I Voted!!!

Morbyd

Just finished filling out my absentee ballot, which was so kindly provided by the grand state of Florida :D

Quite difficult, actually... all these little races for county commissioner or circuit court judge or whatever. As a conscientious voter, I had to get on the Google and figure out what the hell these people stand for :lol:

Only one race really matters to me, of course... you know, THAT one... the one that could change the course of the whole country and, heck, maybe the world :!: I'm actually a bit emotional... living overseas and seeing the world view of our country nosedive over the past 8 years, I feel more invested in this election than ever.

Obama/Biden marked. I will now attempt to set a Guinness World Record by holding my breath and crossing all fingers and toes for the next 28 days.

The idea of Sarah Palin becoming p.o.t.u.s. after McCain's untimely death (statistically 30% likely over the 4 years) is, quite really, one of the most frightening concepts ever known to mankind.

I'm not sure that even the impending global economic depression would have as major an adverse effect on the well being of the peoples of this fair planet than the potential for global destruction of a Palin administration in the White House.

And, she apparently can't pronounce the specific sound produced by putting a "g" following the letters "i" and "n" at the end of a word in the English language (eg: talking, thinking, legislating). Obviously some sort of mental impairement.

The idea of Sarah Palin becoming p.o.t.u.s. after McCain's untimely death (statistically 30% likely over the 4 years) is, quite really, one of the most frightening concepts ever known to mankind.

I'm not sure that even the impending global economic depression would have as major an adverse effect on the well being of the peoples of this fair planet than the potential for global destruction of a Palin administration in the White House.

And, she apparently can't pronounce the specific sound produced by putting a "g" following the letters "i" and "n" at the end of a word in the English language (eg: talking, thinking, legislating). Obviously some sort of mental impairement.

She is the most awful creature known to man/woman/whatever she is kind :eek:

Tbh I don't know enough about the old bloke McCain to have much of an opinion on him, but she just urgghhhh repulses me - I can't believe some people actually like her and what she stands for and will vote for her :eek::eek::eek:

Scary stuff :spank:

Have you watched the impressions of her by comedian Tina Fey on the US show Saturday Night Live? They're all on the web, YouTube and whatever. 3 so far... one with someone playing Hillary, another parodying her 3rd post-nomination TV interview, the third parodying the VP debate.

They are lung-emptyingly funny. Seriously, I was left gasping for breath. You must see them...

Not only is the impression perfect, but the use of real Palin quotes (or only mild alterations) makes it doubly clever and more revealing of how not-ready-for-prime-time this lady is!

could be all that G, I & N.

shes a scary bird, but you crazy yanks :)lol:) voted bush in for a 2nd term so im not holding my breath

Not sure if you are referring to his health problems, but I think he'd take 30% any day.
I've just spent the last two weeks in Arizona and West Coast for a wedding, and on remarking on how frail he looks, I was amazed to find out from my US friends that he's already had 4 melanomas removed, (one of which was in stage 2a or 3). They also have it on good authority that he's having further related problems.
This amazed me for a number of reasons.

Firstly, how have I missed this because I've been following the campaign quite closely?
Secondly, how come this hasn't been picked up or become a campaign issue?
Thirdly, how can 40odd % of the US be happy with this situation and the likely prospect of Palin being president?

Don't get me wrong, McCain has my greatest respect for how he's handled and recovered from his illnesses, but surely he has to take this into account before selecting a so obviously incapable running mate.

We're only talking about the future of the world FFS!

please lets the Democrats win

the idea of Palin the Uberbitch and her grandad in power chills me to the bone

Not sure if you are referring to his health problems, but I think he'd take 30% any day.
I was talking about a combination of his age and medical history.

It's widely known in the States that he's a cancer survivor. I think I remember he even had something removed right in the middle of his 2000 primary campaign vs. George W.

Hard to make an overt campaign issue out of it. "Ya, this guy might kick the bucket and then you'll really be deep in it!" :lol: But the choice of Palin did focus a lot of attention on it in a lot of minds, even if it's an unspoken concern...

when george galloway calls bush a war criminal, he is not far wrong IMO. what happened in Iraq is nothing more than aggressive terrorism and i hope, behind the 2 brain cell inspired speeches and offensive gaffes, the rotten crusty can't sleep at night knowing that he more than any other has the bloods of thousands of children on his hands. i somehow doubt that is the case though.

for some years with barack (even when it was just a far off unrealisitic desire), i've felt hope, someone to admire, someone to believe in, someone who doesn't go to war on a vendetta or so he is crony mates can get even more rich.

when i heard obama say this on declaring he was to run for president
"[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching before us; if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe past and future generations, then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be done, and usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth."[/FONT]

it was like when you want something to happen so much that you can almost hardly believe that it will ever happen, kind of like waiting for the final whistle when your team is winning.

the whole obama campaign has felt a movement of change, that people will look back on and say "do you remember when obama first came on the scene". the fact that mccain/palin are the opposition are serves to highlight both the importance that he wins and the stupidity of about half of all americans (on the basis that they will vote for them regardless).

viva obama!
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][/FONT]

Just finished filling out my absentee ballot, which was so kindly provided by the grand state of Florida :D

is Florida a marginal then Johnny? It always seems to be of extreme strategical importance!

p.s Obama all the way!!

despite your best efforts john, i still think either vanburen or tiesto will top the list again.

it was like when you want something to happen so much that you can almost hardly believe that it will ever happen, kind of like waiting for the final whistle when your team is winning.

the whole obama campaign has felt a movement of change, that people will look back on and say "do you remember when obama first came on the scene". the fact that mccain/palin are the opposition are serves to highlight both the importance that he wins and the stupidity of about half of all americans (on the basis that they will vote for them regardless).

viva obama!

Yep, agree entirely.
My favourite exchange of the campaign so far is below.

So refreshing to hear Obama address the root cause. Contrast that to McCain's blinkered belief that sound knowledge and judgment has been displayed in the past 20-some years of US security challenges.

MCCAIN: I've been involved, as I mentioned to you before, in virtually every major national security challenge we've faced in the last 20-some years. There are some advantages to experience, and knowledge, and judgment.

OBAMA: Well, let me just make a closing point. You know, my father came from Kenya. That's where I get my name.
And in the '60s, he wrote letter after letter to come to college here in the United States because the notion was that there was no other country on Earth where you could make it if you tried. The ideals and the values of the United States inspired the entire world.
I don't think any of us can say that our standing in the world now, the way children around the world look at the United States, is the same.
And part of what we need to do, what the next president has to do -- and this is part of our judgment, this is part of how we're going to keep America safe -- is to -- to send a message to the world that we are going to invest in issues like education, we are going to invest in issues that -- that relate to how ordinary people are able to live out their dreams.

is Florida a marginal then Johnny? It always seems to be of extreme strategical importance!
Florida is now classified by most to be a "toss-up" as the polls have Obama in a slight lead.

I usually knock about 3% off of all Obama poll numbers, even the one like on Real Clear Politics which amalgamates all the various sources, polls and research. In the primaries against Hillary, there was a persistent 3% gap between polls and reality (some think it's uncertainty about the quick rise of this candidate, others point to latent racism).

Another reason to assume a cushion in the polls is the Wilder Effect. In 1989, my home state of Virginia elected the first black governor since the post-Civil War period (when there was once a black governor appointed by the Feds somewhere in the defeated South). Wilder, in polling and even in post-voting exit polling, was way ahead but won by a small margin. Again, latent racism was widely assumed (how could youexplain to exit pollers why you voted for all the Democrats except the governor?)

In Florida, my assumptions put the state back into McCain's column but statistically very insignificantly so it's still a toss-up. That means it'll all be down to voter turnout. So yes, my ballot is important :D

As you know, we don't really have one election but 50 separate elections. Each candidates gets points based on the relative populations of the states they win. Florida is big... about 25 of the 270 electoral votes needed to be victorious.

On a separate note, I stopped by the US embassy this morning and dropped my ballot off to get mailed. 8)
Also got up for a while in the middle of the night to watch presidential debate #2. Pretty much a draw, which is positive for Obama as he's got the momentum.

I think that all the Obama supporters are wrong to dislike Sarah Palin.

She is one of Obama's biggest vote getters.

Back