Help for an old lady

Tony

A couple of months ago I started getting emails from a lady in Palm Beach USA who was desparate for two things and despite trying, I have been unable to help - BUT I AM SURE YOU CLEVER LOCALS OR THOSE ON HOLIDAY FROM THE USA CAN HELP!!
1. Mimi used to live on the island for a few years around 1970 and would love a photo of her old house if still there:-
" I do not have an address for the old palace apartment at the top of the hill - you go through a couple of huge wooden doors - and up some stone steps and it must have been part of the harem - there was a bath there but only a cold water tap and is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill. I was as fit as a fiddle at the end of the season! I couldn't make that hill today I'm afraid - It was so lively staying in the Alta Delta cos everyone who was anyone would stroll around at night - also I used to play chess with Elmir de Hory - the guy that Orson made a film about called "F for Fake" - written by Clifford Irving who fell in love with his subject and got up to some shenannikins himself by faking a biography of Howard Hughes.
2. The sellers of the baskets are camped out in the street - not in a shop!!!! It is completely without decoration with two hemp shoulder handles made completely of straw raffia - when you see the natives carrying something - it will probably be in such a basket.
I'll just live in hopes - the market is in the old town at the base of the hill before you turn left for San Miguel - but my memory may be off. Bon Viaje - Mimi.
If you do manage to get a basket for me - I shall pay postage and a propina of $25 above costs. My original basket was something like $17. You could use it on the journey home and then have it packaged and mailed by one of those professional packing shops.
Is Don Pollo still serving half a chicken and fries on the queue in the street - he must be rolling in dough by now or dead - he made a slave of his little daughter who always served me - but she has to be 50 by now!!!!!! But he really was called DON POLLO - cos that's all he served!!!!! half a chicken for 60 Pesetas!!!
IMAG0001.JPG

If anyone can help, I have Mimi's address, email address and phone number in the USA.
Come on McRackin, this should be easy for a man of your talents :rolleyes:

Tony

McRackin

Nine hours without a response - you usually return a piccy in nine seconds - have I beaten you at last :?:

McRackin

Super Moderator
Tony said:
is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill

i suppose that hill was dalt vila but how on earth can i find information about alta delta or don pollo nowadays? we are talking about 1970!! :rolleyes:

Tony

THE MAIN QUESTION IS A PICCY OF HER OLD HOUSE, NOT THOSE WHO WERE AROUND AT THE TIME - sorry, just noticed caps lock was on - are there not enough clues to find it?

Tony

ok - I will email her and say even the oracle is defeated - must admit I couldn't fathom it out - just thought it might be a challenge for you :rolleyes:

Tony

Thanks for those - I have sent them off and asked her for more clues as there is this nutty photographer on the island that loves a challenge ;)

silvia

Tony said:
A couple of months ago I started getting emails from a lady in Palm Beach USA who was desparate for two things and despite trying, I have been unable to help - BUT I AM SURE YOU CLEVER LOCALS OR THOSE ON HOLIDAY FROM THE USA CAN HELP!!
1. Mimi used to live on the island for a few years around 1970 and would love a photo of her old house if still there:-
" I do not have an address for the old palace apartment at the top of the hill - you go through a couple of huge wooden doors - and up some stone steps and it must have been part of the harem - there was a bath there but only a cold water tap and is opposite Ivan Spence"s Gallery at the top of the hill. I was as fit as a fiddle at the end of the season! I couldn't make that hill today I'm afraid - It was so lively staying in the Alta Delta cos everyone who was anyone would stroll around at night - also I used to play chess with Elmir de Hory - the guy that Orson made a film about called "F for Fake" - written by Clifford Irving who fell in love with his subject and got up to some shenannikins himself by faking a biography of Howard Hughes.
2. The sellers of the baskets are camped out in the street - not in a shop!!!! It is completely without decoration with two hemp shoulder handles made completely of straw raffia - when you see the natives carrying something - it will probably be in such a basket.
I'll just live in hopes - the market is in the old town at the base of the hill before you turn left for San Miguel - but my memory may be off. Bon Viaje - Mimi.
If you do manage to get a basket for me - I shall pay postage and a propina of $25 above costs. My original basket was something like $17. You could use it on the journey home and then have it packaged and mailed by one of those professional packing shops.
Is Don Pollo still serving half a chicken and fries on the queue in the street - he must be rolling in dough by now or dead - he made a slave of his little daughter who always served me - but she has to be 50 by now!!!!!! But he really was called DON POLLO - cos that's all he served!!!!! half a chicken for 60 Pesetas!!!
IMAG0001.JPG

If anyone can help, I have Mimi's address, email address and phone number in the USA.
Come on McRackin, this should be easy for a man of your talents :rolleyes:

Hi Tony, if I understood ok your message, she wants a new basket. Right, I don't know if you could find the place where she got hers, but I don't think it will be difficult to find one similar as they are quite common in the balearics and around Spain. Just need to find the right traditional shop.

McRackin

Super Moderator
Tony said:
Thanks for those - I have sent them off and asked her for more clues as there is this nutty photographer on the island that loves a challenge

a nutty photographer? :eek:

images

McNutty :p

Tony

hey McRackin

more clues for you -
One major clue I forgot to mention. My "flat" if you will - was a portion of the Old Moorish Palace at the top of the hill there overlooking the town- we assumed it was part of the harem - cos there was a water tap for cold water only AND THE PLACE WAS BUILT LIKE A FORTRESS AT THE TOP OF THE HILL - It wasn't one of the little hole in the wall houses as you walk up . There were no windows as such - just wooden shutters and loads of mosquitoes - that bombed you all night. But at least I was able to take a bath - I never cooked up there - cos there was no fridge and the butter would have run down the hill before I could ever get it to the house!