Ibiza 2008: A first timers opinion

Nice review!

I stayed in the Bellamar about 2 years ago....I really liked that area as it was far away enough from San An for me but not too far.......the walk was pleasant too!

Try and explore Ibiza Town from top to bottom and I would be suprised if you still thought San An 'edged it'.

Ibiza town is the real deal - it's got the charm, the history, the architecture, the vistas, the sophistication and a great night life to boot. San An could NEVER "edge it" - no way, Josep!

That would be like saying that Milton Keynes was as good as Brighton for culture, history and architecture. Could anyone ever say that - no, I didn't think so!

LttP

Ibiza town is the real deal - it's got the charm, the history, the architecture, the vistas, the sophistication and a great night life to boot. San An could NEVER "edge it" - no way, Josep!

That would be like saying that Milton Keynes was as good as Brighton for culture, history and architecture. Could anyone ever say that - no, I didn't think so!

LttP

Indeed.

My first experience of Ibiza Town is one of my most treasured memories. Thinking about it now makes me feel kinda strange (in a nice way). Ibiza Town is one of, if not the most, of my favourite places in the world.

Sorry to hijack the thread but you get the idea, Ibiza Twon needs more exploring on your next visit. Start right from the top from the castle (ideally approached from the Southern side) around 9 or 10pm for a mind blowing experience.

Cool to hear you are returning, esp after thinking it wouldnt be for a while !! What happened to mount Kili :lol: :?:

Alright guys!

Well anyway, 12 hours ago I just booked myself (and a friend), for a 10 day Ibizian extavaganza! Coming over from 30th Aug - 9th Sept.

I don't think I've ever been so happy to get a holiday booked (and I've been on a few good ones!). I'm literally bursting with anticipation and excitement.

grego: We're going back to the Blue Marlin, but guess what day we're going????? Sunday!

I'm there for the weekend of the 29th, 2 nights only i'm afraid :x See ya in space !! ;)

As for Blu Marlin, if you're worried about it clashing with your Space evening/night, then why not go on a thursday, Goldfish play live on a thursday, and i was mightily impressed 8) ;)

Formentara: Going to head over for a day. Plan is to explore some of the villages then head out to Platja de Migjorn. Have read that there is a ferry service from San Antonio, but the only large ship I remember seeing was the catamaran to the mainland. Anyone got any info on the San An - Formentara ferry? Also, how's the bus services on Formentara?

Space: Going to Space on the 1st Sept. After their cracking down on daytime opening etc, does Space now just follow normal club opening times (Midnight-7am), or does it open earlier?

I'd rent a bike on formentera, either moped or bicycle (it really is that easy to get around), and if you want to see/chill at a beautiful beach, I really love Illetes, IMO it compares to Mauritius/maldives !! 8)

As for Space, I'de get there around 19.30-20.00 so you can do some dancing while its still sunlight, the Suinset terrace will be getting busy by then, and if you're worried about Missing BluMarlin, see above ;) See ya there !!

... and I'm getting married in Ibiza too! :p

Who's the unlucky Chap/Woman :?: ;) ( I got married there 3 years ago)

I haven't written up our holiday review yet - I suppose the main thing would be that we got ill and had to come home - bring on the violins!

However, by way of illustrating the emotion involved, especially as it applies to Ibiza town, I can say this ...

Last Monday afternoon, after we'd taken the difficult decision to go home, after the flights had been rebooked and all the hotel dates had been cancelled, I found myself standing on Vara Del Rey. As we walked down this tree-lined main street of Eivissa, I found myself crying uncontrollably even as a beggar tried to intimidate us into giving her cigarettes or money (I don't know which - my ibicenco isn't that good!) I could see the harbour in front of us, and all the cafes between us and the water, and I felt totally heartbroken. We were going home and the holiday hadn't even started yet. Here I was in Eivissa - one of my favourite places in the whole world, and I was just about to go home without even experiencing it properly this time around.

The only thing that stopped me from collapsing on the pavement and dissolving into a pool of my own tears was the faint hope that we might come back in September. Otherwise I might have cried myself into liquid form, then quietly slithered down a storm drain to become one with the mediterranean sea and remain in Ibiza forever.

In the event, I managed to retain human form and got myself to the airport, despite my broken heart.

For me, Eivissa elicits those kinds of emotions. I can't imagine San An ever being or feeling so romantic.

LttP

got to throw my vote in for Ibiza Town! Although San an was nothingas bad as i expected and had some nice parts, Ibiza Town is just amazing...such a beautiful, relaxed little town with a great feel to it!

LttP

Comparing Ibiza Town and San An is like comparing chalk and cheese. I like the tapas bars, the architecture, etc in Ibiza Town but prefer San An for sunsets (obviously) and drinking.

Alright guys, apologies for not replying to your replies! I've been over in France on holiday (funny/bizarre story about that at the end of the post).

Anyway, I seen to have unintentionally started a bit of a San An Vs. Ibiza Town debate. That wasn't what I wanted to incite, I was merely pointing out my preference based on my (limited) experience.

Fair enough, I suspect that my opinion may be revised with this years visit, but I still insist that as a place to stay, I think I prefer San An!

Ibiza Town is undoubtably a much more attractive/cultural/cosmopolitan/romantic setting than San An will ever be, and for a 'complete' day/night out would always beat San An hands down.

But, consider this; Barcelona and Paris are 2 of the most romantic/cosmopolitan etc. cities in the world, but for a summer holiday, I'd much rather go to Benidorm or Nice!

I just feel that for a place to base myself for a summer Ibizan holiday, I'd rather go for San An. But like I say, that's just my opinion!

Anyway:

Never read this review last year for some reason. It's a great read with excellent photo's. I have quoted the above as it is almost identical to my situation, was into the dance scene since 1989 never visited Ibiza until 2001!

Jeez, I was only 12 in 1989, was dance music even happening then:oops:? Thanks for the compiments, glad to hear that I'm not the only one to have left it late!

Re: Formentera

Not sure what villages you want to visit - i wouldn't bother myself - they'll only be full of italians anyways. The main town is pretty forgettable - cute, I s'pose, but won't top anything you see on Ibiza.

I only really mentioned visiting the villages to make it sound like I was heading over there for some sort of cultural experience. But to be honest, we'd only be going over for the bars and beaches8). Thanks for the advice on the beaches, I'll definitely take it on board (as I don't have a clue about the place!).

Yep, point well made. Although, like I said above, when going on a summer 'beach' holiday, I'm not really looking for culture, history or architecture. I'm looking for beaches, watersports and sunsets. The good thing about San An is that you get all that, but with the culture etc. only 20 mins away!

Cool to hear you are returning, esp after thinking it wouldnt be for a while !! What happened to mount Kili :lol: :?:

I'm there for the weekend of the 29th, 2 nights only i'm afraid :x See ya in space !! ;)

I'd rent a bike on formentera, either moped or bicycle (it really is that easy to get around),

Mount Kili's a long story, but basically, it was priced in US$, and with the pound taking a dive, suddenly became extremely expensive. What was originally a £1800 trip became a £2600 trip, which was too much to justify. Hopefully next year if things recover:confused:

So yeh, I'll look out for you in Space! Do you have any obvious features that make you stand out from the crowd, apart from dancing like a loon (probably):D?

I think renting a bike is the way to go, although is there any laws about drunk cycling (there is in Scotland)? I'm not planning on getting steamin', but we'll definitely be having a few drinks!

Comparing Ibiza Town and San An is like comparing chalk and cheese. I like the tapas bars, the architecture, etc in Ibiza Town but prefer San An for sunsets (obviously) and drinking.

My point exactly!

So anyway, my funny/bizarre French story:

Friday, was on the Eurostar from Paris to London (1st class, decided to splash out), and I ended up sitting across from Mickey Rourke, his minder, and his agent. It turned out he was heading over to do the Alan Carr show, but his agent never knew anything about Alan Carr. Mickey was a bit p:!::!:sed off about this, and after 10 mins, his agent turned to me and asked if I was British, and if I knew anything about Alan Carr.

I'd literally only said about 5 words when Mickey turned round and asked if I was Scottish. When I said I was, he started going on about Edinburgh, whisky and Braveheart, and after 5 mins of this, asked if I wanted to join them at their table!!!

Obviously, I said yes! So I ended up sitting next to Mickey Rourke for over an hour talking about all kinds of sh:!:t, and having a really good laugh! Totally ridiculous, talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Anyway, I got a photo, but I can't work out how to put it on here, so I've put it on Flickr instead: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/3736634461/

(yes, I know I'm wearing the same t-shirt I wore to Pacha last year, but that's just coincidence, I do have other clothes8))

2008 Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3045435...7607269278221/
2009: 42 days to go, ya dancer!

...So anyway, my funny/bizarre French story:

Friday, was on the Eurostar from Paris to London (1st class, decided to splash out), and I ended up sitting across from Mickey Rourke, his minder, and his agent. It turned out he was heading over to do the Alan Carr show, but his agent never knew anything about Alan Carr. Mickey was a bit p:!::!:sed off about this, and after 10 mins, his agent turned to me and asked if I was British, and if I knew anything about Alan Carr.

I'd literally only said about 5 words when Mickey turned round and asked if I was Scottish. When I said I was, he started going on about Edinburgh, whisky and Braveheart, and after 5 mins of this, asked if I wanted to join them at their table!!!

Obviously, I said yes! So I ended up sitting next to Mickey Rourke for over an hour talking about all kinds of sh:!:t, and having a really good laugh! Totally ridiculous, talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Anyway, I got a photo, but I can't work out how to put it on here, so I've put it on Flickr instead: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/3736634461/

haha - that story is unbelievable and amazing ... one of the best ever on spotlight !

33djdpl.jpg

2w3q3o7.gif
14x164p.gif

In defence of the T-shirt!!

It's always difficult when one is so far ahead of one's time that they're not fully appreciated, especially in the world of fashion.

In fact, I feel the true pioneers will not be fully appreciated until they have gone to the great fashion boutique in the sky. Not, I hasten to add, that I put myself in that category, but I'm certainly under-appreciated, as I'm sure Hauskitten will (hopefully) testify;)

Alternatively:

Getting dressed in torch-light, in a tent at 5am in the middle of France, the last thing on a persons mind is the possibility of getting photographed with Mickey Rourke:eek:! Hence the unshaven, bedraggled and slighly bleary-eyed look, which I'm sure does the t-shirt absolutely no justice whatsoever. It could be argued that the t-shirt deserves better

I rest my case :lol::lol:

Nice review and great photos!:D
Really funny that you bumped into Mickey.. It's the kind of story you only hear about, but is so surreal until it happens to you or someone you know!
Hope you'll have a great time when you return to la isla magica ;)

Back