HIPPY MARKET

Robder

Is there a market worth going to??
I didn't really like the one in Es Cana...too many tourists on Thompson excursions.
Is this because I went on the wrong day?
Are the others pretty much the same? Or how are they different?

not the same

definitely give Las Dalias at San Carles on a Saturday a go - theoretically it's the original hippy market and good buys in clothes, leather and jewelry are available as well as a chance to get high as a kite(allegedly) by visiting some of the inner sanctums
IMAG0007.JPG

Hippy Market - Punta Arabi

A visit to the famous Hippy Market on the grounds of the holiday club Punta Arabí in Es Cana, near Santa Eulalia, held every Wednesday (from may to october) from 10.00 - 19.00 hrs., is a must. At the market you have an enormous variety to choose from: the most exotic batik wraps and clothing to tailor-made leather mocassins and an tantalising variety of east-asian silver jewellry and trinkets. If you look around you can still find some of the original hippies, although most of them have grey hair by now! Like a time-warp back to the 1970s. Every Wednesday.

AND

Hippy Market - Las Dalias

In San Carlos in the North-East, set in the grounds of a restaurant, this weekly market continues in Saturdays throughout the year. Many consider it to be a more original and traditional alternative to the larger Wednesday market at Es Caná. Wonderful selection of handmade clothes and jewellery, you can be sure to find that little something for everyone. Open until late in summer, 'til 18.00 in winter, every Saturday

punta arabi

be careful of dodgy goods, pickpockets, shell sharks and HEAT AND TRAFFIC if you go in the middle of the day

yep and street vendors wth hidden agendas...and fat ladies tying a knot around your thumb with some hair and charge you 5 Euro!

Robo said:
Hippy Market - Punta Arabi

A visit to the famous Hippy Market on the grounds of the holiday club Punta Arabí in Es Cana, near Santa Eulalia, held every Wednesday (from may to october) from 10.00 - 19.00 hrs., is a must. At the market you have an enormous variety to choose from: the most exotic batik wraps and clothing to tailor-made leather mocassins and an tantalising variety of east-asian silver jewellry and trinkets. If you look around you can still find some of the original hippies, although most of them have grey hair by now! Like a time-warp back to the 1970s. Every Wednesday.

Punta Arabi = San Antony for german rednecks :!:

I think the Hippie Market in Punta Arabi is overcrowded :!:

Ibiza-girlie said:
yep and street vendors wth hidden agendas...and fat ladies tying a knot around your thumb with some hair and charge you 5 Euro!

Similar thing happened to me when i was in Malaga except it was of piece of pine tree, tried to tie it round my neck and charge me... :confused: Kept saying, "it lucky, it lucky!" Bloody anoying that was! :x

i bought a fake calvin klein belt from a hippy market about 4 years ago. i still use it to this day. it might be fake but it was good :D

i wouldnt mind going to another market

Es Cana - full of cheap tat, and nothing you wont see anywhere else on the island, but still well worth a few hours to go and see.

I really think the "quality" of goods is better at Las Dalias but each to their own - why not try both and report back on here. Both have ripoff merchants for car parking - at least 3 euros - but for Dalias, if you drive past the market towards San Carles you will find free roadside parking in about 300/400mtrs. Las Dalias also has better food and a great bar.

Back