Have you heard that the rumour......

I see your point guys with regard to playing a certain style of sound on a night advertised for that sound, but a DJ is an entertainer not an artist. If Carl Cox dropped a chart tune (which he has) into a set, everybody would think it was great.

Alfredo, who kick started the whole dance genre back in Amnesia, played a whole different mix of styles that influenced many DJs to set up their own clubs and dance nights.

Its a personal thing for me, I don't like the whole night listening and dancing, to the same sound all the time. It becomes dull. But maybe I'm just getting old and should just stick to the dancing!:rolleyes:

I think most DJs I know have the right attitude and are pretty cool under fire. esp at sosho where there is no physical barrier around the decks. Basically you wouldn't tell a plumber or a teacher how to do their job, so don't tell a DJ either! If someone asks for beyonce, then say OK and play some fuked up dubby edit of crazy in love and if it is silly drunken girls on 'a night out' asking for some funky house 'they can dance to' then play some quentin harris - let's be young = bona fide house which is funky! :D On the rare occasion, I've been allowed to DJ in public :oops: [dragon @ shoreditch , canal 125 @ king's x, big chill @ brick lane, horse & groom @ shoreditch, mook @ Leeds] I've always had idiots come up and demand crap records and whilst you're dying to tell 'em to fk off, you just need to avoid scenes and not embarrass the people paying for your drinks!

Thatsss the oneeeee. Thats my "it's not gonna get any better tonite dick head" song for that particular pub.

Because it was such a diverse crowd sometimes we could have young and old having fun together and **** like that. I would pull out retro and mix commercial house and dance into it, then like, deeper **** at 2am, (Closed at 3),or even trance, in a pub, and ****ing, when ever you'd get the typical bar crowd who were always really, retarded and would crap on about "we came to a ****ing bar not a night club ya ****", no matter what you'd play you could never get a decent reaction because of course, you're a Dj, your not respected. The band tho, its always ok for the band even tho they were a cover band and always just played everyone elses songs with the drums pre recorded and playing off a laptop in pretty much the exact same order every week, that was always ok.... But to have anyone do something musically creative with a song, well, ****... Heavens above. ... And so I'd play ****ing, Fergal Sharkey and there would always be 1 or 2 young people who would say "You don't want to be at this gig do you?" or a middle aged women. They were always so kind and understanding when they'd see you play there music and could just tell you were wasting away playing it.

But then you'd get your lucky nights, like when the Brazillian tourists came :lol:

God I hope I never have to hear that ****ing Good Heart song again.

wow

I think most DJs I know have the right attitude and are pretty cool under fire. esp at sosho where there is no physical barrier around the decks. Basically you wouldn't tell a plumber or a teacher how to do their job, so don't tell a DJ either! If someone asks for beyonce, then say OK and play some fuked up dubby edit of crazy in love and if it is silly drunken girls on 'a night out' asking for some funky house 'they can dance to' then play some quentin harris - let's be young = bona fide house which is funky! :D On the rare occasion, I've been allowed to DJ in public :oops: [dragon @ shoreditch , canal 125 @ king's x, big chill @ brick lane, horse & groom @ shoreditch, mook @ Leeds] I've always had idiots come up and demand crap records and whilst you're dying to tell 'em to fk off, you just need to avoid scenes and not embarrass the people paying for your drinks!

Well said. There are always the punters who know better than the pro in charge, but it is part of the job to deal with it appropriately...

Back