Hello - Back from LA...

Also, what's the best places to go shopping? With the dollar as weak as it is, would it be worth my while waiting until I'm there to get a couple of things I had my beady eye on (eg new sandals)?

Hey Buckster!

Glad you had a good time in the Motherland. Spot on about baseball :lol:

As an East coast native, I find the left coast to be an entirely odd place (Seattle and LA especially... quite liked San Diego). It's another world out there, isn't it?!

Yeah the veiws are great especially in Arizona and the grand canyon Sedona is my favorite place in the world for veiws.Probably a while drive for you.If its clubbing your after in America stick to the eastcoast!!west tend to be a lil behind when it comes to partying your style.

quite liked San Diego

That's because I live there.:lol:

BTW, you once mentioned that you lived in VA for a long time. I was in Hot Springs, VA a couple of months back. I stayed at the Homestead. This part of VA is so very different from the parts near DC where my maternal relatives reside. Hot Springs is a very beautiful part of VA.

3. Americans can´t do clubbing. Avalon in L.A. is like Pacha London only much less cool. Any Londoner´s think that was possible?:lol: San Fran´s Ruby Skye is similarly naff.

Next time, (or for anyone else wanting to get some quality clubbing in LA), please check out the Vanguard. Much better than the Avalon =) Def not on par w/ the UK, but better =)

Next time, (or for anyone else wanting to get some quality clubbing in LA), please check out the Vanguard. Much better than the Avalon =) Def not on par w/ the UK, but better =)

Yeah, to be fair, a Californian friend of mine here in London did send me details of more underground stuff, but the time I saw her mail, I'd already called in a couple of favours of guestlist for the clubs mentioned and didn't like to eschew the transatlantic efforts that had been made form in favour of her advice.

Clara,

Go to go here for sushi in LA: http://www.katanarobata.com/katana/ My friend and I ate constantly for three hours (yes, I did come home American-sized!:lol:) and had two good bottles of wine for $300 and that included a sizeable tip. So, at current exchange rate 75 quid a head for brilliant food, brilliant service and lots of good booze in really good suroundings. We couldn´t get a table on a Saturday, but did on a Monday so book up. Even on the Monday it was busy.

I´ll post more when I get a chance later. Got to put a suit on and go to a meeting for the first time in a month!

...Vegas ... is a bit samey ...
five years ago and while it´s fine for those really into gambling,
if you´re not it´s get´s a bit much after a few days.
vegas has changed a lot in these 5 years - actually it´s quite different.
a lot of the original "vegasfeeling" is lost because of
dumbassmotherfukcingstupiduglycrapsoullessnogambling-highrisebuildings
and the de-theming or even the demolition of hotels which made vegas big.

the nightlife has improved a lot - maybe meanwhile it has the biggest concentration
of "superclubs" of any city in the world ?! and the chicks are extremely hot,
especially at one of those poolparties like rehab.

at the moment you can get some good bargains because the economy over there is
in a very heavy crisis, hotel occupancy falling, conventions leaving,
many buildingprojects deleted or stopped ...

Clara,

Go to go here for sushi in LA: http://www.katanarobata.com/katana/ My friend and I ate constantly for three hours (yes, I did come home American-sized!:lol:) and had two good bottles of wine for $300 and that included a sizeable tip. So, at current exchange rate 75 quid a head for brilliant food, brilliant service and lots of good booze in really good suroundings. We couldn´t get a table on a Saturday, but did on a Monday so book up. Even on the Monday it was busy.

I´ll post more when I get a chance later. Got to put a suit on and go to a meeting for the first time in a month!

Cheers Buckley - I do love my sushi! :lol:

What are average drink and food prices like in Vegas, San Francisco and LA? I'd imagine it'll vary substantially but will it seem cheaper, what with the exchange rate as it is?

Rather excited now!

2587243540_9088b1b567.jpg

Whoo hoo!

Buckley - my other half and I are doing the West Coast next month, hiring a convertible and starting at Las Vegas via Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, LA, San Diego and lots in between.

What places would you really recommend, as in bars, restaurants, beaches, clubs...?

Back yet Clara?

My hubby, the jammy devil, is out working in San Diego this week at Comic-con. Wouldnt mind but we had just returned from a fly drive to the east coast of the US, which I have fallen in love with. We visited St Augustine Fl, Myrtle Beach SC, Savannah Ga, and back to out old haunt Orlando for the last few days. Two weeks later I flew out with friends for a week in Ibiza and then I got home and 6 days later hes flying out!

I visited California years ago and found LA soul less, but theres just something about the East Coast that has that whole Southern thing going on, accents an all, love em! :oops:

Back yet Clara?

Aye and it was awesome. Actually went to the Las Vegas version of the sushi restaurant you recommended which was so good, and saw the one in LA too.

Probably my favourite holiday of all time (yes, even better than Ibiza...just!) and did so much. Everything seemed so cheap due to the exchange rate so we bought so many clothes - Calvin Klein and Armani seemed especially reasonable.

Absolutely fell in love with San Francisco and had a good time around Venice Beach too.

Hey Clara.

I love Venice too... best part (perhaps, only redeeming part) of LA. And I concur about the cheapness of the States these days. And I loved San Fran too although I was definitely too young to fully appreciate it when I was there.

Still never made it to Vegas. Definitely on my list.

Back