled is notoriously expensive.

However, a holiday is not just solely about clubbing.

Why visit a Spanish island with all its glorious cuisine, culture, scenary etc. when you can't experience it because of a lack of funds?

Sure, some days/nights you have to tigthten pursestrings to accomodate for the "bigger" more expensives sessions, so fine if your slumming it 2-3 out of 7. But I emplore you, you will get the most out of your Ibiza experience if you save that little bit more. If money is that much of an issue to you, then simply give this year a miss, save up and have it large next summer. Or go for a short break instead of a week/fortnight.

As people have already indicated, there are plenty of ways to save money without being a miser.

If your on a budget I know this more about PDB beaches and assume it is the same in San Antonio. They have PR walking around with wrist bands for free entry. If you take these you can get into club free. This will save you some money. If you do an all inclusive you can eat and drink your fill which could save you money in the long run. If you compare the cost of full board and self cater plus the cost of food and drink everyday. You may pay more upfront for accommodation upfront but save in the long run.

The only clubs with free wristbands are the terrible ones like Eden etc. Then again I suppose you could go mine-sweeping in those venues and hey if you get lucky they may be spiked with something. Jobs a guddun.

The only clubs with free wristbands are the terrible ones like Eden etc. Then again I suppose you could go mine-sweeping in those venues and hey if you get lucky they may be spiked with something. Jobs a guddun.

I've only been to Eden once and never been to Es Paradis, so never paid much attention to them but you can get into every other club on the cheap. Reduced and free wristbands are available for Space every night, Sankeys, DC 10, Amnesia and Privilege some nights too.

I've even been offered free guestlist on nights i never thought were possible like Cocoon and Matinee so it definitely pays to keep your ears open.

I'd only ever pay full price at bars for tickets if its a last minute decision at 2am and theres no other option.

hahahaha love reading over these old posts....i love the passion for the potato story :lol:

I agree with what Stephen says though, much better way of doing it 8)

I've only been to Eden once and never been to Es Paradis, so never paid much attention to them but you can get into every other club on the cheap. Reduced and free wristbands are available for Space every night, Sankeys, DC 10, Amnesia and Privilege some nights too.

I've even been offered free guestlist on nights i never thought were possible like Cocoon and Matinee so it definitely pays to keep your ears open.

I'd only ever pay full price at bars for tickets if its a last minute decision at 2am and theres no other option.

I've never got in for free anywhere. I need to step my game up!

Haha I've not been back on the spotlight forum for ages so I'm loving all these replies!! I know I'm about 2 years too late but I think this thread deserves a bump anyway since I'm sure we won't be the only ones wanting to do Ibiza on the cheap and I still think it's worth hearing folks suggestions!!

So anyway we did it - and here's how we did We managed to get a super cheap last minute deal staying at the Riviera hotel all inclusive, so that was a bonus right away (no tinned potatoes after all!!!) We kept the club nights to a minimum, just went on 2 biggies that we really fancied and we managed to get the tickets quite cheaply by sweet talking a few reps and rather than taxiing we used the free coach ride (scary experience that mind!!!)

Rather than buying drinks in Mambo for the sunset (which in hindsight I can't believe we ever did!) we just bought a cooler on the first day and filled it with beers to take down with us each night (and on our daytime island exploring too). On the last day we passed it on to a group of young stag do guys...I like to think they passed it on too and it's been doing the rounds of the island ever since :)

We managed to spend all our cash by the 2nd last day so just spent the last couple of days having a wander (thank god for all inclusive at least!) No money for taxi to the airport, so we braved (OK my boyfriend braved...I bus it everywhere but he's a bit of an Ibiza snob!) the bus - 3 euros each, took no less time than a taxi and picked us up right outside our hotel. That's the last time I pay for a taxi or a transfer to San An!!

Never made it to Formentera that year after all but anyway we're off back to Ibiza again this summer, and whilst I'm no longer a student and will have considerably more Euros to splash this year, I'm def going to keep up the saving in some areas (drinks at Mambo? ...yep, a coronita from a cooler on the steps outside) so that we can splash out on some nice meals and trips to Formentera and of course a night or two in the clubs.

What's your tips for Ibiza on the cheap? Tinned potatoes aside of course!!!

I'm afraid the drinks outside mambo Idea may have to be binned this year as apparently they are not allowing drinks bought elsewhere to be drank outside! My biggest money saver is always go all inclusive. I save so much money on food and alcohol this way. A lot of youngsters tend to not do this because eating is of low priority but there are some very cheap all inc hotels with foul food and you'd still get money's worth on drinks alone as long as u get one near a beach. I prefer to use fiesta hotels though they are more expensive but they are not funny about you taking more than 1 drink and going to the beach. I have stayed at cheaper hotels where it was 1 drink per person in a tiny cup so your constantly queuing at the bar.

Back