ibiza 2019 observations

Fiesta and bullshit claiming transmoderna has pretty much failed so far and j balvin got more punters through the door on a tuesday of all days. The comparison doesn‘t make sense but you gotta wonder when more and more underground nights might get exchanged for reggeaton and commercial parties, or at least moved away from the popular nights around weekends.

none of both is a surprise to me. I'll explain, but would like to add first that 'transmoderna failed' is taking it too far. I think I said it here a while ago, dixon's in the sandwich between marco and mladen and it wasn't gonna be an easy thing - also because, as that article says, fridays this year are super tricky with the amount of (similar!) events happening. the club is nicely busy and - also important - tables are being sold (everyone knows it's important for pacha).

j balvin on the other hand...it's the only latin night in pacha and it's also the only latin night on a tuesday on the entire island. why are you surprised it works? people need to understand that apart from the electronic music, there is a market for urban (grime, hip hop etc) for the brits and US crowd - nicely covered by ibiza rocks and swag). and there's a market for latin/reggaeton for the italian and spanish, covered now by various of the clubs that do one night (mucho, balvin etc).

Fiesta and bullshit claiming transmoderna has pretty much failed so far and j balvin got more punters through the door on a tuesday of all days. The comparison doesn‘t make sense but you gotta wonder when more and more underground nights might get exchanged for reggeaton and commercial parties, or at least moved away from the popular nights around weekends.

Im not into Reggaeton at all, but do know JBalvin is big in that genre, so if he's sold well then fair play to him, I can see why a popular act in a popular genre has created a buzz. Evne though its not something i'd go to, i'd rather see clubs booking acts that are new and have a buzz than the same old faces.

Pacha took a risk with old stalwarts Guetta, Sinclar leaving and the Cocoon experiment ending quickly, but at least their lineup has a bit of something for everyone this year.

Im not into Reggaeton at all, but do know JBalvin is big in that genre, so if he's sold well then fair play to him, I can see why a popular act in a popular genre has created a buzz. Evne though its not something i'd go to, i'd rather see clubs booking acts that are new and have a buzz than the same old faces.

Pacha took a risk with old stalwarts Guetta, Sinclar leaving and the Cocoon experiment ending quickly, but at least their lineup has a bit of something for everyone this year.
I agree that Pacha has a pretty strong line-up this year (best on the Island). I mean Carola is better than Guetta on Thursdays, Dixon better than HS82 on Fridays and Solveig way over Sinclair on Saturdays... Plus, to me Claptone is a big addition (best house night this year in Ibiza) and Cocoon not a big lost...

Where is this article? I searched all over their website and couldn't find it.

Reggaeton is huge, but it also has to do with J Balvin basically being a pop act. You can have any pop act in there and it would bigger than Dixon

Edit: I found it NVM

More thoughts- most nights it's just Dixon + 1 guest. This can work, like tonight with Tale of Us or later on with Âme which I'm thinking is an all night B2B affair, but not some others are not as big.

Where are the stacked nights like the opening or Aug 2nd? I get Dixon is great, I've never heard anything less than a 4 outta 5 set, but for me personally Ive managed to get him 4 years running and I just expect more from his nights.

I guess it's not so easy for him afterall! If it's any consolation neither this or VGBDS has public guestlists..not yet anyway

Last edited:
I was wondering how Claptone's night is doing so far? We'll be there July 22th
This^^^
My daughter is going to this night in August. She has pointed out that it’s cheaper than all the other nights this year at Pacha (that’s not her reason for going it just falls nicely with other stuff)

i had no idea who was J Balvin until i get into ibiza spotlight forum ?
young people get more n more lobotomized with that commercial stuff o_O

Don't make the mistake I made and which Noel Gallagher is making and which most rave dinosaurs make and slag off the kids. It never ends well!

I learnt this the hard way. You cannot win because you end up looking like a bully, spoilsport or reactionary arsehole (and your original, probably very valid point gets forgotten). There's no point trying to compete with alien forces particularly when we no longer even inhabit the same interplanetary orbit. The latin thing is completely foreign to me. It is anti-music to my ears. I have no idea what anyone gets out of it. But that probably is the point.

I just think that searching for the ideal party in IBZ is now a majorly complicated task on any given weekend with so many factors to consider. and the more people are squeezed out the harder it gets. I'm not sure that is necessarily the kids' fault though - it ultimately comes down to crude capitalism. The irony is that the more parties there are the less choice there is - a good analogy is the proliferation of digital tv channels which have dumbed everything down since the analogue era - and clubbing is similarly risk-averse so anybody that does stand out from the pack really deserves our support.

Don't make the mistake I made and which Noel Gallagher is making and which most rave dinosaurs make and slag off the kids. It never ends well!

No truer is this, than at IMS when fabric founder Keith Reilly stood-up and made an impassioned speech about the state of clubbing in the UK, and why the industry is on it's knees, with disengaged dance floors, scandalous artist fees and boring music - all thing I agree with.

Then Jaquar - Mixmag's young presenter - stood-up and said something along the lines of "I'm actually proud of our generation, because <something profound about the environment and kids being more sensible re: drugs & alcohol but little to do with Keith's points>"

Guess who got the biggest round of applause?

Last edited:
in fairness he's right that things have improved in many areas - I'm sure many women and gay people wouldn't necessarily want to go back in time... professional festies are probably a lot safer and better run than lawless raves... people are getting to travel to places they would never have dreamed of visiting even 20 years back.. and perhaps in IBZ there is a better balance now between the needs of parties and locals?

but the same time - the rampant greed, the cynicism, fake culture, lack of imagination and americanisation is all wrong imo...

take your picks...

ultimately, the problem is when people get nostalgic and crave familiarity in a scene that is in constant flux - you can't have it both ways

I learnt this the hard way. You cannot win because you end up looking like a bully, spoilsport or reactionary arsehole (and your original, probably very valid point gets forgotten). There's no point trying to compete with alien forces particularly when we no longer even inhabit the same interplanetary orbit. The latin thing is completely foreign to me. It is anti-music to my ears. I have no idea what anyone gets out of it. But that probably is the point.

I just think that searching for the ideal party in IBZ is now a majorly complicated task on any given weekend with so many factors to consider. and the more people are squeezed out the harder it gets. I'm not sure that is necessarily the kids' fault though - it ultimately comes down to crude capitalism. The irony is that the more parties there are the less choice there is - a good analogy is the proliferation of digital tv channels which have dumbed everything down since the analogue era - and clubbing is similarly risk-averse so anybody that does stand out from the pack really deserves our support.

Well put. The fact that J Baldwin will remain unknown to most ppl does fortify the fact that music and youth culture and indeed Ibiza changes faster than most can or want to adapt. Just complaining about the "old times not coming back" will make anyone a tit no matter what, and ultimately play in the bag of closing down clubs.

Clubs will always book who brings more money. Pachas passion for cocoon waned quickly. So yes, I am worried that latin crap will replace more underground events and slots. And I want to fight that, I‘m just not okay with ‚it‘s really popular with the kids, let them have their music‘.
Btw Vidal Rodriguez on Pure Ibiza yesterday slagging off reggeaton as well :)

Clubs will always book who brings more money. Pachas passion for cocoon waned quickly. So yes, I am worried that latin crap will replace more underground events and slots. And I want to fight that, I‘m just not okay with ‚it‘s really popular with the kids, let them have their music‘.
Btw Vidal Rodriguez on Pure Ibiza yesterday slagging off reggeaton as well :)

if there's more of them than there are of you (or me) then you don't have a leg to stand on though - IBZ isn't associated with any particular music anymore and by becoming more like other 'normal' places then it inevitably attracts people who would go to other normal places. in a way this forum is unrepresentative of wider society cos there's a lot of people on here in their 30s/40s who all grew up with similar mindsets but the latin or urban kids aren't coming on the forum - and you have to wonder why?

Back