ibiza 2019 observations

Clubs empty?

My report so far :

Guetta (friday) : Jam pack

Ants (sat.) : Jam pack

Elrow (sat.) : Jam pack

Solomun (sunday) : Jam pack
To be fair, those probably are the 4 busiest parties on the island regardless of anything. I guess the island could be completely empty and those parties would still be busy somehow...

To be fair, those probably are the 4 busiest parties on the island regardless of anything. I guess the island could be completely empty and those parties would still be busy somehow...
As tempting as it is to say Ibiza is on the slide, I think it's always been a bit like this...some nights packed, some dead. Like I said in my observations from June....OB was absolutely packed every time I walked past. People are getting more choosy, and also enjoy the daytimes a bit more...have an actual holiday with a suntan at the end of it! Maybe pick one or two nights and go big....just not every night.

These observations are very interesting though....it makes choosing the right events very important, no-one wants to be stood in an empty room...

For those who cares, here is a report from Claptone @ Pacha :
Funky Room : Completly empty (I mean realy 0 person)
Pachacha : Almost empty
Rooftop Terrasse : Close (that was a big downside)
VIP : less than 50 % full (clearly)
Main room : OK crowded, but not enough to make it a good vibe
Production : nice
Claptone : from 3 to 5 (so a realy short set) musicaly average at best

It is the first season, so they will have to give it time I assume. Very rarely does a night have instant success in Ibiza many seem to forget that). Back in 2013, Solomun wasn't selling out, but the night grew and grew and in Season 7 it is selling out.

Claptone isn't really my thing, but I think there is a space and gap for a night like this. The guests have been quite solid if you are more into House. I hope they make a success of it in the end. I'd have found he'd be quite popular with the holiday making grew as August starts?

Just think, if Ibiza had kept the more underground focus, it could still be as cool as say the likes of Berlin. Ibiza sadly no longer sets the pace and it is mainly 'gimmick' nights or retro nights (I put Glitterbox in with this) that are succeeding. A lot of DJs not seeing the Ibiza thing either these days.

It's sadly a downward spiral. You aint guaranteed a good night in Ibiza when you go these days and it is a lot of money to spent for a dud. Can't honestly see who will be visiting the Ibiza clubs in say 10/15 years.

I agree but the island has to adapt to the next gen coming through... we're being shunted aside. it's harsh and brutal but I've had to adapt too. I now treat my trips as socials rather than musical odysseys - the best way to avoid disappointment

it could in any case never compete with Berlin or the European festies. they're also lucrative but driven more by music people. ibz is driven by money people.

If even RA superstar Dixon can't get IBZ queuing around the block then draw your own conclusions ....

If even RA superstar Dixon can't get IBZ queuing around the block then draw your own conclusions ....

True, but my guess is by September / October this night will be doing much better when more of his crowd are there. From a few reports I have had, it does seem that (and I know you'll hate this) the table service part is doing very well, and that is a big factor if they stick with it.

I think he should just go All Night Long every week next year!

Ibiza has never been cool enough for the RA hipsters though.

I think his popularity is being overestimated. He ruled the RA charts, but that was a while ago and the time has passed. I still enjoy him but don't think he has the same clout as before.

Ibiza needs to stop relying on the old hats and maybe start getting these newer or nichier artists that are on the festival circuit. They only seem to play at Circo Loco tho, but could make a run at other events. For example, is there any reason why I Hate Models isn't playing room 2 of Afterlife?

What about Octa Octa, Floating Points etc.? Are these names too risky? Do ppl even party?!

Ibiza has never been cool enough for the RA hipsters though.

That’s certiny been my experience. In the U.K., the people that are a bit ‘too cool for school’ and will only be seen at obscure parties but with unheard of DJs have always sneered a little bit at Ibiza which realistically has probably never been at the absolute forefront of electronic music. How can it be when it needs to sell out 5k venues week in week out though?

I think his popularity is being overestimated. He ruled the RA charts, but that was a while ago and the time has passed. I still enjoy him but don't think he has the same clout as before.

Ibiza needs to stop relying on the old hats and maybe start getting these newer or nichier artists that are on the festival circuit. They only seem to play at Circo Loco tho, but could make a run at other events. For example, is there any reason why I Hate Models isn't playing room 2 of Afterlife?

What about Octa Octa, Floating Points etc.? Are these names too risky? Do ppl even party?!

none of those niche artists will fill the big clubs. plain and simple

That’s certiny been my experience. In the U.K., the people that are a bit ‘too cool for school’ and will only be seen at obscure parties but with unheard of DJs have always sneered a little bit at Ibiza which realistically has probably never been at the absolute forefront of electronic music. How can it be when it needs to sell out 5k venues week in week out though?
In one. Hence all the sheep all over Harvey at Pikes

I don't think anyone wants to sneer at IBZ. It's sadness really at what was lost. And you can't help but be snobby about certain things... I get accused of snobbery on here a lot. Fair enough, it's often justified but then the same people will themselves be sneering at hilton or guetta or vip in another thread, so it's all relative.

Btw I don't think harvey's real fans are sheep. I often see his sets get slaughtered on fb. People still care though cos the underground balearic thing is a family/community and he genuinely plays stuff you've never heard & cares about his audience.

Fwiw I think the old RA DJ charts were a big mistake and helped fuel dj egos but i think they are genuinely passionate about music with great mixes, listings, reviews and debates. RA are not the enemy imo

Back