how have the club layouts changed?

oh and nice info on space, so the original terrace dj booth was behind the bar which is now the sunset terrace bar nearest the toilets? and it faced out over the old terrace from what would be your left hand side looking at the terraza dj booth now? when you say the entrance has always been the same if the sunset terrace wasnt built until 2005 doesnt that mean that the current entrance was just an outside area? do you mean the front door to the club was what is now the actual entrance door to the la terraza area? cheers.

do you mean the front door to the club was what is now the actual entrance door to the la terraza area? cheers.

yeah, essentially you entered the club directly onto la terraza.

I had forgotten about those wicker chairs....

Agree with Gecko that there was a golden period in Space that will never be recreated (or forgotten).

David Morales etc paying the Breakfast at DefMix late morning sessions

Tenaglia playing for, it seemed like days on end.

The empty silence after the terrace closed at midnight.

Morillo getting funky on our a$$es

Sunshine streaming through the matting roof, the heat of the day burning your body to ever higher levels of ecstasy

Carnage on a Tuesday morning at the Manumission carry-ons.

Donna Summer I Feel Love looped over and over again.

Looking down from the steps at the blissed out crowd, being part of something magical

Happy, happy daze indeed.......

grego;1390649 you can see the basic layout here [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEQBDsuhUw[/url]

that vid nearly had me in tears. Such happiness

i remember 'going upstairs' in space in 2001, what is now the red box was just a mini-chillout area, with kind of like picnic style seats (like fixed/bolted down) and it was all open into the discoteca, there was no wall there.

I remember in bout 2005, this area was cordened off so that Puff 'Mr Puffy' Daddy could use it as his VIP area during his Let's Get Up and Let's Get Ill phase. Felix Da Housecat was playing.

Sunshine streaming through the matting roof, the heat of the day burning your body to ever higher levels of ecstasy

Looking down from the steps at the blissed out crowd, being part of something magical

God damn Russ, couldnt have put it better myself. 8) I remember all the above !!

I remember one partuicularly messy post Manumission Carry on (Remember the inflatable pair of legs at the entrance :lol:) and i somehow ended up drinking Moet with Mika and Claire and the dwarf chap, very surreal.

And going straight from Def mix@ Pacha to Space to see a spangled Morales warming up the old terrace on many occassion.

And ofcourse Morillo when he wasnt so famous and up his bum, playing some great house on the terrace (Sweet dreams a fond memory) 8)

Oh the good old days hahaha !!

Great posts Grego/Russ/Liam etc.

Even though it's not quite the same, you've really got the juices flowing for Space Closing.

Just one point of pedantry though. The music definitely used to start around 10am (ish).
The reason I remember this is that our first ever visit and terrace experience involved us going (almost) straight from the airport and knocking on the door at 8am, due to an excruciating flight delay. After a couple of hours of vodka limons in the bar/food area (only bar open at that time), the first track could just about be heard coming from the terrace. It was Voodoo Ray - Guy called Gerald. There began my Terrace infatuation.

yeah, essentially you entered the club directly onto la terraza.

Agree with Gecko that there was a golden period in Space that will never be recreated (or forgotten).

Happy, happy daze indeed.......

Good times there mate.

Great posts Grego/Russ/Liam etc.

Even though it's not quite the same, you've really got the juices flowing for Space Closing.

Just one point of pedantry though. The music definitely used to start around 10am (ish).
The reason I remember this is that our first ever visit and terrace experience involved us going (almost) straight from the airport and knocking on the door at 8am, due to an excruciating flight delay. After a couple of hours of vodka limons in the bar/food area (only bar open at that time), the first track could just about be heard coming from the terrace. It was Voodoo Ray - Guy called Gerald. There began my Terrace infatuation.

I also remember going straight from Priviledge to Carry On at Space in 1998, about 8am I think? The music was on inside definately by that time. Remember sitting on sofas right at the back of the "discoteca" as you entered on the right.

I am gutted I never got to see Space in all its glory.

My first visit to Ibiza was in 2006 (I think maybe 2005, not sure), and it was the first summer that the roof had been put up.

Huge disappointment when I saw what it was like the first time.

Saying that, I'm glad I got to do morning parties at Space. Matinee on a Saturday morning after Manumission was my fave morning of the holiday. Great vibe and great people.

Great thread, loved reading it... thanks guys.

I am gutted I never got to see Space in all its glory.

My first visit to Ibiza was in 2006 (I think maybe 2005, not sure), and it was the first summer that the roof had been put up.

Huge disappointment when I saw what it was like the first time.

Saying that, I'm glad I got to do morning parties at Space. Matinee on a Saturday morning after Manumission was my fave morning of the holiday. Great vibe and great people.

Great thread, loved reading it... thanks guys.

The Matinee parties were the best parties in the "New" Space. Music, vibe, people, place was rammed by midday. Brilliant.

Remember that it was the licensing change that converted Space from day to nightclub.

I'm sad that I missed all of this... but at the same time, I struggle to imagine what state I'd be in after doing a full night then a full day :lol:

I'm sad that I missed all of this... but at the same time, I struggle to imagine what state I'd be in after doing a full night then a full day :lol:

It was so good... you would have managed... we used to get to Manumission for about 3, leave at about 6:30 head back to the apartment, have a little party... then at about 8:30 - 9am walk down to Space... dancing the whole way... By midday it was packed and everyone just going for it.

So bloody good... I miss it so much. My other half loves Ibiza so much too, but never got to see those daytime parties... Maybe one day... Maybe.

i'm also one of those who just got a bit of the legendary daytime parties at space. in 2004 and 2005, a few "in bed with space", some manu carry-on's (hilarious really!!! :D ) and of course the matinée's...good times!!! also, at least we experienced two "we love" parties on the old sunset terrace...brilliant!
true, when the club changed its layout and they still could do daytime parties, matinée was the biggest and busiest of them...happy days! 8)

absolutely great thread by the way, eres un crack grego!

oh and nice info on space, so the original terrace dj booth was behind the bar which is now the sunset terrace bar nearest the toilets? and it faced out over the old terrace from what would be your left hand side looking at the terraza dj booth now?

no, the original terrace dj "booth" was just some decks behind the bar. imagine where the dj booth on the covered terrace is now. if you face out from the booth, the bar this is to your right, well the dj was there on the right hand side.

when you say the entrance has always been the same if the sunset terrace wasnt built until 2005 doesnt that mean that the current entrance was just an outside area? do you mean the front door to the club was what is now the actual entrance door to the la terraza area? cheers.

the entrance area (now part of the sunset terrace) was then part of the terrace, the glass doors that lead into the terrace now were put in later. so when you came into the club all the terrace was to your right or you could go straight into the discoteca.

It was so good... you would have managed... we used to get to Manumission for about 3, leave at about 6:30 head back to the apartment, have a little party... then at about 8:30 - 9am walk down to Space... dancing the whole way... By midday it was packed and everyone just going for it.

So bloody good... I miss it so much. My other half loves Ibiza so much too, but never got to see those daytime parties... Maybe one day... Maybe.

Bring it all back :p .. "managing" never an issue !! Funny, but it's pretty easy now to do 24 hour clubbing in London, Berlin etc. on the right days. The sunshine, sea, outdoor parties and special atmosphere are what made it so special in Ibiza tho'.

"Back in the day", UK licencing was a total nightmare and it was really hard to get proper partying in. Used to wind up at private house parties in remote parts of the the countryside all the time because of it... which was great, but you can never match the vibe of an open party. Now you can easily dance the night, morning and afternoon away in Blighty without needing a "rave" !

Last edited by a moderator:
oh got ya grego must have been mad that being the main daytime terrace obviously the size being a lot bigger than the sunset terrace to!! has the car park area always been open for the space opening and closing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a browse through some AMAZING youtube vids of 1989 amnesia closing and carl cox 1990 where the roof wasnt on amnesia and by the day time it looks mental!!! Lots of people blatently off their tits :D
Seeing it just makes me sad as although I love Ibiza, I feel I have missed out big time now as its unlikely we will ever go back to raving in the day time again :(
Ah well, for those of you that were there it must of been a time to cherish.....I dont think I would be able to go these days having seen the glory like that though. You can see the whole of amnesia outside at one vid with just a sea of bodys going mad inbetween with no roof and it looked like an amazing time.

Back