IBIZA films

stingray

Another posting below got me thinking about Ibiza and movies. Here's a few to expand the debate:

"F For Fake!"

Directed by Orson Wells no less, about life of master faker Elmyr de Hory, who lived on the island in 1950s and 1960s.

Apparently when Orson Wells arrived in Ibiza to make the film he said "I came to Ibiza in search of a forger and I find myself surrounded by them on all sides."

Too right.

According to Paul Richardson, author of the tremendous book "Not Part of the Package", there was another "dreadful" movie called "The Trouble with Spies" filmed in Ibiza, starring Donald Sutherland. And Paul also mentions one short movie by Peter Finch called "Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Day" - no connection to the Irish pomp rockers.

Don't forget MORE - set in Formentera with Pink Floyd soundtrack, directed by Barbet Schroeder I think.

Is Harry on the Boat has sweet FA to do with Irvine Welsh of course. What a bizzare thought!

The Manumission movie was a shokka apparently, and went straight to video release. I did hear that the "family" losta packet on that project.

stingray said:
Don't forget MORE - set in Formentera with Pink Floyd soundtrack, directed by Barbet Schroeder I think.

MORE take place at ibiza ;) ...some part of the film have been made at the hotel "el corsario"...

u forget "PIRATE" by roman polansky

and how could we forget 'south pacific' which was filmed around the portinatx area and used our very own isla vedra as a stand in for bali hai.

have to dash as i've got to 'wash that man right out of my hair'

(it's the title of a song from the musical - you bet)

dash said:
MORE take place at ibiza ;) ...some part of the film have been made at the hotel "el corsario"
the views from the little terrace of their (excellent ;) ) restaurant are amazing:

126066_400_400_e.jpg

don't you have a copy of my guidebook I-G! It's listed.
HAve to say, though the location/views are brill, the rooms are quite small. resto is overpriced and quite old fashioned menu too, but maybe worth it for a splurge

stingray said:
resto is overpriced
nevermind - she loves overpriced places!! :lol:

thats true - in 2001 a friend invited me to dinner at el corsario and although i didnt pay, i remember that the bill was ridiculously expensive!! :confused:

lovely food though!! :D

IBI_H310_S0150122.JPG

stephen said:
and how could we forget 'south pacific' which was filmed around the portinatx area and used our very own isla vedra as a stand in for bali hai.

have to dash as i've got to 'wash that man right out of my hair'

(it's the title of a song from the musical - you bet)

:eek: Really?

You really do learn something new everyday. :eek:

I'm really not at all sure about the South Pacific-Ibiza myth. I did a websearch a year or so ago and found location info about film and all was in Hawaii. Why the would want/need to fly a vast crew for 20 hours around the world to use Ibiza I don't know.

Cd be another Ibiza tale?

Had a look at the list of movies shot in Ibiza from Stephen's link earlier.

It does include South Pacific but most of the other movies are pretty obscure. There's one called 'People' with Rupert Everett which is in French and due out this year.

There's another recent one from 2002 which I just can't understand how it didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Here's the plot synopsis for "Welcome 2 Ibiza" from IMDB:

This is the story of Lauren, a young woman from America who learns that her Uncle Sam has been missing at sea, and that as a result she has inherited a beach bar in the island of Ibiza, Spain. When she arrives, she meets Angelito, a handsome and young Spanish artist. They go to the bar, only to find it rundown. Depressed, Lauren returns to town where she meets Beth, another young American woman working in a bar, who offers to show her the town, Marilyn, a passionate young dancer who was fired after a altercation with a group of drunk buffoons, and Crazy Larry, a wacky British DJ who also was fired when he accidentally threw up on his boss. Together, they decide to renovate the bar and get business running again. Meanwhile, Beth's ex, Nick has come from the States to try to get back together with her. But romance on the rocks is the least of their worries, when they discover that Angelito's father is being held captive by Cortez, a local gangster. Will Beth and Nick get back together? Will our heroes and heroines save Angelito's dad? And is Uncle Sam really gone?

It sounds almost as good as another movie apparently shot on the island called "My Beautiful Wet Dress."

Back