How can I work in the USA?

Beckiboo

Or anywhere abroad really for that matter... but more specifically New York.

It's always been a dream of mine to work in the Big Apple for 6months - 1 year. I know it's tough to get a visa to work in the U.S, but how would I go about trying to get one?

I know a few Spotlighters have moved abroad and worked for long periods of time, what made you decide to leave your home country, and did you stick with your chosen choice of career? How hard was it to find work being a non-national?

I just don't really know where to start looking at the moment! :confused:

Or anywhere abroad really for that matter... but more specifically New York.

It's always been a dream of mine to work in the Big Apple for 6months - 1 year. I know it's tough to get a visa to work in the U.S, but how would I go about trying to get one?

I know a few Spotlighters have moved abroad and worked for long periods of time, what made you decide to leave your home country, and did you stick with your chosen choice of career? How hard was it to find work being a non-national?

I just don't really know where to start looking at the moment! :confused:

Leaving Jon behind? ;) :lol:

It would be much easier for you to get a job in a Commonwealth country.. Canada, Australia, New Zealand.... you just apply online and get your one or two year visa in less than 12 hours! Easy Peasy! :)

You know about the working holiday visas?

I did them in both Australia and New Zealand (which you can get for 2 years) and I never got backpacker jobs... I got 'proper' jobs when I was over there. I also worked and gone to school in the UK (I'm Canadian), but my family is from there and I've lived there at various point in my life so it doesn't count! ;)

Asia is fairly easy to get teaching jobs. I lived in Japan for a few years and lots of people do that sort of thing.

Do you have any relatives from somewhere else that you can get dual nationality with? That's one way of getting around the visa requirements! I have a UK and a Canadian passport, so it's handy for me that way.

I don't know about working in the US, even for Canadians, it's not easy.

Do you want a 'proper' job or will you do anything just for the experience of working in another country?

Have you ever looked at working for the British Council? They might have some stuff in the US, I know they have work in many other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very difficult to get a Green Card, unless you can score a job before applying. Although I had one friend who won one in one of the numerous lotteries advertised online !

If you have cash and a good idea or ten, you can go over and start a business and get residency that way, the procedure is quite straightforward it seems, I have several friends who have done it recently, they are looking for entrepreneurs since the recession... Otherwise, your best bet is to marry a local :lol:

As mentioned above, there are plenty of other exciting places to live which would be more "instantly" welcoming ! Go for it - good luck :)

My brother did this thing where they sort EVERYTHING out for you. The jobs aren't great, but everything is ready made when you get there. Job, apartment, life. Meant for graduates, good little scheme. Do all the interviews etc. here... Could not tell you what it was called though.

depending on the job you really don't need a work visa- plenty of people come on a tourist visa for six months, take a crap (but high paying) job in a bar/restaurant/etc- ideal if you only plan on being here for six months, built-in friends/party scene/etc....always high demand for nannys, but little financial compensation (though they do support you legally) - if you want a better job and have some (pretty good) IT skills, or are into fashion/etc you can freelance w/out a visa, plenty of loopholes (or so i've heard;))

Good luck getting a job here - the unemployment rate is at 10%!

:rolleyes:
now is the perfect time to move (short-term at least) to new york- plenty of 'disposable' jobs, rents are cheaper than in the last decade(plan on sharing though) - ask any brit who lived here during our last recession in the early 90s - have a lot of savings, get a cash-paying job, have fun- plus, just like early 90s the club scene is better than its been in years (much more underground though- and the drugs are not as good- at least the pills - the c is much more :evil: )

Leaving Jon behind? ;) :lol:

With a bit of luck ;)

I'm a part qualified accountant so ideally I'd like to get a half decent job out there, for six or 12 months. The plan is to work abroad first for a period of time then travel through the Americas for a year afterwards. So the country needs to be somewhere near there and English speaking. Canada might be a good bet.

Utuguara: where's nice in Canada to live.... that's not toooo cold?! :eek::lol:

Gotta be Toronto.

As for living abroad, as utagaura will agree, it's an unforgettable experience. I've learned so much about the world and myself over the past 13 years, it's immeasurable. Really understanding different cultures is something you can't do from books, the press or even a couple of visits. But when you do reach a certain level of understanding about other cultures, it allows you to better evaluate (sometimes criticize, sometimes defend) your own and, I think, to better appreciate other cultures and countries you come across.

Obviously, it's a lot easier to go to places like the US or Canada, but I'd advise getting more out of your comfort zone. You're young so learning new languages isn't so hard. Teaching English, working as a copy editor (law firms, brokerage houses, etc), or trying to work in the overseas office of an accounting firm (start with big 4, then look at 2nd tier)... there are plenty of options out there.

US work visas are difficult to get these days, from what I hear. I have a Canadian friend who's been working and getting paid 'under the table' (but real corporate work, not waiting tables), but those kinds of jobs are usually built on acquaintances.

If you want to be somewhere English-speaking, Canada sounds like a good bet. My problem living in places like Canada, New Zealand and Australia would be the lack of opportunities for side travel as they're both just so far from anything. Well, except the US in Canada's case so I guess that'd be good for you.

My first thoughts...

With a bit of luck ;)

I'm a part qualified accountant so ideally I'd like to get a half decent job out there, for six or 12 months. The plan is to work abroad first for a period of time then travel through the Americas for a year afterwards. So the country needs to be somewhere near there and English speaking. Canada might be a good bet.

If you want non-cold... you should go to Vancouver (or even Victoria, on Vancouver island...but it's a much smaller city).

Toronto and Montreal still get pretty cold in the winter, but are better for for traveling to places you want to go to,like New York. If you go further east of Toronto/ Montreal and get to the Maritimes, it is very pretty , but not many jobs.

However, west coast offers something completely different.... and traveling from Vancouver through British Columbia to Alberta has some pretty amazing scenery. Lots to do in summer and winter.

And, in the summer, in the southern part of British Columbia, temperatures regularly hit the 40s. So it can be very hot. I was there a couple of weeks ago and was mountain biking in 43 degrees. :eek:

And, although I always complain, about the centre, where I'm from as unfortunately it gets a bad rap as a conservative red-neck sort of place.. I don't actually know anyone like that, it does get cold (can get down to minus 40), but can get hotter than places like Vancouver in the summer.

And, I'm near the mountains, (Alberta) which is good if you like that sort of stuff! ;) So I'm not in the centre-centre like Saskatchewan or Manitoba (thank god!!):lol:, I still have easy access to mountains and all that healthy outdoorsy stuff....but it is severely lacking in any decent ngihtlife.

Even though Vancouver is a decent sized city, it has a more laidback feel than Toronto / Montreal..and it all depends on personal preference. I'd say Montreal and Toronto have a more cosmopolitan feel, but it's still Canada, so not (IMO) 100% cosmopolitan.

For a while, and still right now, where I live, Alberta still has better job opportunities than other parts of Canada, and often they pay better too ... and there is no provincial tax, so things are generally cheaper.

BUT, I wouldn't recomment moving here, although surprisingly, I've met people who've moved here for a short amount of time and say everyone is very friendly bla bla bla... but I think those people are more content with not going out as much as I do.

Have you been to Australia? I've lived there and been a fe times, and if I was going to pick anywhere to live, I'd pick Sydney. I just love it! I've lived there and been back quite a few times to visit.....and NO minus 40 in the winter! ;)

Also, I echo what Morbyd said about Canada/ Australia in that they are big for side trips...and far away from many places.. but, there are still enough opportunities for so many weekend trips in those areas within the country.

When I lived in Japan for eg, I would go on long weekends to Korea, Hong Kong etc as well as many travels in Japan just because it was so accessible and not too far away.

I worked in Alaska unloading Salmon fishing boats and on the ''Slime line'' proccessing them.
Hard work though.

Also used to sell bootleg T Shirts at rock concerts in the US.
Kept getting put in jail though.

Wouldn't really recommend either.

Australia will give you a 2 year working visa if you are ubder 26.

I worked in Alaska unloading Salmon fishing boats and on the ''Slime line'' proccessing them.
Hard work though.

Also used to sell bootleg T Shirts at rock concerts in the US.
Kept getting put in jail though.

Wouldn't really recommend either.

Australia will give you a 2 year working visa if you are ubder 26.

actually it's under 31 now... same for NZ!

Edited to add:

You can apply up to a year in advance of entering the country.

I applied for my New Zealand one 3 days before I turned 31. (so still 30 years old). Then didn't arrive in NZ until nearly 6 months later. Then I had two years upon arrival in the country to stay and work.

(The visa says 18-30...but that means all the way until you turn 31... could be the day before)

Then you have a year to enter the country. Then you can have a 2 year visa. So essentially.. you could be 32/33.. almost 34 when you leave if you don't apply until you are almost 31 and then go a year after and then stay 2 years.

Same goes for Australia, if you want to stay for 2 years you used to have to do 3months of rural work during your first year to get the 2 year vs one year visa, but not sure if that's the same now.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually it's under 31 now... same for NZ!

Edited to add:

You can apply up to a year in advance of entering the country.

I applied for my New Zealand one 3 days before I turned 31. (so still 30 years old). Then didn't arrive in NZ until nearly 6 months later. Then I had two years upon arrival in the country to stay and work.

(The visa says 18-30...but that means all the way until you turn 31... could be the day before)

Then you have a year to enter the country. Then you can have a 2 year visa. So essentially.. you could be 32/33.. almost 34 when you leave if you don't apply until you are almost 31 and then go a year after and then stay 2 years.

Same goes for Australia, if you want to stay for 2 years you used to have to do 3months of rural work during your first year to get the 2 year vs one year visa, but not sure if that's the same now.[/QUOTE]

That is correct, a colleague of mine went out last October, she has had to do strawberry picking to stay for another year (she hated it)

That is correct, a colleague of mine went out last October, she has had to do strawberry picking to stay for another year (she hated it)
:lol:
That's brilliant! Young migrant Brits and Canadians as cheap farm labor. :lol:
You are like the Mexicans of Australia!

Hard work though.

Errrmmmmm..... not quite sure I'm cut out for Alaskan fishing :eek: :lol:

Well at least I've got a few years to consider working in Australia then. Or maybe Canada.... we'll see! It wont be happening for another year yet anyway, but good to plan ahead :)

:lol:
That's brilliant! Young migrant Brits and Canadians as cheap farm labor. :lol:
You are like the Mexicans of Australia!

She did tell me she actually only lasted a week and then paid off a farmer to say that she had worked for 3 months!

She did tell me she actually only lasted a week and then paid off a farmer to say that she had worked for 3 months!
So, let me get this straight. She worked for a week picking strawberries.... and then SHE paid the farmer? :lol:
Migrant labor that pays you. A brilliant scheme!

So, let me get this straight. She worked for a week picking strawberries.... and then SHE paid the farmer? :lol:
Migrant labor that pays you. A brilliant scheme!

Yeah something along those lines! She paid him to say she had done the strawberry picking as apparantly thats one of the jobs you have to do to warrant you staying longer.

Shes met an Ozzie guy now though :lol:

Back