Help for an old lady

Tony

A couple of months ago I started getting emails from a lady in Palm Beach USA who was desparate for two things and despite trying, I have been unable to help - BUT I AM SURE YOU CLEVER LOCALS OR THOSE ON HOLIDAY FROM THE USA CAN HELP!!
1. Mimi used to live on the island for a few years around 1970 and would love a photo of her old house if still there:-
" I do not have an address for the old palace apartment at the top of the hill - you go through a couple of huge wooden doors - and up some stone steps and it must have been part of the harem - there was a bath there but only a cold water tap and is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill. I was as fit as a fiddle at the end of the season! I couldn't make that hill today I'm afraid - It was so lively staying in the Alta Delta cos everyone who was anyone would stroll around at night - also I used to play chess with Elmir de Hory - the guy that Orson made a film about called "F for Fake" - written by Clifford Irving who fell in love with his subject and got up to some shenannikins himself by faking a biography of Howard Hughes.
2. The sellers of the baskets are camped out in the street - not in a shop!!!! It is completely without decoration with two hemp shoulder handles made completely of straw raffia - when you see the natives carrying something - it will probably be in such a basket.
I'll just live in hopes - the market is in the old town at the base of the hill before you turn left for San Miguel - but my memory may be off. Bon Viaje - Mimi.
If you do manage to get a basket for me - I shall pay postage and a propina of $25 above costs. My original basket was something like $17. You could use it on the journey home and then have it packaged and mailed by one of those professional packing shops.
Is Don Pollo still serving half a chicken and fries on the queue in the street - he must be rolling in dough by now or dead - he made a slave of his little daughter who always served me - but she has to be 50 by now!!!!!! But he really was called DON POLLO - cos that's all he served!!!!! half a chicken for 60 Pesetas!!!
IMAG0001.JPG

If anyone can help, I have Mimi's address, email address and phone number in the USA.
Come on McRackin, this should be easy for a man of your talents :rolleyes:

McRackin

Nine hours without a response - you usually return a piccy in nine seconds - have I beaten you at last :?:

Tony said:
is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill

i suppose that hill was dalt vila but how on earth can i find information about alta delta or don pollo nowadays? we are talking about 1970!! :rolleyes:

THE MAIN QUESTION IS A PICCY OF HER OLD HOUSE, NOT THOSE WHO WERE AROUND AT THE TIME - sorry, just noticed caps lock was on - are there not enough clues to find it?

ok - I will email her and say even the oracle is defeated - must admit I couldn't fathom it out - just thought it might be a challenge for you :rolleyes:

Thanks for those - I have sent them off and asked her for more clues as there is this nutty photographer on the island that loves a challenge ;)

Tony said:
A couple of months ago I started getting emails from a lady in Palm Beach USA who was desparate for two things and despite trying, I have been unable to help - BUT I AM SURE YOU CLEVER LOCALS OR THOSE ON HOLIDAY FROM THE USA CAN HELP!!
1. Mimi used to live on the island for a few years around 1970 and would love a photo of her old house if still there:-
" I do not have an address for the old palace apartment at the top of the hill - you go through a couple of huge wooden doors - and up some stone steps and it must have been part of the harem - there was a bath there but only a cold water tap and is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill. I was as fit as a fiddle at the end of the season! I couldn't make that hill today I'm afraid - It was so lively staying in the Alta Delta cos everyone who was anyone would stroll around at night - also I used to play chess with Elmir de Hory - the guy that Orson made a film about called "F for Fake" - written by Clifford Irving who fell in love with his subject and got up to some shenannikins himself by faking a biography of Howard Hughes.
2. The sellers of the baskets are camped out in the street - not in a shop!!!! It is completely without decoration with two hemp shoulder handles made completely of straw raffia - when you see the natives carrying something - it will probably be in such a basket.
I'll just live in hopes - the market is in the old town at the base of the hill before you turn left for San Miguel - but my memory may be off. Bon Viaje - Mimi.
If you do manage to get a basket for me - I shall pay postage and a propina of $25 above costs. My original basket was something like $17. You could use it on the journey home and then have it packaged and mailed by one of those professional packing shops.
Is Don Pollo still serving half a chicken and fries on the queue in the street - he must be rolling in dough by now or dead - he made a slave of his little daughter who always served me - but she has to be 50 by now!!!!!! But he really was called DON POLLO - cos that's all he served!!!!! half a chicken for 60 Pesetas!!!
IMAG0001.JPG

If anyone can help, I have Mimi's address, email address and phone number in the USA.
Come on McRackin, this should be easy for a man of your talents :rolleyes:

Hi Tony, if I understood ok your message, she wants a new basket. Right, I don't know if you could find the place where she got hers, but I don't think it will be difficult to find one similar as they are quite common in the balearics and around Spain. Just need to find the right traditional shop.

Tony said:
Thanks for those - I have sent them off and asked her for more clues as there is this nutty photographer on the island that loves a challenge

a nutty photographer? :eek:

images

McNutty :p

hey McRackin

more clues for you -
One major clue I forgot to mention. My "flat" if you will - was a portion of the Old Moorish Palace at the top of the hill there overlooking the town- we assumed it was part of the harem - cos there was a water tap for cold water only AND THE PLACE WAS BUILT LIKE A FORTRESS AT THE TOP OF THE HILL - It wasn't one of the little hole in the wall houses as you walk up . There were no windows as such - just wooden shutters and loads of mosquitoes - that bombed you all night. But at least I was able to take a bath - I never cooked up there - cos there was no fridge and the butter would have run down the hill before I could ever get it to the house!

Back