Hotel discussion thread [2020/2021/2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant believe how much the hotels have put the prices up ( I know trying make money back but wtf ) got 14 nights & flights & hotel for me misses & kid £1550 ( booked in January) now the hotel alone for 14 nights is £2350 & flights £900🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have checked my historical Ibiza flights and hotels for June through August. Jet2 flights were looking very expensive in January for June or August flying but now they look approx the same price as they were in 2016 (flying from Manchester).

Hotel prices - Mare Nostrum in Bosa and Ocean Beach are flat for the Mare Nostrum but 30% higher for the Ocean Beach which, says alot about the direction of travel for San Antonio.

I can't go to Ibiza this year but what I also found with the Canaries this year is that Airlines and Hotels (4 star plus and 5 star) went in on the deep end price wise on December bookings for the 2022 holiday season (Easter to November) and some of them are now heavily discounting. I was able to switch my hotel deals but i got shafted on the flights because i booked too early.

I've just arrived back from 2 weeks on Ibiza. Most hotels were opening for the season whilst I was there, with Wednesday 13th being a main opening day.

Last year I spent 13 days in one hotel, which was a bit monotone. This year I wanted to try several different places, and changed hotels every 2 or three days. Since the main purpose of the holiday was cycling I stayed in the San An area all the time.

There were a few days (typically before the 13th, and over the weekends) when prices were ridiculous. I have about 8 weeks holiday each year, and can't afford to spend 8 weeks in 150 euro a night hotels. ;)

One advantage of switching hotels is that the holiday seems to last forever. There are constantly new impressions and experiences.

Here goes:

WEST END-ish:

One thing that always baffles me is how hotels look completely different IRL than in the pics online. Hotels, in particular in the shabbier parts of towns, are almost always must worse IRL than online. Hostal Rosell Boutique is a small hotel in the upper parts of the West End that distinguises itself by being exactly like the pics online. 🧐 It really is as modern, delicate and feminine as the pics indicate. It's recently been completely refurbished, with the exception of a few doors and the light fittings in the stairway. There's no garden, no pool and no views from the lower floors - just a small hotel with a small and rather dull bar/lounge area. But who visits San An to spend more than 1-2 hours + the sleeping hours at the hotel anyway? I would definitely recommend this place if you want a nice and quiet place in crawling distance from the West End.

Hotel Tarba is one of those places that gets good reviews, a bit of attention, and a lot of visitors. The bar has 5 comfortable chairs and a good atmosphere. I spent a few hours here reading and drinking wine whilst watching the rain pouring down outside. The hotel has a somewhat cramped pool, a sun bathing deck and a small garden with plastic grass - which we can't complain too much about at a hotel in this price range. Any pool and garden is a bonus. The main problem are the rather outdated rooms. They could do with a refurbishment.

FUNFACT: 4 days before arriving at Hotel Tarba I received an email from Booking.com informing me that I must pay a deposit of Euro 100 when checking in. The deposit must be payed by credit card. The deposit would be returned to me within 7 days once the hotel (not just the room) had been checked for damages. :oops: But when I checked in no one asked for a deposit. I guess I didn't look the type.

Part 2 later.

The BAY:

Hotel Vibra s'Estanyol
comes across as the perfect mid-range place to stay. It's on the beach, has a fancy pool, the interior looks fresh and refurbished in the pics, and being in the Bay area there's surely no chance of bumping into stag dos. What you find out only upon arrival is that this hotel is basically an accommodation block to the somewhat fancier hotel next door. You feel like you're living in the B section. Imagine waking up with a massive hangover and desperate for a coffee or tea. You have to walk outside, facemasked and in the rain, to the hotel next door to get satisfaction.

The interior has received a coat of paint, but the bathrooms and fitting are showing their age. It's worth a stay, but only if you stock up on ice coffee and ice tea the day before, and get a room with a view over the Bay, not a view over the dump on the wrong side of the hotel. The dump does however have it's attractions, like the free ranging chickens and the cats chasing rodents. Also, the young Brits with strong regional accents staying at the hotel were all well behaved.

The fancier hotel next door has a nice bar and lounge area, and puts on entertainment which timewise is perfect before going out on town.

There are however no redeeming features at Can Jurat. Again, this is basically an accommodation block to the somewhat fancier hotel next door, Hostal Anibal. Although fancy is stretching it a bit. Both places are standardwise way below anwhere else I've stayed on Ibiza. There was no air condition and not heating possibilites at Can Jurat (which is needed in April when it rains). It's either open the window or no fresh air. There was also no TV, which is probably the only somewhat redeeming feature of this place. Who watches TV when on Ibiza?

The hotel has received a coat of paint, and a colour scheme that really makes it look cheap. It would have been better to paint the interior only white, and instead use the money on other/any furniture than the trash that was in the room.

In this area of mediocre and disappointing places to stay, Hotel Puchet comes across as a mid range and pleasant place to stay. It's rather modern, has a nice pool, ample outdoor areas and a gym (although no free weights). However the bar and lounge area was a disappointment. It's all very plastic and sterile with not a single comfortable chair. I'm sure the interior architect won an award for this place. No wonder the bar and lounge area was deserted just about all the time. It's still worth a stay, if you're not dependant on a drink in the bar before going out.

SUNSET STRIP

I think Hotel Abrat counts as being on the strip. It really was the perfect place on this stay. Fortunately I had 3 days here. The hotel was packed with mid-life crisis cyclists competing in the mountain bike races, and eating a ton of meat and no carbs at the buffet. So basically people like myself.

Everything is more than good enough without being over the top or ridiculously expensive. The pool, sun deck, pool room and bar, roof top terrace, and the views over the sea hits the sweet spot of expectations in all categories. The interior is getting rather dated, and although the rooms have been refurbished most of the older fittings remain. It's mid range, so no complaining.

The garden is the perfect place to wean off the hangover whilst trying but failing to feel sorry for oneself. I will be back to this place.

Playa Sol I in Es Viver (opposite Jabeque) won't open this year as, due to the ridiculous prices to rent somewhere to stay, the Vibra hotel chain will have it for their staff :!:

A new story to tell: GRAND PARADISO
View attachment 11704
Opening Summer 2022
Grand Paradiso is a project dedicated to audio-visual art in all its forms: cinema, short film, video clips... It’s a universe that pays homage to the seventh art, and its most inspiring representatives (for Concept), provide the names for its three grand suites: Almódovar, David Lynch and Wes Anderson. The other rooms will be named after international audio-visual artists, and there is a cinema where we will show films and documentaries and a gallery where the works of different artists will be exhibited on screens. A place where pastel colours, Art Deco (in its most classic and elegant version) and hedonism converge in the heart of San Antonio bay.
Lobby
First impressions count (a lot), so that's why we have eliminated the typical hotel reception area.
The lobby is the hotel’s meeting point, and we want to make the checkin process a much warmer moment where the guest feels comfortable.
There’s a 70s jukebox and a small table where you can sit down in peace and quiet while sipping on a cocktail. Being formal isn’t our style and we want that first impression to reflect our irreverent personality.

Hall
A striking hall is a hotel’s best calling card. This space will have a sofa in the shape of a snake crossing the room that will, as Madonna said, cause a commotion. An open space that will become the perfect meeting point before watching a film in our cinema or having a drink on the rooftop at sunset.

Galería
In the contemporary art gallery, works by international audio-visual artists will be shown in temporary exhibitions. We want the art interventions held in the hotel to be visual experiences that take our senses to the next level, becoming stimulating memories that you’ll strongly desire to relive.

Restaurante
An elegant restaurant with a bar that can serve both inside the hotel and outside in the swimming pool area. A space where art, gastronomy and music merge into a single concept that sums them up perfectly.

Pool Area
Another of the hotel’s strong points is the pool area, which aims to be the resurgence of the American Dolce Vita. There will be a DJ booth in the shape of a classic Miami beach hut, taking its cue from Paradiso’s booth. The lower part will be set up for the DJ and the upper part will be used for performances. There’ll also be a backstage with a circular sofa with capacity for about 20 people that runs around the booth.

Caduzzi
The hotel’s jaw-dropper, just like the Zero Suite in Paradiso or the chapel in Romeo's, will be a pink Cadillac Eldorado, fitted out as a Jacuzzi, called: THE CADUZZI

Cinema
One of the hotel's biggest highlights is a classic cinema located in its interior (with red velvet seats and small tables with individual lamps) which is the best homage possible to the seventh art. A small temple for cinephiles that will show movies in their original language, documentary seasons… etc

The Top Bar
The hotel's rooftop is the place for enjoying a long drink while watching the sunset. Alongside the bar is the DJ booth and a small stage for performances.

Suites
If you wanna sleep in a superb hotel you don't have to go to the Bellagio in Las Vegas (Ocean's Eleven), the Beverly Wilshire in Los Angeles (Pretty Woman), or the Park Hyatt in Tokyo (Lost in Translation).
GRAND PARADISO’s rooms are perceived as a continuation of PARADISO’s rooms, while being more luxurious and slightly more classical in style. Conceptual details include: a “Frame TV” showing the audio-visual works of the artist whose name is on the room door, a book with content related to the artist, a framed picture with a poster of their work and the classic Marshall speakers and SMEG fridge that are now Concept’s hallmarks.

Grand Suites
The three frontal Grand Suites will have a Jacuzzi as a highlight.
As a novelty, all the room’s lighting will include a disco ball with various moods: Disco, Party, Sexy...the guest will be able to choose according to the moment he/she is in.

Venice Bay Court
For the walkway between Paradiso and Grand Paradiso we are planning a multifunctional space like in Venice Beach, which will be both a place to play sports and a social meeting point.
We will take care of both the sports facilities (open-air gym, a colourful basketball court for pick-up games) and a leisure area with food trucks and a stage for live performances.

Grand Paradiso will open on August 1st :!:

Marc Rahola reveals that OD Group will open a Ryans in San Antonio in 2023:

As previously mentioned, he's now partner at Concept Hotel Group.
Last night Marc Rahola was the guest at "Unas hierbas con..." in Ebusus Sociedad Cultural. The interview has been uploaded at their Youtube channel. He revealed that in 2023 Concept Hotel Group will open a hotel in Santa Eulalia: Mongibello :!:

Hotel prices seem to have rocketed this year. Appreciate places are trying to recoup money from the last 2 years, but many places seem to have doubled their prices.

Currently looking for somewhere for one night in late May due to a flight change (thanks BA!) before we move to a villa with friends and a lot of our usual favourites are £300+ per night. In May! Not sure if we’re also being penalised for only booking for one night.

Hotel prices seem to have rocketed this year. Appreciate places are trying to recoup money from the last 2 years, but many places seem to have doubled their prices.

Currently looking for somewhere for one night in late May due to a flight change (thanks BA!) before we move to a villa with friends and a lot of our usual favourites are £300+ per night. In May! Not sure if we’re also being penalised for only booking for one night.
Email Migjorn. I know you've stayed there before, they were reasonable when we asked to extend our trip by one day.

Probably wouldn’t stay there again during the school holidays as it was rammed with noisy kids last time.
Frantically checks school term dates....and we're ok...phew! This the last thing we would want for a cheeky weekend away child free...

Frantically checks school term dates....and we're ok...phew! This the last thing we would want for a cheeky weekend away child free...

Phew! I’ve stayed there twice - the first time was during IMS in 2019, so just before the school holiday. Hardly any kids and any pre-school kids there were well behaved or quiet.

August was a different story. Loads of kids screaming and bored parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back