I Love Daft Punk

some of the reaction yesterday though sheesh. you'd think they'd died.... a lot of mid-40 somethings who never quite let go of 1996. was tempted to post this in the RIP thread, but might've been awkward had the post appeared above some genuine tragedy

I don't really think the daft punk is going apart. their last album dates from 2013, why published a video that they stopped 8 years later without a last project? then this separation video is already a few years old ... i could be wrong but i think they are making the buzz as usual to come back with a last album this year

shit the bed. how good is this...

Great, glad I got off when the masks were put on.
Perhaps they had the same thought.

Alive 2007 remastered. Just released.

Not as good as 97 (musically) but still unbeatable in electronic circles as a live spectacle (only Jean-Michel Jarre and Kraftwerk could match this).
If you want to know why they will be missed, this is it. As important as The Beatles. Don't agree? Bite me.

Daft Punk made some good records but they didn't alter the course of history, so bin those beatles analogies right now..

What they did do is commodify music in a way that crossed over in a way that suburban America could handle (and even then Oakenfold was the real catalyst on that u2 tour). Whilst creatively, fun as their music is, there's nothing that avh, roger sanchez, sneak, b jaxx, chems, coldcut, renegade soundwave, weatherall weren't already doing ...

There are some really innovative techniques in electronic dance music. Right now, I'm comparing sidechain compression with reverb to the guitar on "Get Lucky"... but because I'm a guitar player, I'm very biased.

But saying Daft Punk is just "One More Time" is like saying The Doors are just "Light My Fire".

Maybe I'm just a little too familiar with their catalog, but they've been a mainstay in my life since Discovery. And I'd heard "Around the World" (Homework) before that... It's a sound that I'll never forget.

I think they remind me of funky disco house a little, just because... oh, I don't know. They just do. The sounds that they incorporated took me to disco-nostalgia - I don't have a history in disco, but it has a place in history and is ingrained in dance music history as well.

At the time I started listening to Daft Punk, I was very much into DJ Dan (see funky house), and DJ Irene (very much a hard house pioneer). Those were the sounds of that time, and Daft Punk placed themselves squarely between all of that with zeal, creativity, and more-than-a-little enthusiasm.

I like that they were in Tron Legacy. It's a testament to the popularity of dance music - proof that we exist outside of the walls of the club, beyond the grass at the festival, and as more than a mere music-collector/hobbyist's fantasy. We're real, and Daft Punk is proof.

Farewell... you will never be forgotten.

Daft Punk made some good records but they didn't alter the course of history, so bin those beatles analogies right now..

What they did do is commodify music in a way that crossed over in a way that suburban America could handle (and even then Oakenfold was the real catalyst on that u2 tour). Whilst creatively, fun as their music is, there's nothing that avh, roger sanchez, sneak, b jaxx, chems, coldcut, renegade soundwave, weatherall weren't already doing ...

Nah, none had a live show like them. We will see in years to come who's legacy lives on and my point will stand.

Indeed a loss for the show scene.
A lot of spectators need to look for something else to line up for.

Personally I have a problem with watching dance music on a stage. Lights and SFX certainly can enhance a vibe but it just feels weird to me watching pre-programmed music playing out on a stage. I don't get it. It feels fake to me. I'm obviously in the minority though.

the link I posted earlier in the thread of DP djing is completely different though because that is raw and feeding off the crowd. that is the DP I really liked. the later version just seemed all a bit vaudeville and contrived to me.

I know what you mean. Although I have great memories of Jean-Michel Jarre, Underworld and similar acts the whole setup is more related to theatre than to rave, in every way. I try to compensate it by looking for a good spot at the bar, turning of the dumbphone, and interacting with some fellows, but the struggle is always there. Silliest part is when you got yourself accustomed the whole thing ends and you're thrown out of a stadium at the middle of nowhere on a Tuesday night.

Exactly @Bahamas they created the robot act for the spectacle of it. Too many chin strokers have a problem it.

They brought joy to millions in various musical guises. Some people prefer the raw, uncut stuff of the 90's some loved the arena style shows and I know some that solely enjoyed the Tron soundtrack and other bits and pieces.

And for the record I was giving it great guns when I saw Jarre. f*** sitting in your seat. Who cares what others think.

ok this discussion isn't about DP anymore. it's about clubs v festies.... a no-brainer imo

the clubs win. every. single. time. because the vibe is unpredictable, you don't know where the dj is, you don't know what they're gonna play, so you're forced to dance and lose yourself with people around you, rather than gawping at some lights and smoke on a stage.

at a dance gig, you'll know the back catalogue, you know what's coming. I saw Orbital at Brixton and was thinking what am I actually supposed to be watching here? a bald guy at a keyboard or another bald guy at a keyboard?

the thing is a live act cannot reproduce the raw interaction of a club when music is teased in and out to match the crowd's mood.

what made the French touch scene so exciting for me was the use of filters that were custom-designed for the clubs. listening to i:cube, alan braxe, Mehdi, none of that music would work in a massive space

If you want to know how ridiculous a live show can get, attend a Giorgio Moroder concert.
You will be soaked in a funeral where everyone wants to make a final crap recording of I feel love.
The only persons that will try to have a good time out are you, Giorgio, and an odd bartender.

@Tourist 'watching pre-programmed music playing out on a stage'.

Pretty certain DP weren't just pressing play with the pyramid set up mate.

View attachment 11564

Good old read on Gearslutz about the pyramid setup and the mask thing: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ableton-live/155020-daft-punks-use-ableton-synths.html

Those big live shows are more like semi-live acts.

They get to mess around with some effects and samples but the big chunks people -and the light jockey- expect simply need to be there. They won't take a risk to screw up the chorus.

I sort of agree but they were brilliant at pop/house/techno and in my opinion very consistent and always very accessible but brilliant in their constructs, and for a long time. Homework onwards I was always a fan. I saw them play in Hyde Park, London, in 2007 and they were excellent and “fun” and not in a derogatory way.

Back