Ibiza Marathon - 3 October 2020

Re insurance that is weird as the big companies like AXA include marathons in the regular list of activities covered. Marathons in their own right are incredibly safe.

Really bad news about the organisers disappearing and I hope everyone gets their money back, even if that’s via credit card companies. I’d really like to do this marathon one day, so hope it will be back in the future
I know?! Strange right?! I’ve contacted loads of insurers - sports insurers will cover, just not when the FCO has a travel notice up. If I wasn’t running a Marathon no insurance wouldn’t be that big a deal.

I’m more than happy to run in April 2021... I’m usually on the island a few times a year and I know it’d be a great race - just need them to tell us what is going on? Handled very badly indeed.

I know?! Strange right?! I’ve contacted loads of insurers - sports insurers will cover, just not when the FCO has a travel notice up. If I wasn’t running a Marathon no insurance wouldn’t be that big a deal.

I’m more than happy to run in April 2021... I’m usually on the island a few times a year and I know it’d be a great race - just need them to tell us what is going on? Handled very badly indeed.
not sure i understand this. i assume you're british so if you were running the london marathon, what insurance would you take?

not sure i understand this. i assume you're british so if you were running the london marathon, what insurance would you take?
You wouldn’t need it as healthcare is ‘free’ for Brits in Britain. Obviously it’s not really free as we pay for it within taxes, but it’s free when you need it. So, say an Achilles snapped or there were even more serious problems an ambulance would pick you up. Assume that happened in Ibiza, the current situation would void all healthcare insurance as it’s going against FCO advice. I guess with the European health card, which is still valid for Brits it would be possible to get some care. Would that though be the care you’d want? I assumed the care in Spain is much better in the private system.

no, as i stated previously, the british ehic card is still valid this year in spain, so any eu competitors in the marathon with injuries etc can make their way or be taken to can misses hospital for treatment. the national health system in ibiza is excellent though obviously the private sector with fewer clients has less waiting time. obviously the one advantage that private holiday health insurance gives you is that if you or your lifeless corpse needs repatriating, it's paid for.

no, as i stated previously, the british ehic card is still valid this year in spain, so any eu competitors in the marathon with injuries etc can make their way or be taken to can misses hospital for treatment. the national health system in ibiza is excellent though obviously the private sector with fewer clients has less waiting time. obviously the one advantage that private holiday health insurance gives you is that if you or your lifeless corpse needs repatriating, it's paid for.
So perhaps it’s the repatriation thing then? I always thought Ibiza state healthcare wasn’t great, but I stand corrected on that.

I once had to attend a course as part of my job, it was Dangerous Goods By Air.

Pretty dull and boring course as you can imagine, however there was an interesting bloke on it that was part of a team that repatriated corpses back to the UK.

He had some very interesting stories about how people pop their clogs in various places around the world, brightened up our tea breaks.

It's a shame about this Ibiza Marathon. As I'm getting older I'm getting more into my longer distance running and had actually been thinking about a the Ibiza marathon.

Hopefully it comes back around.

Travel insurance is much more than health care etc. If you have an operation and can’t fly for 2 weeks generally they’ll cover your accommodation, expense etc. If you need special travel / certification to travel they’ll cover that too

We got stuck in Iberia strikes at Barcelona last summer and they were only offering flights 3 days later which was no good with work etc. Luckily travel insurance gave us £250 per person per person for flight cancellation so used that to rebook on a Norwegian flight that was operating which was literally the only option home

Travel insurance is much more than health care etc. If you have an operation and can’t fly for 2 weeks generally they’ll cover your accommodation, expense etc. If you need special travel / certification to travel they’ll cover that too

We got stuck in Iberia strikes at Barcelona last summer and they were only offering flights 3 days later which was no good with work etc. Luckily travel insurance gave us £250 per person per person for flight cancellation so used that to rebook on a Norwegian flight that was operating which was literally the only option home
Exactly this!!! I’ve seen runners get rushed to hospital mid-marathon as they got into trouble. A friend who lives on the island had a stint in hospital a couple of years back and he didn’t have a great experience. If I’m running abroad and get into any trouble and need treatment - which involves an extended stay in hospital I need insurance ‘just in case’ - for me and my husband (accommodation costs, flights etc). Not really planning on leaving as a corpse! It’s just a wise thing to do ‘just in case’ - if I’m running in the uk - it’s a different matter. I’m on home turf.

Anyone had any luck yet getting any information from the organisers? I would like to look at deferring to 2021 but think they should even put that back to October 2021 to make sure it's safe to run the event.

I managed to get a reply after hounding them (As well as the race director) on Twitter, Facebook & via the online contact form on their website. No clarity whatsoever. It’ll be cancelled for sure - all 2020 mountain races have been cancelled as has the San Mateo 10k. They just need to bite the bullet and do it... but they’re still accepting new registrations ?

I’d like to wait until they cancel so I can try and move my flights again. Their response saying they have had issues with their email is BS, they’re ignoring all social posts??? Maybe try the contact form on their website? They say there’ll be an announcement in the next few days but I’m not holding my breath. Shocking lack of communication ??‍♀️

Attachments

• 0AE37EE7-33C6-4A0E-B6BA-22D6711D9327.jpeg
    0AE37EE7-33C6-4A0E-B6BA-22D6711D9327.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
I managed to get a reply after hounding them (As well as the race director) on Twitter, Facebook & via the online contact form on their website. No clarity whatsoever. It’ll be cancelled for sure - all 2020 mountain races have been cancelled as has the San Mateo 10k. They just need to bite the bullet and do it... but they’re still accepting new registrations ?

I’d like to wait until they cancel so I can try and move my flights again. Their response saying they have had issues with their email is BS, they’re ignoring all social posts??? Maybe try the contact form on their website? They say there’ll be an announcement in the next few days but I’m not holding my breath. Shocking lack of communication ??‍♀️
Hola!

I've just heard from a friend who lives on the island that the port has been told by the Balearic government that from 18 September no more international boats are to dock and there will be no international flights from the same date as well? Nothing official yet - just a rumour... Ibiza marathon has said they will be updating this week - with a month to go tomorrow I reckon it's not going ahead? Have you heard anything @stivi?

Hola!

I've just heard from a friend who lives on the island that the port has been told by the Balearic government that from 18 September no more international boats are to dock and there will be no international flights from the same date as well? Nothing official yet - just a rumour... Ibiza marathon has said they will be updating this week - with a month to go tomorrow I reckon it's not going ahead? Have you heard anything @stivi?

personally can't see the event happening but haven't got any official updates.

What a nightmare this all sounds. It’s particularly unfair to mess people about with endurance events as they require a lot of effort, tapering and changes in nutrition as the race day gets closer. Plus of course most people will be flying in and will have loads of other logistics to sort. Hope refunds head people’s way soon.

@Johanna Courtney if you’re UK based there are a few small marathons going ahead in October. Nothing major but still some UKA accredited racing with chipped times.

What a nightmare this all sounds. It’s particularly unfair to mess people about with endurance events as they require a lot of effort, tapering and changes in nutrition as the race day gets closer. Plus of course most people will be flying in and will have loads of other logistics to sort. Hope refunds head people’s way soon.

@Johanna Courtney if you’re UK based there are a few small marathons going ahead in October. Nothing major but still some UKA accredited racing with chipped times.
FINALLY!!!
No communication from the organisers on email or social media but an update to the counter on the website....

The Ibiza marathon will return on Saturday 10 April 2021. I assume my place has been rolled over???
https://www.ibizamarathon.com/
Yes.... I’m looking to run a local trail marathon in Windsor along the river. Or... I might just rest my knees for a bit!

lots and lots of very unhappy people demanding refunds... I just need to try and get Ryanair to refund now... not holding my breath.

FINALLY!!!
No communication from the organisers on email or social media but an update to the counter on the website....

The Ibiza marathon will return on Saturday 10 April 2021. I assume my place has been rolled over???
https://www.ibizamarathon.com/
Yes.... I’m looking to run a local trail marathon in Windsor along the river. Or... I might just rest my knees for a bit!

lots and lots of very unhappy people demanding refunds... I just need to try and get Ryanair to refund now... not holding my breath.
Nice. I’m doing Dorney Lake on 4th. It won’t exactly be the London marathon or Ibiza but it’s still 26.2 miles of fun!

Back