Ibiza 2008: A first timers opinion

More and more of my friends are getting married and/or having kids and can't really afford holidays with mates, which is a scary situation.

Tell me about it! Any trips we try and take with the majority of our friends have to be organised with travel cots and feeding times in mind and it's a reet pain in the arse!

Luckily we've still got a hardcore group of friends who we can still get it lit with, without having to worry if the hotel has a kids club!

Great review by the way - you really summed up how I feel about the place 8)

Hiya guys.

Cheers again for all the positive feedback. I'm glad the review and photos seem to have went down well!

Aye, fair play, I remember it well! I was actually thinking about that as I was getting barged, pushed and generally insulted by sweaty a:x:xeholes in tuxedos. Still, we had a great day and meal so it wasn't a complete disaster.
The problem with the Sunday was that we had pre-booked tickets to Pacha. I suppose we could have done the Blue Marlin before Pacha, but we wanted to go out in Ibiza Town for a meal etc.
Just another case of not being able to squeeze everything into one week!

Just thinking, as much as I'm having a rant about this wedding, if I ever do get married (reasonably unlikely), the Blue Marlin would be quite a good place to have it. The difference being that I'd just tell everyone to wear shorts. Can't really have a bunch of Scottish people kicking about in 35 degree heat wearing suits/tuxedos/full highland dress. They'd still be finding heatstroke casualties the following month8)

If you go again and are there on a Tuesday check out Armin Van Buuren's night, Armada. Unfortunately he wasn't playing the week we were there so I gave it a miss this year but it's loads cheaper than Cream, usually better music and not as crowded.

Aye, we had a look at that night as well. I'm a big fan of Armin Van Buuren, but PVD edged it (ironically, as he never turned up). I suppose we could have went to both, but we were flying out early on Wednesday morning and I didn't really want to go down that road. Even if we had've made the flight, packing would have been a disaster, and I'd have left at least one thing behind!

Just thinking, as much as I'm having a rant about this wedding, if I ever do get married (reasonably unlikely), the Blue Marlin would be quite a good place to have it. The difference being that I'd just tell everyone to wear shorts. Can't really have a bunch of Scottish people kicking about in 35 degree heat wearing suits/tuxedos/full highland dress. They'd still be finding heatstroke casualties the following month8)
:lol::lol::lol:

great review.....

Alright guys!

I originally started this thread with a review of my 2008 holiday but went on to say about how there was unfortunately no way that I would be able to make it over for a holiday in 2009.

So many different factors and issues were all coming together that would make a 2009 holiday to Ibiza absolutely impossible. It was just completely out of the question.

Well anyway, 12 hours ago I just booked myself (and a friend), for a 10 day Ibizian extavaganza! Coming over from 30th Aug - 9th Sept.

Ya complete and utter absolute dancer!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever been so happy to get a holiday booked (and I've been on a few good ones!). I'm literally bursting with anticipation and excitement.

The good news is that I've learned quite a few lessons from last year, and also from the replies to this thread. I'm not quite as wet behind the ears as I was 12 months ago!

neilly303: I've taken you're advice, and we're going out the night before we fly back (Amnesia). I'll be packing my suitcase well in advance!
Also, we're going to Space. Carl Cox, Sasha, John Digweed and Adam Freeland. Totally awesome line-up!

grego: We're going back to the Blue Marlin, but guess what day we're going????? Sunday!

Scottish-Helen: After hearing so many good reviews, Armada @ Amnesia is one of my must-do's, so it's happening (the night before we come home!). The fact it's now 'merged' with Roger Sanchez' night is even better (Sanchez was DJ-ing at my first ever 'proper' clubbing night out; 17 years old, Cream @ The Tunnel, Glasgow! So, I've got a bit of a soft spot for him!!).
And also, we're planning on heading over to Formentara for a day.

HDR: The Zoo Project is definitely happening, going to the closing party!!

So anyway, I'm still actually in some sort of denial about how well this has turned out! I can't believe I'm going to be in Space when Sasha and Digweed are DJ-ing.
I can't believe I'm going to be there for the Zoo Project and Ibiza Rocks closing parties. I certainly can't believe I managed to persuade my pal to come for 10 days which means I'll be there for 2 Mon's and Tue's (which means I'll make Swedish House Mafia @ Pacha, and Tiesto, as well as Armada and Carl Cox).

I think someone's going to have to slap me and wake me up!

Steven

So, after the last message, just a few wee bits and bobs!

First of all, a gigantic pat on the back to whoever put together the clubbing calendar, must have been a lot of work! Makes organising nights out so much easier, and certainly better than trawling through slow, overly-complicated websites looking for listing's (Space, Pacha!!).

A few questions!

Formentara: Going to head over for a day. Plan is to explore some of the villages then head out to Platja de Migjorn. Have read that there is a ferry service from San Antonio, but the only large ship I remember seeing was the catamaran to the mainland. Anyone got any info on the San An - Formentara ferry? Also, how's the bus services on Formentara?

Space: Going to Space on the 1st Sept. After their cracking down on daytime opening etc, does Space now just follow normal club opening times (Midnight-7am), or does it open earlier?

Spent an absolute fortune on taxis last year getting up to Privilege/Amnesia and back. Heard about this DiscoBus thing, but I think I might have seen it. Basically looked like a major road traffic accident waiting to happen, with people totally squashed in and hanging out the windows like canned sardines. Would it probably be better just paying for a taxi? Also, what about the buses that go from the pre-club parties (ie the bus that goes from Kanya - Tiesto @ Privilege)?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Steven

2008: www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/sets/72157607269278221/
2009: Watch this space!!!!

Space opens at 4 I think now and apparently it doesn't kick off for a while but I guess that depends on what you like! I was there at 4 prompt last year and there were about 40 other people there and more were coming in slowly but we were still dancing and having a good time! Personally I have to be there the second it opens coz I want my moneys worth! I,m leaving the day before you get there this year so we won't be bumping into each other lol.. Good thread though had a look at your pics , thats something I want to do this year get loads of really good pics for a change I have a lot of me gurning which I may put in my album hehe ... and I'm getting married in Ibiza too! :p

Also I caught a bus from PDB to Meganite at Privilege a couple of years back we went quite early so it wasn't too squashed, obviously the clubs aren't so full that early but it beats being a sardine on a bus!

neilly303: I've taken you're advice, and we're going out the night before we fly back (Amnesia). I'll be packing my suitcase well in advance!
Also, we're going to Space. Carl Cox, Sasha, John Digweed and Adam Freeland. Totally awesome line-up!

You can't really ask for much more than that in a lineup! I haven't been to Carl Cox @ Space since '06 but i'm definitely going this year. (Green Velvet and Plump DJs are also on the lineup)

This year it's 25 Euros before midnight so I'm opting for that ticket.

This year it's 25 Euros before midnight so I'm opting for that ticket.[/QUOTE]

defo b headin in b4 midnight then,

remember back in 05 first 200 got in 4 free, the same week we got into the viva/fundacion night for gratis, so a good week :)

first night we hit it up this year got coxy, sasha and inner city playin live, cant wait !!!

nice review from last year...glad you're making it back in 09.
the disco bus gets packed but it's way cheaper than taxes, the bus actually drives a bit safer also since the drivers not in a rush to pick up his next tab.
besides you'll prob. have to taxi it home the next morning anyways.

I,m leaving the day before you get there this year so we won't be bumping into each other lol.. Good thread though had a look at your pics , thats something I want to do this year get loads of really good pics for a change I have a lot of me gurning which I may put in my album hehe ... and I'm getting married in Ibiza too!

Ach well, that's a pity you're leaving the day before we arrive. The more the merrier and all that!

So yeh, I always try and get good photo's. I tend to work on the principle that I might never be there again in my life, it tends to focus the mind into making the most of it! I've got quite a few shady shots of myself cutting some shapes, but I don't think they'll ever see the light of day. I'm not the most photogenic anyway, but the sight of me at 4am in the middle of Amnesia's dancefloor would be a truly lens-cracking experience. Not pretty!!

That's nice to hear you're getting married in Ibiza, where about? I'm sure it'd be a really nice experience, just as long as you don't take over the Blue Marlin with a bunch of Tuxedo wearing f:evil::evil:ks! 8)8)8)

You can't really ask for much more than that in a lineup! I haven't been to Carl Cox @ Space since '06 but i'm definitely going this year. (Green Velvet and Plump DJs are also on the lineup)

Aye, you're right there! I've had so many good nights with Sasha and Digweed, usually at the Arches (Glasgow) on Boxing Day! They're pretty much the 2 DJ's that got me into dance music after I went out and bought Northern Exposure, then the original Renaissance mix. Dancing about my room to these cd's eventually gave me the courage to head out to the 'big city' and go to a proper nightclub (Roger Sanchez @ The Tunnel). Nowadays (as a 32 year old), that sounds ridiculous, but the world's such a different place when you're only 17!

Not really heard much of Adam Freeland right enough, but I've heard a few of his remixes, and also some of his collaborations (mainly with BT). Seems to be quite breakbeat orientated, which is a good thing!!

nice review from last year...glad you're making it back in 09.
the disco bus gets packed but it's way cheaper than taxes, the bus actually drives a bit safer also since the drivers not in a rush to pick up his next tab.
besides you'll prob. have to taxi it home the next morning anyways.

To be honest, I think we'll be looking at getting the DiscoBus both ways! Spent an absolute fortune last year on taxis, a lot of them being stupid journeys that could have been done by bus!

If pushed though, I'd probably rather get a bus out to the club, then get a taxi back. I don't mind arsing about on the way out, but after I come out the club, I just want to get to my bed!

Cheers guys!

2008 Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3045435...7607269278221/
2009: 68 days to go, ya dancer!

To be honest, I think we'll be looking at getting the DiscoBus both ways! Spent an absolute fortune last year on taxis, a lot of them being stupid journeys that could have been done by bus!

If pushed though, I'd probably rather get a bus out to the club, then get a taxi back. I don't mind arsing about on the way out, but after I come out the club, I just want to get to my bed!

Yeah my thinking is get to a bed or a quiet sunrise once you get out and start recovering for the next round, unless you're heading to an after party somewhere.

Sounds like Hotel Hawaii was good for you last year, if I remember your writing.
We're staying there the last few days of our trip Sept. 17/18-25. First few days are at Garbi.

Hiya

I'm kind of in a weird situation the now. I'm glad I went this year and eventually expeienced it, but I'm also really annoyed that I've waited until I was 31 before doing so! Thing is, I've been into clubbing and dance music for 14 years so I don't actually know why it's taken so long. I feel like a bit of an idiot now to be honest.

Never read this review last year for some reason. It's a great read with excellent photo's. I have quoted the above as it is almost identical to my situation, was into the dance scene since 1989 never visited Ibiza until 2001!

The photo tips were useful, I will try the thirds thingy later today :)

A trip this year for you, well done m8, where there's a will there's a way :) Try and explore Ibiza Town from top to bottom and I would be suprised if you still thought San An 'edged it'.

Have a good one.

Re: Formentera

We spent 3 days there. Decided to hire a car to make the most of it. Don't remember seeing any buses - so I wouldn't bet on that as a good way of getting around.

We stayed on Platja De Migjorn - but it's not the best beach - it's quite rocky in parts. What is good though is the Blue Bar, which is down a few sandy dirt roads and has celebrities etc. The best beach is actually the one at the top end of the island on the thin peninsula - one side is very calm, and much like an Ibizan beach; the other side is completely wild with quite fierce surf. On the calm side you can watch the sunsetting over Es Vedra.

Or, for a full on sunset - go to Cala Soana.

The sea is a beautiful colour at most of the beaches, so you won't be disappointed from that point of view.

Not sure what villages you want to visit - i wouldn't bother myself - they'll only be full of italians anyways. The main town is pretty forgettable - cute, I s'pose, but won't top anything you see on Ibiza. The best place to go is probably at the eastern end of the island where you go up a hill and can watch the sunset across the whole of Formentera and Ibiza whilst you have dinner.

Enjoy!

LttP

Back