Have you heard that the rumour......

Buckley

...that Fergal Sharkey is writing a song about Bernard Manning?

Personally I think it's got racist undertones.

"I believe in reincarnation. My mum believes
that her granddad or someone came back as a
bumble bee" - Jade Goody

plagerised from Popbitch.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Theres a fergal sharky song I absolutely love but I can't remember the name of it.

I used to play it every week when I was doing this pub gig.

Thatsss the oneeeee. Thats my "it's not gonna get any better tonite dick head" song for that particular pub.

Because it was such a diverse crowd sometimes we could have young and old having fun together and **** like that. I would pull out retro and mix commercial house and dance into it, then like, deeper **** at 2am, (Closed at 3),or even trance, in a pub, and ****ing, when ever you'd get the typical bar crowd who were always really, retarded and would crap on about "we came to a ****ing bar not a night club ya ****", no matter what you'd play you could never get a decent reaction because of course, you're a Dj, your not respected. The band tho, its always ok for the band even tho they were a cover band and always just played everyone elses songs with the drums pre recorded and playing off a laptop in pretty much the exact same order every week, that was always ok.... But to have anyone do something musically creative with a song, well, ****... Heavens above. ... And so I'd play ****ing, Fergal Sharkey and there would always be 1 or 2 young people who would say "You don't want to be at this gig do you?" or a middle aged women. They were always so kind and understanding when they'd see you play there music and could just tell you were wasting away playing it.

But then you'd get your lucky nights, like when the Brazillian tourists came :lol:

God I hope I never have to hear that ****ing Good Heart song again.

In my opinion that's the job of a DJ.....to play to the crowd that they have in front of them, not to play the DJs style of music. I like to play to a mixed aged crowd as you get to experiment with different styles and sounds of music. I have had hard crowds to please in the past...all you can do is keep changing it around until you find something that works and NEVER get flustered behind the decks. Its the sign of an amature....

I much prefer playing freestyle to a mixed crowd.....more of a challenge!

In my opinion that's the job of a DJ.....to play to the crowd that they have in front of them, not to play the DJs style of music.

I see this written on this forum time and time again. I had lunch yesterday in King's Cross with a mate of mine who had played at Matter in the Docklands on saturday night. He told me he had a torrid time being pestered throughout by people in the crowd for chart dance hits but how on earth is he going to have those kinds of records in his bag when he has been specifically hired and paid and put up in a hotel by the club on the strength of his reputation as a DJ? So this idea that he has to appease the crowd is a load of bollox. And a disturbingly shoe/shirt crowd from what I heard. DJs are not jukeboxes. The good ones have unique styles, references and tastes. If punters did their homework before they went out then this problem wouldn't arise.

DJs are not jukeboxes. The good ones have unique styles, references and tastes. If punters did their homework before they went out then this problem wouldn't arise.
I agree with you 75% and with Bez 25%. I'll explain.

Yes, good DJs have a style or styles. Usually they'll play a certain club or club night with a music policy that fits their style. Else, they'll have a big enough name that people know what to expect. They should not be expected to deviate significantly from the music upon which they have built their reputation.

BUT, the better DJs do seem to "feel" the audience a bit. Perhaps, in reality, they're leading the flock as opposed to following... who knows? But there are those nights when you feel like the DJ has really connected with what people want to hear, although within a certain style corridor, if you get my meaning.

Leaving the superstar DJs aside, a good DJ will leave his ego at the door and entertain the people, not himself. Any DJ who comes to a gig unprepared and without a backup of chart music will learn the hard way.

OK I see where you are coming from, when the manager of the premises books you to play a certain style of music, that he thinks his crowd wants. You can be sure the crowd that was pestering your mate for chart music was also complaining to management and was not the crowd expected to be there. The owner is going to blame the DJ not himself, and its unlikely that he will be booked there again.

First time that happened to me it was also the last. I ALWAYS bring chart and a mix of certain styles, as you never know what energy or crowd is going to be in a room.
The DJ feeds of this energy, builds it up, takes it down again, plays and teases with the crowd. Its your job to let people dance.

You learn from your mistakes and this strengthens your style. Many of my best nights are when I get to play music I like, to a crowd that wants it. Then you get to be the Superstar DJ for the night. Most times though, its a job, hard work at times, but it pays the bills.

I like someone who plays a bit of variety.. however if I'm going out to hear a particular DJ, I do expect them to play the genre that makes me like them.

I wouldn't be too happy if i went and heard anyone experimenting with some drum and bass when I expected to hear a full-on techno set!

Any DJ who comes to a gig unprepared and without a backup of chart music will learn the hard way.
Que?

I think if you're showing up to play at a techno night, a d&b night, a trance night, or even a disco house night, you can safely leave your chart music at home :lol: No club manager will blame you, unless the club's/night's music policy is top of the pops.

And in a club as big at Matter, which has tried to put on some very credible parties music-wise, I'm sure any such complaints were laughed at :lol:

Back