How's Your Year Been? (2017)

I haven't been around the forum much lately so I suppose this is an easy way to get caught up :lol:

2017 Highs:
- Lots of great travel. Highlights include, but are not limited to, Chile and Easter Island, northern Italy, Venice Biennale, Montreaux, New Orleans, Seychelles, and Colombia at year-end.
- Some good concerts as well, including Depeche Mode and finally seeing the Rolling Stones
- Busy at work (suppose that's better than being bored!)
- First full year of marriage to the lovely current Ms M.
- Still have all my limbs, a home, a car, a job and gadgets
- Speaking of gadgets, I built my own arcade machine. If I die, I want that on my tombstone. :lol:

2017 Lows:
- Didn't make it to Ibiza
- Need to do better with keeping in touch with people
- Trump sucks

I wouldn't say it's the best year of my life (2016 is a contender for that) but it was definitely a good one and I really shouldn't grumble. Only thing missing is a little Morbyd running around but we're working on it...

You can't just post that sentence and not post pictures... c'mon man :p
16807255_10154819190200325_958553107724249988_n.jpg

That's so cool! So how does it all work? A laptop running the game with the buttons on a controller of some kind?

That's so cool! So how does it all work? A laptop running the game with the buttons on a controller of some kind?
Basically. I hacked together 2 Ikea kitchen cabinets (one on top of another).
In the top one, I put a shelf near the top to hold the marquee and the speakers (I drilled a hole through the shelf for sound to come through and covered it with car speaker covers).
Then I made a bezel, which holds up the glass, behind which sits a square flat-screen monitor.
That monitor is hooked into an old laptop sitting inside. You don't need much computing power to run this.
On the computer I have a version of a program called MAME, which emulates old arcade games. I have about 30 games loaded. Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pacman, Joust and Galaga are probably the most used.
The controller is from an American company called X-Arcade (took a month to have it shipped here!). It connects to the computer via USB cable.

Added bonus: storage space in the lower cabinet :lol:

Basically. I hacked together 2 Ikea kitchen cabinets (one on top of another).
In the top one, I put a shelf near the top to hold the marquee and the speakers (I drilled a hole through the shelf for sound to come through and covered it with car speaker covers).
Then I made a bezel, which holds up the glass, behind which sits a square flat-screen monitor.
That monitor is hooked into an old laptop sitting inside. You don't need much computing power to run this.
On the computer I have a version of a program called MAME, which emulates old arcade games. I have about 30 games loaded. Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pacman, Joust and Galaga are probably the most used.
The controller is from an American company called X-Arcade (took a month to have it shipped here!). It connects to the computer via USB cable.

Added bonus: storage space in the lower cabinet :lol:

Thanks for all that info! Makes me appreciate it even more :)

Back