Ibiza in December with a 6 year old

I may be 15 months late with this but I've finally found the headspace to put this together.

Here's how we got on travelling with our 6 year old on 27th December 2019.

Aside from the schlepp to Heathrow from the West Midlands and the stopover in Madrid (Exec Lounge booking essential!) I can honestly say it was quite possibly one of the most laid back and relaxing holidays we've had. Even with the kiddo in tow ;)

We hired a car from Europcar and paid £65 for 4 days. When making the booking, we selected a little Citroen C1, but ended up with an Audi A2 S Line. Sweet! However it got keyed across the boot at some point during the trip and we only noticed as we were rushing to get to the airport so we didn't report it (mistake), and we got charged £300 for repairs on our return. Not great but at least it wasn’t the usual £1000 excess you get threatened with every time you hire a car! I tried claiming through the excess insurance we purchased but because we hadn't reported it we couldn't claim. Lessons learnt.

San Juan
We stayed at Gare du Nord which is supposed to be a boutique hotel, and maybe it is in Summer, however we found it pretty basic. We knew the bar would be closed for winter but, after we'd booked, the owners got in touch to say they wouldn't be offering breakfast either which was a little disappointing (no discount offered either). Our room was plenty big enough for three, with comfy beds, but the 'boutique' lack of a toilet door wasn't popular with the grown-ups 😬

(Don't worry....this isn't one of those reviews where everything is crap...it gets better...honestly!)

We arrived in the evening and had already checked ahead that The Boat House was open in San Vincente for our tea. They had the heaters on, candles lit and the lights were down low – it was the perfect first meal. Grown-ups had tapas and Sienna had Bolognese (a strong start = 10/10) and ice cream. The people next to us bought their little dog with them so he provided the kids entertainment 😆

The locals cafe (San Juan Restaurant?) down the road from our hotel was the only restaurant in San Juan that was open so naturally it became our breakfast spot. You could pick up 2 cafe con leches, tostadas con tomate, a juice manzana and a humungous ensaïmada for around €15. Tasty and cheap...what's not to like? Just sitting and listening to the locals chatter, and trying to translate what they're saying, particularly the old fellas with their morning coffee and brandy chaser...I love it!

The Hippie Market which takes place every Sunday was on whilst we were there. The stalls are dotted in and around the village and sell some really lovely stuff. It was really busy despite it being the middle of winter but it was full of locals rather than tourists which gave it a different but wonderful, laid back vibe.

Salinas
Considering how many times I’ve visited the island, I’ve never made it to Salinas (I know right…???) so I set that right on this trip. It was a grey day with lots of cloud cover over the island, however, out to sea it was still sunny and it gave the day an ethereal, mystical quality – the light was moody and magical which made for a really surreal explore along the beach and over the rocks.

We walked straight into Jockey Club and to one of the best tables in the house, right on the beachfront – can you imagine doing that with no reservation in Summer? The menu was that good that we completely over-ordered for just the two of us but it was all amazing food. Chips and ice cream for the 6 year old 😂

San Antonio
We headed over to our usual base, and had a stroll along the promenade. Sienna enjoyed playing on the various parks that are scattered along the beachfront and we did our bit for the environment by litter picking in front of O-Beach. There was SO MUCH CRAP still buried in the sand :mad:

We had a late lunch at La Cantina which was being refurbed the last time we were there, and they’ve done a really great job. The food and service was great and Sienna ate her 2nd Spag Bol of the holiday ( 7/10 )

We hoped that Pepe’s tapas place on Calle San Mateo might have been open – it always seemed like more of a locals place than a touristy spot but it wasn’t. Gutted! I know lots of people seem to rave about Tapas Ibiza, and I do enjoy the food there, but for me Pepe’s is a proper institution!

There was a Christmas Market, salsa dancing and and a fun fair in the main square which of course went down a storm with the littlest member of the party.

As we headed back to San Juan we were too hungry to go back to the hotel and our last packet of Cheetos, so we decided to take a chance and stopped off at one of the many restaurants that are dotted along the El300. Can Muson de sa Vila looked like a decent place, and the restaurant and staff were lovely. There was a live fire crackling in the corner hearth and it was super cozy. However for the resident veggie (me) and the littlest hobo, the menu was a little limited as it was VERY meaty! Hubby enjoyed his pork chops, and Sienna managed a little bit of my spaghetti with pesto but the meal was saved by the mountain of chocolate ice cream for pudding :p

San Miguel
We had a drive over to San Miguel just to see what was open. The answer was nothing except Restaurant Can Thothom, so we stopped in for a beer and an ice cream. There was a huge family meal going on in the so the atmosphere was loud and jovial. Sienna enjoyed playing with a group of local children even though they didn’t understand each other, and I noted how magical it is that play always seems to bridge the language gap. 😍

Santa Eulària
We spent a day in Santa Eulària, starting with breakfast at Can Cosmi and I got to imagine what the place would have been like when Elliot Paul was a resident (if you haven’t read Life and Death of a Spanish Town yet then I’d recommend getting hold of a copy – it’s an atmospheric account of the people of Santa Eulària during the early days of the Spanish Civil War)

We spent the day playing on the park in one of the squares, and having a dig about and a paddle on the beach. We visited Project Social for tea which was a hit with Sienna as they had awesome french fries and ice cream, and I was happy as they served a great selection of veggie food.

A Mi Manera
We spotted that the lights on as we drove past this place so we dropped in to see if it was open – and it was! This place is beautiful! I can’t wait to head back in summer and explore the gardens which were stunning and are now the inspiration for my current back garden project!

The menu was pretty small as to be expected for that time of year. There wasn’t much on it for Sienna however they offered to do a smaller, off-the-bone portion of their chicken dish which she enjoyed. Any restaurant that is willing to go a little off-menu for a fussy eater is a winner in my book. Cost-wise it was at the high end of our budget but definitely worth it for the atmosphere, the décor and the lovely service team who were super friendly.

As I said at the beginning It was the most relaxing trip we’d ever had to the Island - I think because there was no expectations. I hadn't made a million reservations like I usually do, we didn't really make a plan, we just followed our noses. Covid ruined any plans to return out of season last year but we will definitely visit in winter again. It’s just such a pity that London City is the only place you can fly direct from out of season. I wonder if the after-effects of Covid will influence any change with the powers-that-be…?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for an amazing review!

I didn't realize anything was open in San Vicente for winter.

Winter is absolutely relaxing on Ibiza - because there is nothing you have to do/visit. Hope the weather was at least warm, if not sunny.

I tried claiming through the excess insurance we purchased but because we hadn't reported it we couldn't claim. Lessons learnt.
Hmmm... I had this happen to me once - the car rental company discovered a scratch two days after I returned the car and billed me for it. I used the excess insurance built into my Amex card (actual insurance provided by AXA), and they paid everything with no question asked - despite my "report" filed long after having returned the car merely saying "I don't know when and how that scratch happened". I guess it depends on the insurer.

Have a Look at TUI Cars for example. No surprises. Sunny Cars have the Same.
Had one Case , no Problem.
The Problem is : If you return the Car without a employee of the company ( early flight ) , you can so nothing.

Wow, thanks for an amazing review!

I didn't realize anything was open in San Vicente for winter.

Winter is absolutely relaxing on Ibiza - because there is nothing you have to do/visit. Hope the weather was at least warm, if not sunny.

Hmmm... I had this happen to me once - the car rental company discovered a scratch two days after I returned the car and billed me for it. I used the excess insurance built into my Amex card (actual insurance provided by AXA), and they paid everything with no question asked - despite my "report" filed long after having returned the car merely saying "I don't know when and how that scratch happened". I guess it depends on the insurer.
Yeah I realised i didn't talk about the weather at all except the day at Salinas 😆 It was mostly sunny, and pleasant - a little cool and misty up in San Juan in the mornings but once the sun broke through it was pleasant. You could sit and soak up the sun in a t-shirt if you found a sheltered spot.

Good tip on the car - thanks! I never thought about reporting it after the event! Doh!

Back