*** Ibiza 2017 observations ***

PDB felt like it'd been 'cleaned up' to me. Not as many street hustlers/dealers etc as last year

Yes maybe... They usually hangout outside Ushuaia but I didn't notice em this time hmm.

Oh...there's now a 7:15 AM bus from PDB to San Antonio!! Last year it ended at 645 for some weird reason

Just got back and while it was another good week, there are sadly a few things that have been mentioned before on here giving cause for concern for the future. This was our first time staying in Bossa though after several years in San An, so some observations may be specific to changing resort.

Firstly the Ticket Sellers have cranked the pressure selling up in Bossa. You can't go more than 2 mins on the beach without being approached by someone, in previous years if you replied with something like 'thanks, but we're already sorted for tonight' they would say 'ok, have a good night' and be on their way. The ones now are that desperate they stand over your sunbed/towel or follow you half the length of the main street, and just don't take no for an answer! Throw in a few offers from the lucky-luckies, massage sellers, dealers etc and a hangover curing trip to the beach just becomes annoying. There just seems to be too many ticket sellers and ticket shops for the demand.

On the VIP issue, I have never found the 'true' VIP's an issue, and that was the same this time. They are usually on a different floor of the club, on a different budget, social circle & orbit to us normal folk so it just doesn't bother me. I didn't even find Hi's much discussed new layout of having VIP booths surrounding the room an issue, as you don't cross paths with them anyway.

The problem with Ibiza now for me is the 'pseudo' VIP, the people who think they are rich and famous but really aren't all that. This demand has led to average/middle of the road type bars trying to pretend to be something they are not. Bossa was particularly bad for it, bland bars on the main road offering no DJ, heritage, sea-view or anything that usually commands premium pricing but charging expensive prices and staff acting like they had a job on Pacha's VIP floor. I never thought i'd miss some of the trashier bars on the West-End but I did! at least those bars know their role is to offer cheap drinks and loud songs and the staff have a laugh with it.

The knock-on effect of the above is the rise in prices, the big clubs have always been expensive and in fairness the prices there don't seem to have moved much in the years we have been going. Its the bars & supermarkets that seem to have shot up making it a very expensive place now, and I hope the island doesn't start losing more younger clubbers as a result. It's harder now to even eat cheap, pre-drink in the room, find cheaper bars etc and still save. You are getting clobbered whatever you do now. Brexit and the exchange rate of course isn't helping, but that isn't Ibiza's fault.

The lack of new music and new DJ's is a worry. We are probably more in to the commercial house and EDM side of things than most posters on here but this is the first Ibiza trip I can remember where there hasn't been one big tune that you remember the year for. A lot of the House/EDM DJ's were relying on big room songs from 3-5 years ago, Avicii and Swedish House Mafia won't need to make a live comeback with the royalties they are still raking in!

There also seems to be a gap of big House/EDM headliners coming through, only Kygo has stepped up from occasional headliner to full time residency this year while the likes of Guetta, Armin, Bob Sinclar, Fatboy Slim etc grow ever older. Some of those are still putting on a good show but there doesn't seem to be the buzz of the next big thing breaking through at the moment in the commercial side of dance at least.

On a more positive note the bars in Ibiza Town seem to have escaped this fake VIP nonsense (despite having the most VIP credentials with the yachts & the scenery!) and we had a great chilled out night outside Dalt Vila and on the harbour side, with drinks at reasonable prices and little hassle.

All in all it's still a fantastic place to go, but if people like our group with decent jobs, few commitments and several Ibiza trips under our belts are starting to worry about the cost you do have to be concerned where the island is heading. The island needs fresh batches of younger clubbers each summer to stay fresh, but I struggle to see how anyone young on low-pay can go to Ibiza and have even a decent time now.

All in all it's still a fantastic place to go, but if people like our group with decent jobs, few commitments and several Ibiza trips under our belts are starting to worry about the cost you do have to be concerned where the island is heading. The island needs fresh batches of younger clubbers each summer to stay fresh, but I struggle to see how anyone young on low-pay can go to Ibiza and have even a decent time now.

Well they certainly won't if they stay in PDB - but that'll be out of their price bracket when they booked their hotel in any case, PDB hotels are unbelievably overpriced.

PDB bars always were on average a bit more than San Antoni - there's still plenty of cheap enough booze in San Antoni and away from Matutesland in Figueretas etc. The disco bus costs pennies and Lidl / Wips still no doubt doing a roaring trade. It's in the 'middle' between "young on low-pay" and "saved thousands for a splurge" where people are feeling the pinch - and that goes for all the beach clubs etc. too. There's a simple answer to it all - steer clear of the glitz and glam and not that much has really changed on last year !

This demand has led to average/middle of the road type bars trying to pretend to be something they are not
the bars in Ibiza Town seem to have escaped this fake VIP nonsense (despite having the most VIP credentials with the yachts & the scenery!)
sadly some of the bars on the harbour front/calle garijo followed that route too: roped areas, staff acting like they had a job on pacha's VIP floor (as you put it) and exorbitant prices because they think the rich people from the yachts will go there for a drink (instead of lio, heart, etc)... no worder they say they're having a bad season!

I have too say this year we thought the prices had gone through the roof. As said clubs and certain bars in certain area's have always been expensive and we are always prepared for that but the expense has spread.

26 euro's for 2 mojitos at sa trinxa raised an eyebrow. 12 euro's a mojito at piratabus in formentera raised the other eyebrow. That's near enough club prices There is a cheaper option i know but we dont go to avoid the places we love because they are now too expensive. Whats the point in going other wise.

The highlight of our trip was a boat we hired for my birthday. The skipper was from the mainland and while chatting he explained how everything was getting out of control. That bad that the guy had to spend his season living in a camper van. Now i would of thought a skipper for nautical ibiza was a very decent seasonal position. Seems not anymore.

the guy had to spend his season living in a camper van
a camper van is not that bad compared with the people that have to sleep all summer long inside a car... there's a thread called "ibiza, where's your essence?" if you feel like reading about it!

Formentera is exorbotant in August peak Season, but that Season seems to be starting earlier and finishing later too. Last year certain 'authentic' fish restaurants in Formentera would likely set you back about 120 Euros a head for lunch with a bottle of wine and always packed. It's in some ways more expensive than most of Ibiza and I don't think that's all new.

Any beach bar with sunbeds or one with music now realizes that 15-20 Euros for a cocktail and 10-12 for a mixer is par for the course and even 3-5 years ago you were paying that at Nassau, Cotton and the rest. It's just that some fancier smaller bars have jumped on the beach club bandwagon - because they can. However, I still paid a euro fifty for a bottle of water and 15 Euros for a whole baked sea bass finished on the bar-b-q at Cala Gracio in the little restaurant there. And a jug of sangria on plastic chairs instead of white-sheeted sunbeds would no doubt still be very affordable. Far better value than the attempt at a blended non-alcoholic fresh fruit drink thrown together by Mr X. with a Liverpudlian accent serving at the Cala Gracionetta Chiringuito for 7,50 Euros round the corner :rolleyes: !

The highlight of our trip was a boat we hired for my birthday. The skipper was from the mainland and while chatting he explained how everything was getting out of control. That bad that the guy had to spend his season living in a camper van. Now i would of thought a skipper for nautical ibiza was a very decent seasonal position. Seems not anymore.

They rely on tips and it's etiquette to leave a skipper a decent one - I usually tip skippers about 75-100 Euros depending on the size of the boat, but lately have been skippering my own boats as the costs just keep soaring and pricing me out without sharing the cost around, especially with the weak £. But I bet the groups of stags, hens and party animals who keep those boats on the water in the Summer don't have a whip round for the skipper's tip at the end of the hire - unless they are American perhaps ! Even a top chef can't afford to rent an Apartment in Ibiza now - but that's more to do with the explosion of Air B&B etc. which has made it way too easy for people to cash in on holiday lets.

Where did you go with the boat btw ? Best ever way to spend a day out in Ibiza :twisted:

Formentera is exorbotant in August peak Season, but that Season seems to be starting earlier and finishing later too. Last year certain 'authentic' fish restaurants in Formentera would likely set you back about 120 Euros a head for lunch with a bottle of wine and always packed. It's in some ways more expensive than most of Ibiza and I don't think that's all new.

Any beach bar with sunbeds or one with music now realizes that 15-20 Euros for a cocktail and 10-12 for a mixer is par for the course and even 3-5 years ago you were paying that at Nassau, Cotton and the rest. It's just that some fancier smaller bars have jumped on the beach club bandwagon - because they can. However, I still paid a euro fifty for a bottle of water and 15 Euros for a whole baked sea bass finished on the bar-b-q at Cala Gracio in the little restaurant there. And a jug of sangria on plastic chairs instead of white-sheeted sunbeds would no doubt still be very affordable. Far better value than the attempt at a blended non-alcoholic fresh fruit drink thrown together by Mr X. with a Liverpudlian accent serving at the Cala Gracionetta Chiringuito for 7,50 Euros round the corner :rolleyes: !

They rely on tips and it's etiquette to leave a skipper a decent one - I usually tip skippers about 75-100 Euros depending on the size of the boat, but lately have been skippering my own boats as the costs just keep soaring and pricing me out without sharing the cost around, especially with the weak £. But I bet the groups of stags, hens and party animals who keep those boats on the water in the Summer don't have a whip round for the skipper's tip at the end of the hire - unless they are American perhaps ! Even a top chef can't afford to rent an Apartment in Ibiza now - but that's more to do with the explosion of Air B&B etc. which has made it way too easy for people to cash in on holiday lets.

Where did you go with the boat btw ? Best ever way to spend a day out in Ibiza :twisted:

Well i have always wanted too get up close to Es Vedra so that was the first stop. The compass does actually go berzerk when you turn the corner. Pretty spectacular up close and some fantastic markings, quite eerie infact.

Next stop was atlantis then onto cala Vadela then onto Cala Tarida for snorkelling and taking in some of the hidden caves along the way.

Finally off back to San An for the sunset where took us out to where the sun clips the edge of one the small islands. Sunset was perfect so lucky there. We gave the skipper 50 euros, he seemed happy with that and he really looked after us.

Well i have always wanted too get up close to Es Vedra so that was the first stop. The compass does actually go berzerk when you turn the corner. Pretty spectacular up close and some fantastic markings, quite eerie infact.

Next stop was atlantis then onto cala Vadela then onto Cala Tarida for snorkelling and taking in some of the hidden caves along the way.

Finally off back to San An for the sunset where took us out to where the sun clips the edge of one the small islands. Sunset was perfect so lucky there. We gave the skipper 50 euros, he seemed happy with that and he really looked after us.
What was the cost of everything involved and how did you hire it? Sounds bliss

Last week space on Wednesday, 200 max
Went to glitterbox Friday half full
Defected had a good 1800 on Friday
This weekend doing
Hi Friday
Elrow Saturday
And together on Tuesday
I'll keep you posted

Fantastic, and good on you for tipping the skipper :cool:.

That's some bill - no doubt a lovely vessel for a special occasion :twisted:.

Back