how have the club layouts changed?

Some great posts on this thread guys, brings back some fantastic memories!!! Home @ space was a favourite of mine.. Space back then was unrivalled and i fear never will be. The whole feeling of daytime partying was unique and felt it was "only" in ibiza this could be happening... They really have taken away a special element but will never take away the memories...8)

Sorry wrong. The terrace didn't have a roof on it till at least 97, maybe 98. I have photos from 96 with no roof on terrace and by 99 it was defo with roof.

The roof on the main room amnesia went on in 90/91 I presume
Imagine my horror after not going to Amnesia since 1990 and then going 18 years later, to find the terrace had been converted into a large room with a roof and terrible acoustics! :(
The roof on the main room was started in late '89 or early '90 and finished before the start of the '90 opening party. The same with Es Paradis and KU. The new rules concerning noise pollution meant they had to have roofs that year.
I went up to Amnesia with a friend to meet with somebody while the roof and other building work was going on. The large statue near the entrance had a mans head on it but by the time the club had opened a month or so later, the head had been changed to a robot head (or was it a robot head that was changed to a mans head? I was in there last year and can't remember which it was!). I think the statue was actually made (sculpted?) in situ. Is the statue still there?
Just had a browse through some AMAZING youtube vids of 1989 amnesia closing and carl cox 1990 where the roof wasnt on amnesia and by the day time it looks mental!!! Lots of people blatently off their tits :D
The Carl Cox, Amnesia 1990 video on Youtube isn't Amnesia, Ibiza.

No it's not it's the event Amnesia House, I know they did nights at Shelleys and Eclipse. Can't imagine the likes of Top Buzz going down well at Amnesia in Ibiza!

Top Buzz were in Ibiza in 1990. Im pretty sure they performed at the Summum but I can't remember where else? I remember being sat next to them in Cafe del Mar while they were smoking some sort of exotic substance from South America but Mad P was not there to spit lyrics over José Padilla's set. :D

No it's not it's the event Amnesia House, I know they did nights at Shelleys and Eclipse. Can't imagine the likes of Top Buzz going down well at Amnesia in Ibiza!

I used to go over to coventry for amnesia house @ the eclipse after the "bass place" in birmingham most saturdays... great club, slightly on the edgy side and a fair few wrong un's but nevertheless good to roll out of at 8 am sunday morning... :twisted:

Top Buzz were in Ibiza in 1990. Im pretty sure they performed at the Summum but I can't remember where else? I remember being sat next to them in Cafe del Mar while they were smoking some sort of exotic substance from South America but Mad P was not there to spit lyrics over José Padilla's set. :D

Never would have guessed that, didn't imagine jungle techno going down well in Ibiza at that time. Why not I suppose.

I used to go over to coventry for amnesia house @ the eclipse after the "bass place" in birmingham most saturdays... great club, slightly on the edgy side and a fair few wrong un's but nevertheless good to roll out of at 8 am sunday morning... :twisted:

My sister had a friend with a glass eye when she was in college and somehow managed to drop it while at the eclipse. The MC announced over the mic ''please be careful, someone has lost an eye on the dancefloor. Please keep a look out for an eye''. Priceless looks on all the spaced out punters faces.

My sister had a friend with a glass eye when she was in college and somehow managed to drop it while at the eclipse. The MC announced over the mic ''please be careful, someone has lost an eye on the dancefloor. Please keep a look out for an eye''. Priceless looks on all the spaced out punters faces.

That's absolutely hilarious .. one of the funniest things I've heard in ages. Like the witches in a certain dramatization of Macbeth .. only on the dancefloor :lol:

Imagine my horror after not going to Amnesia since 1990 and then going 18 years later, to find the terrace had been converted into a large room with a roof and terrible acoustics! :(

dont agree with that the soundsystem in amnesia main room and terrace is awesome id say??

They aren't anything special. There's not much bass, unless you stand directly next to the subwoofers.

dont agree with that the soundsystem in amnesia main room and terrace is awesome id say??
I never said anything about the main room. I'm talking about where the terrace used to be. It's just another big room. The main room sounds loads better.

Never would have guessed that, didn't imagine jungle techno going down well in Ibiza at that time. Why not I suppose.
I don't think jungle techno had been invented yet or it was still very underground. I think it was one of Top Buzz that coined the phrase "Jungle techno"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think jungle techno had been invented yet or it was still very underground. I think it was one of Top Buzz that coined the phrase "Jungle techno"?

Probably Mad P. I actually have no idea what they were playing in 1990? I only really know them for the tunes they were playing around 2 blacks and a bubble era.

8) Good thread, and great posts from ressie expert El Grego 8)

I used to love dancing in front of the speaker housing of the old terrace of space on the right directly in front of the DJ booth. If i remember correctly it was a small structure with blue grill gates on it. It fooked up my ears for days like but you got a good vantage of the terrace just when it went off, esp of the raised area around the edge.

Those were the days 8)

i remember that big blue gate thing as well....looked like a jail cell :lol:

the real space terrace days from 9 in the morning 8)

Back