How's your year been?

Not bad.

Seen a few nice places: Florence, Palma & Lisbon.
Cut back on drugs a fair bit. I guess the govt meph ban has helped me.
Discovered 2 very positive things: Buddhism and dumbbells. For the first time, I'm enjoying exercise!
Things a bit crap in the romance and sex dept, but am getting used to that now. :rolleyes:
Disposable income going down, but not too bothered, providing I'm comfortable.
Got round to ditching the music writing I was doing in my free time (started seeing by the freebies!), which is going to mean more time for the stuff I really want and need to do.

Great year for me.

• Got married in April with a honeymoon in Ibiza. stayed at Es Cucons which is by far the nicest hotel i've stayed in in Ibiza.
  • The mrs is pregnant. Due in March.
  • Had a good year work-wise after a couple of bad ones due to the recession.
  • I am currently in Australia working now with a view to moving the family over once the baby arrives.
  • Managed to squeeze in a few bits of remix work too.
All in all the most grown up year i've ever lived I believe. Definitley the best though.

8)

Great year for me.

• Got married in April with a honeymoon in Ibiza. stayed at Es Cucons which is by far the nicest hotel i've stayed in in Ibiza.
  • The mrs is pregnant. Due in March.
  • Had a good year work-wise after a couple of bad ones due to the recession.
  • I am currently in Australia working now with a view to moving the family over once the baby arrives.
  • Managed to squeeze in a few bits of remix work too.
All in all the most grown up year i've ever lived I believe. Definitley the best though.

8)

Congrats x2!

Best and worst year of my life. A lot of is revolves around my ex gf I'm afraid.

First Half:
Drunken text to my ex girlfriend, Natalie, who I'd never really gotten over, asking how she was. To my surprise, she replied, and we got chatting.
My move up to Leeds really hit home, and I realised how alone I was. A blow out night at OTR and the massive freak out that followed in February made me realise I need to get a grip on the situation and pull myself together.

Best mate met his girlfriend, so had a new friend in my life. Met a couple of other people too.
Work started to drag a little, as I began to realise how monotonous it was.
Ex gf told me she was moving in with her boyfriend (the guy she cheated on me with in 09).
Continued talking to my ex gf daily throughout the entire time. Come May 24th, she decided to come down and visit me, and we went to Alton Towers together. At the end of the trip, she told me she was still in love with me. Four days later, she split up with her boyfriend.

The plans for Ibiza were coming in to fruition. The dates booked, people confirmed, hotel and plane tickets bought.

Went up at the end of June to spend a weekend with Natalie, and we got back together.
Started trying to put money to one side every month, so in a year or two's time, I can have a deposit for a house, or money to go travelling.

Second half:
Went to Ibiza - Was an epic holiday, but two weeks was too long on a shoe string. Caught a cold half way through which didn't help matters either. Global followed a day later, which was one of the hardest things I've had to endure. Two weeks of partying, followed by a day of rest, then another two days of partying...

Saw the now gf every other weekend, when I'd drive up to hers. The first weekend I saw her in august, she told me she loved and wanted to spend the rest of her life with me, and to have kids with me.
Went to a close friends wedding in August, which is a beautiful ceremony.

Girlfriend has a break down at the end of September, due to hating her job, hating her degree, and her ex boyfriend liking someone else. So she kicked me out of her life, telling me she never wanted to talk to me again.

October and November have basically been spent having the time of my life. I've had so many great weekends since we split up, and am now concentrating on trying to get a promotion in my job. Best mate's girlfriend moved in with us at the start of October... she'd stubborn and very arrogant at times, but she has her moments. :)

I'm looking forward to 2012 starting, and hoping it's not the end of the world... I want to do the Ibiza Season in 2013!

TL;DR - Found the love of my life, got back with love of my life, love of my life dumped me. Lots of partying between all events. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had another solidly good year - not an amazing year, but still a good year. Done some great holidays and festivals including:

Malaysia for 2 weeks in April
Glasto - my 2011 highlight :D
Bestival
Marbs for a hen do

Saw 7 of my friends get married and caught 4 boquets!!! Errr hello Jon! ;)

Absolutely loved living in Hackney... spent my year in the pubs, bars, clubs and parks of this amazing area. I'll definitely be back after my travels.

On the downside I've had a few injuries and not been able to stay as active as I'd like :( Think I must be getting old!! I guess it's a sign I need to slow down a bit and take a bit more care of my body.

Moving out of Hackney on 18th December :( and preparing for our big trip on 18th Jan. Next year is going to be THE BEST!!! :D

Negative:
Just the one - my ex. Spent half the year making a pain of herself, still. Still hasn't paid me the money I lent her when she couldn't afford her mortgage etc, even though she's sold the property and had the cash. Pleas of poverty while posting photos on Facebook of Egyptian holidays, expensive restaurants etc have not been well received here. Court date of March 22 2012, though I'm hoping I'll get a judgement before that.

Positives:
December 2011, TOTGA (The One That Got Away) and I moved into a brilliant flat in Ladbroke Grove. Christmas Day lunch at The Warrington, disturbed briefly by one of my workers writing off his van.

Bit of travel:

Feb - skiing in Morzine
End of March - a fews days of scorching sunshine in Tenerife
End of April - New York - met my 'niece' Lucy for the first time. Probably the highlight of my year.:D:D:D
July - one the missus' artists was playing a big gig in Malta so we had an all expenses paid weekend there. Boy, was it hot. *jammy bugger smiley*

Bit of sport:
Won the league and cup for my Saturday footy team, and reached the final for my Sunday vets team (lost). Rushed of the end of that final to meet the missus at the end of her marathon triumph.

Bit of music:
White Lies at Hammersmith in Feb8)
The Big Chill in August 8)8)
Bestival in September8)8)8)
Notting Hill Carnival - so nice to be living right on it!
Stu Hirst's Boat Party - wicked to the point I remember. Reportedly so thereafter!

Bit of work - all still ticking along nicely. Potentially a change on the horizon, but nothing too scary.

The Future

We moved back to the suburbs last month. My house needs some work on the roof, so I moved the tenants on and decided I might as well do the loft conversion while I'm at it. Work starting in January.

Closer that, we're off skiing on Xmas Eve. Haven't decided where yet, gonna book last minute. Festival experiences above as made me realise how much better life is with a partner who is both beautiful and pratical. Previous princesses haven't liked camping/didn't want to walk too far etc and really took the gloss of what should be amazing experiences. TOTGA, like me, embraces them and makes them even better.

This trip will be her first ski holiday and I'm sure she's going to love. Eyes down for Sunday week's trip to SnoZone!8)

big year of change.

thanks to mr burgler, i am now:
engaged.
and self employed.

free from the shackles of a mediocre 9-5, churning out dross, and sustaining some other numpty's lifestyle. i am now actually producing work, which i am now proud of, and gaining reward and kudos.

change hasnt been easy, but its all about building for the long term.

8)

Oh, one more negative: Robder stealing my thunder and sneaking in to start Buckley's traditional circlejerk 'How's Your Year Been?' Thread!:evil::evil:

Highs

Said Adios London after living there for 12 years, moved to the seaside and bought a gorgeous house in Brighton. Absolutely love the lifestyle down here, 3 of my favourite things in life are vintage shops, veggie restaurants and real ale pubs and Brighton has those in abundance. I also find there's something very relaxing about living by the sea and love having the South Downs on our doorstep 8)

Had a fantastic 3 week trip to America, firstly for a friend's wedding and then a roadtrip and totally fell in love with Yosemite, Death Valley and the Grand Canyon, also developed a love for American beer

For the first half of the year worked really hard on a huge freelance project, but then as part of our new 'get away from the ratrace' lifestyle made a conscious decision to take on less freelance work, so the last couple of months have been blissful and all about long dog walks on the beach every morning, running along the seafront, coastal bike rides, pilates, being a domestic goddess and all round good housewife :lol:

2 amazing trips to Berlin - there is nothing else that needs to be said on the wonder that is Berghain/Panorama :twisted:

Ran Brighton Marathon - me, the original ex-Wino Fag Ash Lil, ran a marathon, and in a pretty decent time (4 hours 29 mins) and raised lots of money for Dogs Trust

Became a Number 1 Auntie/Fairy Godmother again as my sis had a baby boy George

And still a massive high to come as of next week - 3 week holiday to Borneo to climb a mountain amongst other things 8)

Lows

One big low - my Dad had a massive heart attack in August. He was relatively young (just turned 61), fit, healthy, even the doctors couldn't explain it and said he was such a low risk case, it was really touch and go for a while but he pulled through. He was making excellent progress and recovery but in the last few weeks has had 2 more very minor heart attacks and is currently back in hospital as there is still something not right so undergoing more tests to hopefully get to the bottom of it.

All in all, apart from my Dad's heart attack, 2011 has been very good to me, but I would trade in all the highs just to get my Dad back to full health again.

Hmm... let me see. 2011. Wow. A lot has happened but then again not so much :lol:

The usual amount of interesting travel this year (as noted in my sig):
- Had a nice Xmas/NY holiday in the US, St Maarten & St Barts. Finally made it to DisneyWorld... what a blast! (My parents have lived 1 hour away for a decade but I'd never bothered before :lol:)
- Short February trips to Berlin & Copenhagen. What lovely cities.
- The opening week of the Venice Biennale was even more fun than when I went 2 years ago. That city is like illustrations from a story book. And the parties... Oh, and the art, of course!
- Trip of a lifetime to Wrangel Island in August. Polar bears! 8) (does this give me the Spotlight award for most remote place visited? :lol:)
- Ibiza in September. "nuff said!
- Short party weekends in Kiev in April and Minsk in October. Quite like both cities.
- Two work trips to St Petersburg which I'm finally starting to like as a city (never did before, despite it being quite beautiful) and another two to London (which I need to get back to sometime soon!)

Still have my job... in this world economy, that's good enough!

Been to lots of great events here in Moscow and during travels. Parties, music, concerts, art, etc. Too many to count, really.

A few hiccups in the personal life, but that's life.

Moved into a great new apartment in August after marking 10 years in my previous place (and 10 years in Moscow). Paying twice as much in rent, thus decimating disposable income :( and spent a small fortune furnishing the place with shelves, desk, coffee table, dishes, etc. Nevertheless, it really is amazing how a nice place, furnished and organized as you like it, can improve your mood and quality of life. 8)

Bought an electric drum set this year and set up a corner of the new place with my guitars, keyboard, etc... I will get back into making music!

Looking forward to seeing my new niece Alia over the holidays :D Three months old this week.

And very psyched to go to India for the first time this month for my friend's wedding in Mumbai! Celebrating New Years there then off to Goa, Delhi and Agra. Should be fun.

All in all, can't complain. :)
Most of us on this forum... we are extremely fortunate people. Must remember that.

Loving these chaotic times. 8)

Definitely not exempt from the negative side of what's kicking off out there having been through sheer HELL for the past 3-4 years where work is concerned.

Who knows where we'll be in a few years but ultimately I think it's for the best. Truths are coming out left right and centre (news international/banking bonuses/wikileaks) and it's hard to pull the wool over anyone's eyes these days.

Thankfully am still very happy in my job - sod the career path (phrrrt). Have NO desire to climb any ladders, am here purely because it's fun, inspiring and teaching me loads of great life skills. THANK GOD I'm not in a w@nky ad agency with self important stressed Erics spouting bollox about brands any more. :rolleyes: :lol:

Dancefloor highlights have to be BoysOwn parties, MoS 20th birthday, Horsemeat Disco & Creche and am still helping with the set up at the Loft (which continues to be the biggest honour of my life)...Oh and the NYC Downlow is still the world's best club. 8) 8) 8)

The squat scene is where it's at though - some really interesting characters to be found there.

I can't lie - this year has been really really horrible for reasons I won't go into.

But 2012 is looking good. Moving back into my flat shortly and focusing on enjoying London as much as possible. It's hard to take this city forgranted so am making to-do lists left right and centre. Might jet off to India on a one way ticket in 2013 - who knows?

Needing to travel - a cr@p beach holiday will do. It's been so long since I boarded a plane so must drag my ar$e over to Berlin/Ibiza next year to rekindle some old memories.

Oh and I've booked for a MASSIVE tattoo with my fave artist for August next year. 8)

On another note, I'm ridiculously inspired with my shamanic studies, acquiring more and more skills and tools for when I finally go into holistic work which is where my head is at. Completed a four day solitary fast up a mountain in Wales earlier this year which was one of the maddest experiences of my life. :eek:

Also just traded my life savings for a mahoosive 38" symphonic gong. Anyone who hasn't had the experience of a gong bath - do it. It's one of the trippiest experiences. :eek: (mid life crisis? Moi?)

Uhmmmm - that's about it I think. :confused:

Roll on new year though - 2012 really can't come quickly enough.

Tough year with lots of highs and lows.

Good things:

Finally got a tattoo, which I love.

10th year anniversary of starting my business, doing more work in London and overseas which is going well but is increasingly challenging.

Beat the qualifying time for the Para's P-Company challenge in September. Which I'm very proud of.:lol:

Barcelona was great this year.

Week in a country cottage was really good too.

Being a Dad, hopefully a good one :lol:

I met Pups!

**** things:

Growing, non specific sense of impending doom. :lol::eek::evil:

Not able to relax.

Want to live in Sweden, in the wilderness in a cabin, by a lake with one of those flying boat things. With a friendly racoon. But it aint' gonna happen. Which seems unfair. As i'd be a ****ing great grizzley adams. And you don't get racoons in sweden.

Back